Coffee making gadgets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently returned home from a trip where I rendezvous with a group in the Mount Rodgers Recreation area in the Virginia Appalachians. it's ridiculous how many of us forgot our coffee pots.

One of my friends brought his one cup backpacking espresso maker like this . . . http://www.ramseyoutdoor.com/produc...p=9217000027&gclid=CNaon_2cwMECFYU9aQodlUYA9g
Every morning his brother acted as Barista making us one small cup after another and that little unit made great coffee.

You just unscrew the top fill with water and load coffee in the basket and put the top back on. Set it on the gas stove with a small cup under the spout and it heats up fairly quick and gives you a great little shot of espresso.
A SEEKER

Totally off topic, masprema. Your blog is a good read and I'd love to know more about you and your travels. How about an introduction thread (and include your blog in your signature to share with others)

I've had an aero press for over a year. It makes great coffee, is easy to clean with or without water and takes up very little room, storage-wise. The filters are kind of pricey. But they sell a re-usable metal filter and its pretty easy to make your own.

cyndi said:
Totally off topic, masprema. Your blog is a good read and I'd love to know more about you and your travels. How about an introduction thread (and include your blog in your signature to share with others)

Looks fully on-topic to me. He gives four ways to make coffee - exactly the topic here. Or am I missing something? :huh:

LeeRevell said:
Looks fully on-topic to me. He gives four ways to make coffee - exactly the topic here. Or am I missing something? :huh:

Yeah, you missed something, LeeRevell. I (as in me: Cyndi) was asking a question totally off topic.

cyndi said:
Yeah, you missed something, LeeRevell. I (as in me: Cyndi) was asking a question totally off topic.

(cue Miss Emily Litella voice....) "Oh! Never mind!" :D
I do go off into the void now and then! Didn't have my coffee.......

View attachment 1733 I use a Italian Moka pot...It will make 4 shots of espresso which is perfect for my morning coffee. A half a paper towel to clean. I also use a French Press when I want to extend the enjoyment of drinking morning coffee. Although it takes more water than I would like to clean it. I am a fan of hot beverages and bought the Butane stove because it fits the Moka pot perfectly and unlike my Coleman stove, I can actually adjust the flame to a perfect level. I am always stopping and having coffee or tea while I am traveling. It takes me forever to get anywhere....Hahaha! Although pricy I like a brand of coffee called Tullys, from the Northwest...The worst coffee I ever purchased was from the Dollar Tree called Mountain High Premium...tasted like wet bark. I make a homemade Cardamom and Cinnamon flavored black tea. You make it in small pan with cream and sugar...Does anyone else make their own Chai?

can I vote for a stove top percolator. simple and easy and I like simple and easy. highdesertranger

cyndi said:
I've had an aero press for over a year. It makes great coffee, is easy to clean with or without water and takes up very little room, storage-wise. The filters are kind of pricey. But they sell a re-usable metal filter and its pretty easy to make your own.

I got the aero press from Amazon a few days ago and I have to say it is great. As Cyndi said, it is very easy to clean without water or with only a tiny amount of water. Makes a GREAT cup of coffee. I'm kind of a simple person with coffee. I don't know expensive and/or fancy coffee from cheap. It either tastes good or not. And I never realized that what I was drinking before didn't really taste good until I tried the same coffee with the Aero press. Amazing. So while I used the k-cup at home and a stove top percolator while out, both are being put aside for this simple little gadget.

It's amazing how many of these solutions we have or still do use.

Our first trip camping we had no portable coffee gear so I grabbed the filter basket and pot off of the Mr Coffee along with a tea pot to heat the water in. The whole group laughed their butts off until they saw that black gold filling the pot. Then they lined up cups in hand.

Most of the time we have been primitive campers and a Melita cone filter provided the morning brew. The local store stopped carrying the big #6 filters and the #4 took to long to make a pot. So I went back in time, this time grabbing the basket off of our Bunn coffee maker and found that it sat perfectly on the camping coffee pot. It did just as well as the Melita cone and we have lots of filters.

Last year after setting up the 490w of solar we were discussing what we could do with it. Honey asked if we could run the auto drip we keep if we ever had hook ups. We have used it since because not only does it save propane, according to Honey, it tase better than the mud I make on the stove.

Next year we will change again. After getting a Kill a watt I tested the Bunn coffee maker. The auto drip is nice but we are spoiled by the 3 min brew time of the Bunn. I also don't use big loads without the solar assisting, so when I get up pre dawn, I have to wait or use the stove. The Bunn keeps the water hot in between uses with a small heater that pulls a few amps. A much larger heater comes on after use but otherwise it's a very manageable load. It will allow me to make a quick pot of coffee with no noise and no drain on the battery if I wait to reheat the water when the sun comes up.

Aside from that I have the regular and mini stove top espresso makers, no problem staying up until the fire burns down with them around.

