Building a Class B camper from a Conversion Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djkeev

Reaction score
Well, I'm new here folks! 

I posted in the newbie thread already introducing myself and my Van. 

Let's recap.....
My name is Dave, an aging but not yet old baby boomer happily married to my High School Sweet Heart since 1975. Two Daughters, Seven Grandchildren (the oldest daughter got carried away!  :shy:  ) and a dog, Grover, an eight year old Golden Retriever. 

My Van doesn't yet have a name but it is a .......
2003 Dodge Ram Van B1500.
103,000 miles
Burgandy
5.2 (318) V8
Auto trans
2WD
Long wheel base (127") but not the extended body. 
It has the low (14-16"?) high top on it which gives just shy of 62" inside with the flat interior ceiling. 
It has the standard crappy Conversion Van interior, two non swiveling rear Captains chairs and a folding rear bench seat that makes into a very marginal bed. 
There is Liberal use of oak which is of course aging and weather stained, quite ratty looking actually. 
The PO smoked and his ashes fell onto the drivers seat burning many tiny holes into the upholstery. 

Someone drove into something just a tad lower than the roof scraping away some Gel Coat and cracking the structure a little.  (This doesn't concern me, the roof clear coat is peeling and needs to be repainted, a little fiberglass repair is actually childs play) 

There are two rust spots, one on either side, both about a foot in front of the rear wheel opening. I'm guessing this is a common Dodge rust location? 
I will cut out the cancer and weld in some new metal. (I'm handy like that) 

The running boards are Aluminum but they've seen their share of rocks and curbs, I'll scrap them and install some new ones. We need the running boards because of the Van's height. I have a bad knee and my wife has a bad back, we're quite the pair sometimes! Hobbling along like two decrepit old farts! 

The Van has side decoration but the years of Sun have lifted and faded them. I'll remove them and put on something newer. 

Tires are new, Van starts right up and runs stong. No oil leaks at all. 
No trailer hitch, never has been one, which makes me smile for this tells me that the drive train has been gently used. It was a people mover....... Not a trailer hauler. 

I'm excited! 
My Wife is apprehensive........ She fears yet another project! (Long story) 

This converting of the Conversion into a true Class B will take awhile, be patient. I'll add to this as a build thread for others to take inspiration from or to say...."uh oh! I'm NOT doing what HE did!!"

Anyway......

A few photos.........

Thanks for looking! 

Dave

Here's the plan........ A rolling hotel room / guest room.

Some sort of a combination of these two Sportsmobile floor plans.
It is just the two of us traveling.
I've no use for a dinette set up and want a hotel quality pillow top innerspring mattress. A full time bed just begging to be used without fussing with table tops and seat cushions forming a marginal sleeping situation.

A full bathroom (of course on the small side)

A galley, but not a kitchen. We can cook outside or on a flip up shelf using our camp stove.

An awning.

Propane heat, built in with a thermostat, not just a little buddy type thing. A proper horizontal RV Propane tank is a must have.

Air conditioning, I know, shore power is a must for such luxuries.

A 12v house battery system. No need for solar, I'm not planning on boondocking it anywhere for endless time periods.

Swiveling front seats.

A small QUIET generator for those occassional needs

Flat screen TV with DVD / Apple / Amazon Fire Stick ability.

Dave

For now, this build thread will be a collection of ideas, concepts, products, sources, etc as I formulate a solid game plan.

The overall feeling I'll have as I build this unit will be this......

Anyway....... Its only money!

My Kitchen Stove......

My Kitchen Refrigeration...... A Truck Fridge electric ice chest a TF41.... I've had it for awhile, it works great!

We also carry this one, it's portable and we use it for those times we want some ice or ice cream....... A special camping treat!

The bed is way too high but I like the overall color and finish of this......

Another design that appeals to me.......

You do know that those non-swivelling rear captains seats will fit right in up front in the drivers' compartment on the swivel bases up there, don't you!!

If the seat mounting bolts don't quite fit right all it takes is drilling out new holes but I'd bet they'll be an easy fit!

You can get rid of the cigarette burned drivers seat and repurpose the 2 rear seats all in one stroke.

The bed, well that's a different story...to the recycling bin with it!!

And yes, the initial feeling with the van and a lot of plans is that money is going to have wings.

I named my new van 'The Great White Money Pit' for it's first 6 months of ownership.... :rolleyes: Yours can be the Burgundy Money Pit... :D

"Almost there", thanks for the info about the rear seats fitting in the front.
I had already been wondering if they would fit up front but I wasn't sure.

