Choosing the right van/rv for me - Help pls?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisahi

Reaction score
Hi All:

I'm having so much trouble deciding which vehicle will be the best for my needs and top wants!  Two #1 priorities:  I'd like to stand up in the vehicle (I'm 5'9") and I'd like to be able to drive down not so great dirt roads to go boondocking.  Those Sprinter/Transit/Nissan high roof vans look great, but when I look down below at the ground clearance - not so much.  I don't want to tow something, and I don't want to drive a big rig either.  I could make due just fine with a Homer bucket w.c., and rig up a shower system too.  But I'd love to be able to start my day getting dressed, making coffee and warming up inside my vehicle standing up.  Those class B van conversions seem nice, but there's a lot I don't have to have about them and I feel that I probably could make better use of space on my own.  I'd like to be able to have solar so I could charge and run a few creature comforts like my laptop, cell phone, fans and a fridge, and maybe other 12 volt appliances too.  And maybe on a longer road trip, I'd like to stop at an actual rv park and take advantage of their amenities for a spell, so I guess that might mean having to have some type of self-contained or black water hook up system for the toilet?  I'm not mechanical, although I know the basics of good vehicle maintainence, and I'm willing and able to learn new skills.  But I do want something reliable.  

All your thoughts and referrals will be greatly appreciated!  Happy trails to all!  Lisa

The 2016 4x4 Sprinter has increased its ground clearance, but I can't find what it is. it also starts at $44,000, bare nekkid.

Generally speaking, you can't really expect livability and high clearance. With a higher profile, you also get higher wind resistance. Think crosswind on a freeway at 70 mph. And if you're going over rough country, you would really have to anchor all your stuff down inside -- bungee cords aren't going to do it.

You can go boondocking in a regular rig. They may have a 22' length limit for motorhomes, but if a motorhome can get there, it's no problem for regular vans. Most have graded gravel roads. Just slow down and you'll be okay.

I've gone up a 4WD road in a Chevy Chevelle, but I did it at an absolute C R A W L, and I had to really pick where my wheels went. I even got down again. But I wouldn't do it again.

If you really want to get into rough country, either hike, or use your cargo van for living and tow a small Jeep. And always remember: A) 4WD is mainly useful for dealing with the results of poor judgment, and B) A good 4WD can get stuck just as bad as a low-clearance sports car. See this article for an example of 4WD combined with extremely poor judgment: http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/0...s-gps-left-them-stranded-in-death-valley.html

At least the dog survived.

Lisahi said:
Thanks Beth, I'll head on over.  The obsession continues ...    Lisa

Hi again, Beth:  I have seen your video before!  I have watched most of those I.N. videos, but I'm glad you directed back to them, as I had forgotten some thing - like your set up, which I really liked the first time around and even more so now.  Great job!  Hope you are well:  Lisa

TrainChaser said:
The 2016 4x4 Sprinter has increased its ground clearance, but I can't find what it is.  it also starts at $44,000, bare nekkid.

Generally speaking, you can't really expect livability and high clearance.  With a higher profile, you also get higher wind resistance.  Think crosswind on a freeway at 70 mph.  And if you're going over rough country, you would really have to anchor all your stuff down inside -- bungee cords aren't going to do it.

You can go boondocking in a regular rig.  They may have a 22' length limit for motorhomes, but if a motorhome can get there, it's no problem for regular vans.  Most have graded gravel roads.  Just slow down and you'll be okay.

I've gone up a 4WD road in a Chevy Chevelle, but I did it at an absolute C R A W L, and I had to really pick where my wheels went.  I even got down again.  But I wouldn't do it again.

If you really want to get into rough country, either hike, or use your cargo van for living and tow a small Jeep.  And always remember:  A) 4WD is mainly useful for dealing with the results of poor judgment, and B) A good 4WD can get stuck just as bad as a low-clearance sports car.  See this article for an example of 4WD combined with extremely poor judgment:  http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/0...s-gps-left-them-stranded-in-death-valley.html

At least the dog survived.
Hi TrainChaser:  Wow, was laughing out loud until I read about the boy dying, so sad.  But it's good to hear that I don't need 4WD for 'regular' boondocking.  What type of vehicle are you referring to when you said 'regular rig'?  And who has a 22' limit for motorhomes?  And overall, vans can probably go where motorhomes cannot, correct?  Not that I'm taking any crazy roads, but just don't want to have my only option be a cement pad at an rv park.  As for slowing down, my kids are already complaining about my slow driving speed, but still, I don't want to naively think I can drive somewhere no problem and then scrape some essential part off the bottom of the vehicle.

Thanks for the input about the clearance/height/wind issues.  Did not know about that!  So, any recommendations for vehicles for me to look at?  Thanks:  Lisa

I own both a Class-B (19ft) and a truck with a cab over camper on it (8ft). I don't own one, but I've spent some time hanging out with my buddy in his Class-C Dodge (20ft). I must say that for creature comforts like bathroom, shower, large bed, tall enough to walk around in (I'm 6"2) and just sheer space for people, pets, stuff, tools, TV's computers, and the such, you can't go wrong with a class-C. Especially the smaller ones like 16-20ft.

My buddy has taken his Dodge up some scary roads and its always done fine. It can't like go rock crawling, or mud bogging, but can take most dirt roads with little worry.

steamjam1 said:
I own both a Class-B (19ft) and a truck with a cab over camper on it (8ft). I don't own one, but I've spent some time hanging out with my buddy in his Class-C Dodge (20ft). I must say that for creature comforts like bathroom, shower, large bed, tall enough to walk around in (I'm 6"2) and just sheer space for people, pets, stuff, tools, TV's computers, and the such, you can't go wrong with a class-C. Especially the smaller ones like 16-20ft.

My buddy has taken his Dodge up some scary roads and its always done fine. It can't like go rock crawling, or mud bogging, but can take most dirt roads with little worry.

Thank you Steamjam1, that is really helpful information.  I'm not planning on any rock crawling, etc, either, but was concerned about the big divots in dirt roads (which I do know to do my best to avoid!).  And I guess a small one would not be too difficult to drive ...  Take Care!

TrainChaser said:
And always remember:  A good 4WD can get stuck just as bad as a low-clearance sports car

Also see what happened to James in Mexico.  His van is AWD:  (stuck in mud starts at 3:47)

introverting said:
Also see what happened to James in Mexico.  His van is AWD:  (stuck in mud starts at 3:47)

Yep. It'll happen.

@Lisahi:  You could also consider a regular/extended cargo van with an aftermarket high top like the one below:

Attachments

• chevy--express--extended--hi-top.jpg
    chevy--express--extended--hi-top.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 4