Folding silicone #4 cone takes almost no space: http://www.rei.com/product/798277/gsi-outdoors-collapsible-javadrip-slim-drip-coffee-maker
#4 filters. Paper towel will work too but can be messy. The 'permanent' metal filters are hard to clean.
Mr. Coffee thermal carafe
Electric coffee grinder that plugs into the inverter
Whole bean coffee

This works great for us in the motorhome. 1/3 cup beans for one pot (about 32 oz) coffee.

I don't really like the taste from the Melitta single-cup cones for some reason. I think the larger cone and larger amount of coffee allow it to "steep" better for a less "papery" taste.

Cleanup is extremely easy -- grounds go in the trash to absorb odors, toss or burn the paper cone. We both drink it black so cleaning the mugs is rather easy too, a quick rinse or even just a wipe when conserving water.

What I do is cold brew my coffee in a 12 cup Bodum press($10 locally)
Simply add coffee, water and let sit between 6 and 12 hours it doesn't make much difference when you add cream and sugar, If I'm drinking it black 8 hours is about perfect. After it's done sitting just push the plunger down and pour.
IMG_20150110_132209_zps4b11f9ca.jpg

Water tempature doesn't matter much as long as it's not freezing or scalding. no electricity or fuel used in making my coffee.
The coffee tastes a bit different this way, less acidic.

SillyLilly said:
Folding silicone #4 cone takes almost no space: http://www.rei.com/product/798277/gsi-outdoors-collapsible-javadrip-slim-drip-coffee-maker
#4 filters. Paper towel will work too but can be messy. The 'permanent' metal filters are hard to clean.
Mr. Coffee thermal carafe
Electric coffee grinder that plugs into the inverter
Whole bean coffee

This works great for us in the motorhome. 1/3 cup beans for one pot (about 32 oz) coffee.

I don't really like the taste from the Melitta single-cup cones for some reason. I think the larger cone and larger amount of coffee allow it to "steep" better for a less "papery" taste.

Cleanup is extremely easy -- grounds go in the trash to absorb odors, toss or burn the paper cone. We both drink it black so cleaning the mugs is rather easy too, a quick rinse or even just a wipe when conserving water.
I have this item and it works very well. Boil a pot of water and pour. Have an insulated 7/11 28oz super insulated coffee mug that keeps it hot for about an hour. Even use it backpacking.

bialetti_1.jpg

277114_1_41

I just use regular coffee in it. I make it strong and cool it down with nonfat milk from my fridge.

I've had better coffee, but rarely faster

It is likely that this thread is the MOST IMPORTANT one on this site   :p  

I have more than one way to brew my java ~ 

1st)  Cold brewing is CLEARLY the best tasting. It is also the simplest, & saves the most energy too.
Measure ground coffee into mason jar, fill with cold water, SHAKE for 15 secs, place in coldest reasonable location for 12 to 48 hours. 
!! Yes, 2 days later and it is still GREAT, low acid, java !! 
Best is with lightly roasted, & doubling up on the number of coffee scoops, making Tea-like, low-acid java! 
      - If you have a sensitive stomach Cold Brew is the only way to go - 
          - Your stomach will totally LOVE YOU for the rest of the day  - 
After at least 8 hours: Pour through a paper filter into cup. 
Replace mason jar to refer to keep coffee smooth.  I like it cold, sometimes, but heat it when I want. 
Clean up means just rinsing out my mason jar a couple times, spooning more coffee in, adding water, & place in refer for the next day consumption. 

2nd) Melitta cone, paper filter, Tea-pot, hot water -- You know the drill, people. 

3rd) French Press & then Pour through Melitta cone paper filter, into cup
 problem with this method is the coffee gets cold if you don't pre-heat the coffee cup

4th) Drip coffee maker, mounted under the top cabinet, paper filter. 
not recommended, requires 100Vac, rarely used, coffee come out wrong 70% of time

5th)  and, the most important secret of all .......  Coffee ice cream, straight out of the tub, using an over-sized spoon.  You get all the Caffeine, Dairy, Calories, & Calcium you need, without even dirtying a coffee cup.  
Hahahaaa!    Really though....   I really do do this!!!    :angel:

:idea: Poor man's french press:

Boil water in a pot, remove heat, (Optimal heat is 195-200), stir in ground coffee of choice, cover and let steep for 5 minutes, pour thru fine mesh strainer into cup.
Works with loose tea as well.

A french press is merely a strainer on a stick that holds the grounds on the bottom of the pot.

[I've found that paper filters remove the oils and affect the taste.]

minimotos95 said:
What I do is cold brew my coffee in a 12 cup Bodum press($10 locally)
Simply add coffee, water and let sit between 6 and 12 hours it doesn't make much difference when you add cream and sugar, If I'm drinking it black 8 hours is about perfect. After it's done sitting just push the plunger down and pour.
IMG_20150110_132209_zps4b11f9ca.jpg

Water tempature doesn't matter much as long as it's not freezing or scalding. no electricity or fuel used in making my coffee.
The coffee tastes a bit different this way, less acidic.

Will any coffee press work equally well for cold-steeped coffee? I don't need mine to be hot, just caffeinated....