Sadly, there aren't any swivel seat bases up front, so acquiring some will be part of my "winged money"!

I found some for $200 each, designed for the 03 Dodge Ram Van.....
I'd like to locate some used bases like this but haven't yet located a source.

http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvvanseatbases/rvvanDodgeseatbases.htm

LeeRevell, About the bed length, I've pondered and wondered and thought and stressed about this. 
To install the bed length wise will really suck up some serious and precious Van interior real estate. Doing so would horribly hamper what I can fit in besides a bed!
Taking 60" of space for a bed is hugely different than 80" ........ and I'm only dealing with a useable length of about 110" or so. 

We know that We want a spacious bed.
We currently have an 86 Vanagon "Weekender" we've been traveling to Montana and back in. The size of it's bed is barely a double and is hard foam with various cushion joints resulting from folding down the rear bench seat....... Not a joy to sleep upon. 

This Van I am building will be not only our nightly hotel room as we Dash West to see the Grandkids, but it will also be our "guest room" upon arrival.
Our last visit, just weeks ago, found us in the Boys bunk beds! 
Sadly....... We are way beyond the bunk bed stage of our life!
Anyway, 

I've laid across the Van on the existing fold out rear seat. I fit........ Mostly..... If I totally stretch out my body I can touch both windows with my head and toes but thats not a natural sleep position.

The Sportsmobile drawing shows a 73" bed which I'm hopeful holds true in the Dodge (their drawings are classic GM / Ford bodies) 

I've read member Falcon's build post with great interest......
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-FALCON-S-Aventuremobile-conversion-thread

While I don't know his year, it is a Dodge series not unlike mine. His photos of the stripped interior clearly show the Van rear wall side structure which isn't invasive like GM's is.

He says he is 5' 9 1/2" and fits fine, I'm 5'10" so I'm hopeful.

He got his bed in and he seems happy with his design, while his layout won't be mine, we of course are all individuals with different needs, the basic concept will be similar.

I also have the Conversion Windows which are taller and it will be interesting to see how they impact my design.

Falcoln's photos..........

Thanks for your interest and feedback! I'm blazing a new trail for me, if I can utilize existing blaze marks of those who have already tread this path, it will be a VERY good thing! 

Dave

Re the swivel seats - head out to a scrap yard and check for swivel seats in any of the conversion vans there.

You will probably need to drill new mounting holes in the bottom of the base to fit them to the floor and again, new holes for the seat mount.

Make sure when you're figuring out the base to vehicle mounting that you allow enough room for the seat to swivel with the door closed, taking in to consideration the ability to move the seat forward/back when swivelling it. This is really important for the passenger seat because you will be turning it 180 degrees. Not as difficult for the drivers' seat since you'll probably only be turning it 90 degrees.

My bed is 8" longer than I am tall and I find it is barely enough. In addition to your height, you need room for the space above your head on the pillow and for your toes to flop. I recommend laying on a regular bed in a comfortable position with someone else moving a piece of board at the foot of the bed until you find the minimum comfortable length.

Being 6'4" tall, bed length is always critical for me. Hopefully the Dodge is wider than my Ford. The inside rear width of the Gen Three Ford runs 5'9", so would be very cramped for me. The sofa/bed running back behind the driver's seat is better for me. But I am a lone wolf, so my bed can be narrower too.
I look forward to seeing your project come together.

Well, I was just looking at the Van again (No time to actually WORK on it right now) and with great joy realized that all four of my door windows pop open from the bottom.... YES!!! I had wondered about this and all of the good ventilation they could provide. So many units have fixed glass anymore.

Dave

I revisited the potential bed width issue.
If I lie upon the folding bed cross wise and put my feet against one window, my head just misses the Conversion Van's icky wooden window sill.
Not a generous amount of space but completely workable.

From glass trim finish to glass trim finish is a smidgen shy of 66".

Now, the conversion people built in the side panels that protrude into the passenger area three to four inches below the windows.
I wondered why? Are there metal body braces lurking inside that will prevent me from fitting in a 74" long Queen bed?

To find out I removed a window sill in the rear.

Inside I found lots of Air Conditioning hoses and fiberglass insulation but no vertical braces below the window.  It is empty space below the window to the top of the wheel well.

Hmmm....... What braces lurk looking forward or rearward?

I pushed the inuslation away and stuck my hand as far to the rear as I could..... Nothing until the corner vertical.
Probing forward I found a vertical brace just behind the forward large window.
You can see it where the wires are.....

