Coffee making gadgets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put tea kettle on silent propane single burner (cheap).
Put coffee in cone filter on cup (cheap).
Pour hot water...add a bit more hot water (very cheap).
Place drained cone filter in sink (no cost).
Stir in a dab of sugar (pretty cheap).
Enjoy the peace while the birds begin to chirp (priceless).

what happen to the cream....you poured it in Bindi's bowl again didnt you!!!

Put coffee grounds in tea ball,
put tea ball in cup,
pour hot water in cup,
let seep,
remove tea ball,
add 0 calorie sweetener,
add lots of cream!
Heaven!!!
Minimal cleanup. - Spiff

This is such a great thread!! I admire all the creative and innovative ways that people are enjoying their morning coffee. I don't have consistent refrigeration so I use 'Mini-Moos' that I found in Wal-Mart. It is 1/2 and 1/2 that doesn't need refrigeration and makes the coffee rich and delicious. A little expensive but worth it!

That's a good lick; living without a refer. There was someone on here a time back that didn't use refrigeration. There would be a learning curve to it but I can see where one could save considerable start up costs without refrigeration. Headache to; if you were using coolers with ice.

Sameer said:
This is such a great thread!! I admire all the creative and innovative ways that people are enjoying their morning coffee. I don't have consistent refrigeration so I use 'Mini-Moos' that I found in Wal-Mart. It is 1/2 and 1/2 that doesn't need refrigeration and makes the coffee rich and delicious. A little expensive but worth it!

Lucky mike said:
what happen to the cream....you poured it in Bindi's bowl again didnt you!!!

You've got to be kidding...I'm not giving up my half & half for a mangy mutt :D
But, she does like a little (low salt) broth on her crunchies.

David uses the Merlitta cone and a permanent gold mesh filter that he lines with a paper towel becuae the coffee he likes is ground so fine. He heats the water in the microwave (we are plugged into an RV park). On the road or in case of a power outage, he would use the gas burner on the range.

We used to sell coffee and hot chocolate on our food cart. We bought the mini moos at Sam's Club by the box. I used to know exactly how much EACH little cup cost us. I do know it was much cheaper to buy it from Sam's than Wal-Mart. We dumped them out of the box (some leak then sour) and stored them in multiple 1 gallon former pickle chip jars.

Simran...I need another battery and another 100 watts solar panel to run my refrigerator. I only have 100 watts now. There are things I miss while camping like dairy and a ice cold soda. I run the refrigerator while traveling but not camping.

T-shirt fabric makes a good filter for many uses -- better than cheese cloth.

Ah... An IMPORTANT topic!

We have a 32 oz French press found on sale for a couple of bucks. That gives us each a morning cup. The trick is finding the right amount of coffee and brewing time. No filters to purchase. Just have to have boiling water any which way you can make it. Also have to have a source of coarse ground coffee, but a lot of grocery stores have grinders. Or grind one's own.

Anyone try boiling water with a solar heater?

I am old school with a 6-cup alum percolator with a coffee filter in the basket. The filter makes for easy clean up and it works with any stove electric, propane, Coleman fuel or alcohol.

I also perk tea with it.

A little coffee or tea goes a long way when perked for 5-10 minutes.

I discovered the little one-cut Melitta cone system a few years back and like it. I got the package that includes the cup, but it'll work with most coffee mugs.
For the last couple years my Doctor has had me using 'unleaded' coffee - so it's good I am not a coffee snob, the taste of Decaf doesn't bother me. In fact, I can't really taste any difference between it and regular canned coffee. I like the taste of coffee - been a coffee drinker for forty-odd years, no reason to stop just because it doesn't have the go-stuff in it.
I recently got an old-style aluminum percolator pot too - haven't tried it yet.

I have a plastic cone holder (Amazon dot com) that sits on my coffee cup. I fold a regular coffee filter to fit so I don't have to buy the more expensive cone filters. I measure my water and heat it in a pan on the stove. Then turn off the burner, throw in my coffee grounds, and let it steep for a couple of minutes and pour through the filter. Works great.

Great Idea! You would have a decently brewed cup of coffee. A nice strong taste and easy cleanup.

Sameer said:
Great Idea! You would have a decently brewed cup of coffee. A nice strong taste and easy cleanup.

gotta be careful tho, let it sit too long and coffee stains anything. :p

Yes it does. I use a small stainless steel pan and it cleans up very easy. When I dump
the brewed coffee into the filter I just wash out the pan for next time.

I really love this little maker, have one I use every morning, and one in the rv ready to go. http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beac...n+Beach+49970+Personal+Cup+One+Cup+Pod+Brewer

I do not buy the pods, don't like the taste. So I make my own. Coffee filters are cheap and have many uses (with glass cleaner to leave no fibers, drain food on it, backup paper towels, etc.). Just put your own coffee grounds in the filter, not much needed, about a tablespoon, fold it up, put it in the little basket. Less grounds used means I can buy the better coffee, it lasts me a long time. The only power used is when it's brewed and then shuts itself off, takes about a minute. There is no water left in the machine to get stale or grow bacteria. Toss the hand made pod. I've successfully used the same 'pod' for up to 3 cups (sometimes I just want one cup, sometimes more). No warming plate, it turns itself off after the water is brewed, no worrying about it after that. It's small so takes up minimal space. Can use tea bags in it with good results. Have used with nothing in it for a hot cup of water for other things (hot chocolate, instant oatmeal, dehydrated foods).

I did try hooking it up to the kill-o-watt, but can't figure the thing out, haha. I imagine it takes less juice than a microwave, but can't confirm that yet.