chuck box

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyndi

Reaction score
Anyone else use one? I got one because it makes moving my kitchen in and out of the van easy and keeps everything pretty clean (free of my hairy dog's dog hair)

I got this one from because it's lightweight.
http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Sherpa-Table/dp/B00CHC0AJK
 I like it. But it hasn't withstood the test of time. It's also not easy to clean. I can wipe it down, but the dust gets ingrained into the material. I also keep it covered to keep it clean for spills so it doesn't attract pests.

I saw plans for a wooden one that I like, if I didn't want something lighter.
http://www.goodshomedesign.com/build-your-own-camp-kitchen-chuck-box-free-plan/

It is a good concept, what has stopped me through the years is durability. pictures can be very missleading. Still rely on wood boxes I have not found a great folding table, good ones yes.
"shirpa" ?? REI has lost a lot of my business as of late again wood boxes always win out over folding aluminum

ok I need to take many more pics of my gear.  I never really thought anybody would ever be interested in gear so I never really took the time to document my gear.  so here are a couple of not so good pics of my chuck box.
oregon 044.jpg
it's sitting on top of the 55 gallon drum.
oregon 051.jpg
this pic is a little closer but is cut off.  a little back story my pops(r.i.p.) built this box in the early 1950's,  I upgraded about 10 years ago.  I put tie down points and metal corners,  the corners were starting to show a lot of wear.  so this box is about 60 years old and will stay with me forever.  it's a family heirloom.  I must do some better documentation.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• oregon 044.jpg
    oregon 044.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 38
  • oregon 051.jpg
    oregon 051.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 36
I picked up one of these at a thrift store years ago for about $10.  I find it just perfect for me, I keep one leaf up inside the van, and have 2 sets of white plastic drawers that fit perfectly under the open leaf.

When moving it outside, my fold luggage carrier (mini hand truck) slides under it easily to make moving it a breeze.  It will open up to a total of 7' with both leaves up.

I see various versions of these around occasionally, some have drawers like mine, and some have shelves. Some seem like they're no more than maybe a foot wide when both leaves are closed.

If anything were to happen to mine, I think I'd just build a quickie without the center drawers, and just slide another set of plastic drawers under it.  It makes such a marvelous work space, both indoors and outdoors, yet when folded can take up no more room than a small nightstand.

portable_desk.jpg

Attachments

• portable_desk.jpg
    portable_desk.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 14
highdesertranger said:
ok I need to take many more pics of my gear...
...I must do some better documentation.  highdesertranger

Quoting because we're going to hold you to this

Off Grid 24/7 said:
...my fold luggage carrier (mini hand truck) slides under it easily to make moving it a breeze

I really like the way you've used this and will keep my eyes peeled for something similar.  Looks like just the thing for our set up, actually.

Can you tell us more about the hand truck?  I'm using an old folding luggage cart with a crate zip-tied to it right now.  It takes too much room, and the wheels are too small.  Looking for something more flexible and rugged.

Thanks!

Vickie

Here's a pic of a luggage cart similar to mine, I  picked mine up used, but someone said they had them at Sam's Club.  I usually get all of my stuff at thrift stores, yard sales, and flea markets...  I think I paid $5 for mine.

I really like this particular style, because you don't have to hold up the weight of the item you're moving.  I'll load up my 2 x 7 gallon water jugs on it and roll them across a park to fill with ease.

luggage_carrier.jpg

Attachments

• luggage_carrier.jpg
    luggage_carrier.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts