Choosing a Travel Partner

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry said:
Wow. I must have been the luckiest guy on here. My wife was OK with whatever I did. Me, her, and two small kids in a van on the beach in Texas was the most enjoyable to me but they liked the mountains in Colorado and NM. The worst thing she ever did to me was to die before I did.

That is one of the sweetest things I have ever heard. 

Other than a pet, if that wouldn't work for you, one solution would be to find a travel partner who has his/her own rig. You could still have someone to talk and share experiences with but not the severe stress of living in the same confined space. Just a thought.

mockturtle said:
Other than a pet, if that wouldn't work for you, one solution would be to find a travel partner who has his/her own rig.  You could still have someone to talk and share experiences with but not the severe stress of living in the same confined space.  Just a thought.

I was thinking the same thing except one could live in the van and one could live in a trailer being towed. Not while it's being towed! Only when parked. Unless you are really mad at them. Joking! Lol.

The trailer could be a small one as an extra room -not a living space- to gain some separation; we all need our alone time.

Canine said:
I was thinking the same thing except one could live in the van and one could live in a trailer being towed. Not while it's being towed! Only when parked. Unless you are really mad at them. Joking! Lol.

The trailer could be a small one as an extra room -not a living space- to gain some separation; we all need our alone time.

In the words of a very wise one - Don't sell the van!

I don't think I'd ever be comfortable being the one to own the trailer   :p

Maybe it's because I've been left high and dry a couple of times albeit not without my wheels but still!

I was picky 43 years ago, and it paid off. Even if she did try to dump me when she left for college. So I went to college, too. Guess she figured it was fate - or eternal punishment for something she did in a past life...

I've tried the two legged variety, unsuccessfully, so far. 

current check list goes something like this: 
- Four legs!
- Short hair!
- Flea & Tick free (always)
- Potty trained 
- Responsive to verbal commands (always)
- On leash & off leash (any time)
- Active, can run along bicycle
- Lets me brush teeth
- Lets me bath & brush easily 
- Mid to small in size
- No farts !!! 

----- i'm envisioning a miniature Boxer type of breed ---- 

Now I don't know where you got the idea that four legged life forms don't fart. Come meet my wife's last dog ( I tried to find homes for them after she passed but this one wouldn't go) and she will change your mind.

Terry said:
Now I don't know where you got the idea that four legged life forms don't fart. Come meet my wife's last dog ( I tried to find homes for them after she passed but this one wouldn't go) and she will change your mind.

It's almost always in the food being fed!

I understand though that the boxer breeds are some of the worst offenders no matter what food they're on.

As to Flailers' list, most of the items on it are the result of training and more training both of the dog and the owner.

Some dog breeds are more flatulent than others. Bulldogs & pugs are notoriously gaseous. OTOH, my Lhasa mix never farts.

Flatulence is the main reason I have a dog. I can now say, "The dog did it!" Saves me a lot of embarrassment on the rare occasion I have a visitor.

my dogs have always been my favorite travel partners! My German Shepard has a delicate digestive system, and on good food, Taste of the Wild, which really helps her sensitive belly. But man when she gets a bite of people food, something she is not used to like beef or something, watch out and run for the door. silent but deadly. have a great weekend everybelly!