Cigarette smoke in conversion van.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooManyDogs

Reaction score
There is a van in what looks, and is described as, immaculate condition. Unfortunately, the current owner is a smoker and from talking to him, a pretty heavy one at that. He's had it for two years, and driven it 6000 miles. I'm willing to look at it (it's two hours away) but fear the worst. I can't stand the smell of smoke. It's an 1994 Chevy conversion with 135,000 miles. Leather seats but cloth/carpet/plastic interior otherwise. He's asking 2300, firm.

How hard would it be to clean the interior and rid the cigarette smoke? Anybody done it successfully? And what was involved? Should I not even bother? Thanks for any help.

Very difficult to get it completely out, your best bet is a good detail shop and have things shampooed, cleaned and polished.

I'm a smoker and my Grandson, who is blind, can't tolerate smoke or any smell of it. I have to shower and put on clothes that are in a clothing bag so as not to get the odor from the air in my apartment.

Good Luck. Rob

I agree with Gunny - very difficult to do on your own.

Before you even go look at it, maybe contact a couple of detailing shops and ask what they suggest and how much it's going to cost.

Use the cost as a bargaining chip!

My first Class "B" was owned by a smoker. He had the windows open when I looked at it, so I did not notice. But once it was parked at my place and closed up, it stunk. I tried a number of products. Nothing worked long term. The smell would be back in a day or two. I even tried renting an ozone generator for 3 days. After a week the smell was back.

Thanks for the replies! I will contact the detail shops here and see what they say. I definitely don't want to live in a van reeking of cigarettes.

I'd read that ozone machines or Ozium could work. Glad to hear your first hand experience!

Keep looking. Or plan on gutting the entire interior, including the heating/cooling ducts.

TooManyDogs said:
There is a van in what looks, and is described as, immaculate condition. Unfortunately, the current owner is a smoker and from talking to him, a pretty heavy one at that. He's had it for two years, and driven it 6000 miles. I'm willing to look at it (it's two hours away) but fear the worst. I can't stand the smell of smoke. It's an 1994 Chevy conversion with 135,000 miles. Leather seats but cloth/carpet/plastic interior otherwise. He's asking 2300, firm.

How hard would it be to clean the interior and rid the cigarette smoke? Anybody done it successfully? And what was involved? Should I  not even bother? Thanks for any help.

Hi TMD -- Years ago, a family member GAVE me his Isuzu Rodeo which was mechanically and cosmetically A-OK. I was thrilled, except that the truck stunk like an ashtray. He chain-smoked in it for maybe 5 years before giving it to me. I went to a detailer (housekeeping wasn't his thing either!) and paid $125 for complete detailing including smoke removal and it worked! It never came back, I was shocked! I have no idea what they used, but as others have said, it must be a common problem detailers have to fix. Good luck!

Just as a note, if there is a filter in the air system they are often overlooked. If it has one change it to a good quality filter. It will help a lot.

on the hard surfaces any household degreasers/cleaners will work,on cloth/carpet steam cleaner with degreaser
its a plant based oil so anything that will clean up veggie oil will work,a couple sticks of nag champa and unless you're severely allergic or sensitive you should be good to go,a detailer is the easy way but their chemical scents bug me more than smoke

if you can taste your air freshener its to much,i'm chem sensitive so i get dizzy and my lips tingle so only natural scents here

With leather seats the majority of the difficult to remove odors will be in the carpet and pad. You can buy aftermarket carpet and pad sets for most vans for a couple hundred dollars. Or better yet, ditch the carpet and pad completely and put down rubber flooring (Easier to keep clean).

Years ago, my dad, who was a heavy smoker, gave me an old jacket of his. It was a nice jacket, but stank of cigarette smoke. I let that thing air out in my garage for two years before I ever wore it.

I read recently that researchers had proven that third hand smoke was as toxic as second hand smoke, so even if you got the smell to go away I wonder if it would still be off gassing toxins and for how long?

Thanks for your replies! The smokey van had been sold when I called this morning. So issue averted and maybe health saved. :)

It's still OK to smoke in your own vehicle? Right. I have stopped rolling and driving at the same time unless it's a straight ahead with no traffic.

wagoneer said:
It's still OK to smoke in your own vehicle? Right. I have stopped rolling and driving at the same time unless it's a straight ahead with no traffic.
Sure, why not. But I won't be buying your vehicle. ;)

There's a product called Odo-ban that works really well for getting rid of bad odors.
I've used it to cover up the scent of a mouse that was decaying under my apartment's refrigerator that was bolted to the floor (ah...college...).
For most applications, a few drops on a cotton ball or folded up piece of tissue or paper towel works really well.
It can also be watered down and used a spray on soft surfaces and carpets.
It has a smell of it's own, but it's not too noticeable (at least to my nose).

The product was originally designed to be used to cover the smell of ostomy bags, so it'll cover most odors pretty well.

TooManyDogs said:
The smokey van had been sold when I called this morning. So issue averted and maybe health saved. :)
That is certainly one way to solve the problem. The smell of tobacco (tar & nicotine) is very hard to get rid of. The problem with covering one oder up with another is that you are still breathing it in, and may become ill without knowing the reason why.

I certainly understand evan as a smoker ashtray's smell bad even though I roll my own and the tobacco is certified organic with no additives, used to buy from an older gent in Virginia one leaf for 10 bucks shipped. Flu cured home grown and about as organic as it gets I would think you would not want to sit around a campfire without a breathing device or oxygen mask, the reason I smoke outside my home and truck is obvious. Just saying

wagoneer said:
I certainly understand evan as a smoker ashtray's smell bad even though I roll my own and the tobacco is certified organic with no additives, used to buy from an older gent in Virginia one leaf for 10 bucks shipped. 

One leaf for $10.? WOW, that's a money making plant! How many cigarettes do you get from one leaf?

wagoneer said:

It's been years since I have done that.  Pearly Sweetcake convinced me to retire.   :cool:  :angel:  :D

Signed;

The Calistoga Kid.