I then measured from the rear body corner vertical to the vertical brace where the wires are and came up with 60", that's the width of a Queen Sized bed.

So, with a little bit of Conversion side panel modifying/rearranging I believe I can fit in a 60"x74" mattress.

I of course cannot be 100% certain of this until I remove those interior trim pieces.

I do have hooe though!

Dave

ColoRockiesFan said:
LOVE This plan!  :heart:

You know what? 
I do too! ^^^^

I am drawn back to this design again and again. 
It is one of the best ceiling treatments I've ever seen.

It is built in a Standard Chevy Tintop Van. 

Here is the link, scroll past the first batch of photos and click on "load remaining 69 images” to see the full set. 

Enjoy!! 

Dave

Just laid on my bed and measured the space I utilize lengthwise..... 68".

This 74" bed could so totally work.......

While our house mattress is still "comfy" it's aging.
Any bed monies would probably be applied to a new house mattress and the house mattress would probably undergo length reduction surgery.
If the shortened end was placed at the feet end..... No harm, no foul.

Dave

So, lets talk headliner.

I've got the low Conversion Van "high top" fiberglass roof. I'd hazard a guess at 14"-16" high.

Inside the ceiling is flat across and only 61 1/2" tall. The Fiberglass roof is obviously higher for it has a raised center hump down the center.

So I wonder....... What is involved to mine this "wasted" space?

I searched the forums and read about some high top conversions where the fiberglass was insulated and nailers were installed for fastening a ceiling to.

Honestly, I havent been impressed with the "professional" quality of the finished product. It is a lot of work and They are all functional but many Have an obvious DIY appearance.
I'm keeping an eye towards eventual resale appeal.

I built my Vanagon thinking I'd keep it until I die....... And here I am lusting over a Dodge!

I Ask myself, "can I do a better finish than most have done?"
Answer...... "I can, I Was a finish carpenter for years."

I then look at the time involved to create a slighty higher ceiling by adding nailers and insulation.
I Ask myself, "Am I willing to invest the weeks of spare time to make this ceiling a few inches higher?"
My simple gut response answer is a flat "No, I'm not."

So, what can I do with this humdrum cookie cutter foam backed cloth that I have?

Minimum, it needs cleaning, the PO smoked...... The Van reeks of stale smoke!

But I think by keeping it flat as it is, using some 1/4" Birch Plywood as the ceiling base that I Can easily and inexpensively replicate the ceiling shown a few posts above and in photos found below......

Now......
The front storage area over the front seats is a horrible waste of space and can be much better utilized quite easily. That Tiny stupid aging TV...... Gone!

I can Design in an above visor storage shelf as well as increased storage space accessed from the rear.

Big thoughts....... Big thoughts........

Dave

Gutting my conversion van fiberglass roof was basically the first thing i did. I keep two 9.5 foot surfboards up there.

The shelf over the front seats was basically 1/8 inch luan with the foo foo velour, mostly held up by the tv faceplate.

Now it is 3/4 inch plywood chosen for the Bend it already had and would have eventually formed anyway.

Both rear and front shelf were designed to increase strength of sides.

Lots of storage space up there, and in the back too. Mine had 4 vents, and 4 speakers. 2 speakers were unwired, 2 vents hooked to nothing. Mine also had some pink insulation, here and there, like the installer was given one 8 foot piece, some crack to smoke and directions to get er done.

Mine was also a smokers van, and a people mover with young kids, and all sorts of ugly smells were embedded within the foo foo velour interior.

When you gut the roof, you might be able to see where there is wood reinforcement in the fiberglass, that takes a screw nicely.

IMG_0987_zps7fa55895.jpg

On mine, there is 1/2" thick 4 inch wide strips of OSB plywood sandwiched in the fiberglass just above where you see these Oak strips running front to back.

You roof 'might' be built similar. There is so much wasted space in a conversion van interior.

SternWake said:
Gutting my conversion van fiberglass roof was basically the first thing i did. I keep two 9.5 foot surfboards up there.

Lots of storage space up there, and in the back too. Mine had 4 vents, and 4 speakers. 2 speakers were unwired, 2 vents hooked to nothing. Mine also had some pink insulation, here and there, like the installer was given one 8 foot piece, some crack to smoke and directions to get er done.
On mine, there is 1/2" thick 4 inch wide strips of OSB plywood sandwiched in the fiberglass just above where you see these Oak strips running front to back.

You roof 'might' be built similar. There is so much wasted space in a conversion van interior.

Any chance you could post pics of your van?
Some of us are very visual learners and need pics to follow what you mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk