Chevy Express Van 6 cyl vs 8 cyl

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallahadion

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls, I'm looking for some advice on the Chevy Express vans......I'm finding a lot of 6 cylinder models
available versus the 8 cylinder models.....and of course pricing is a little bit better on the 6 cylinder models.

I'm interested in mpg for both and what you are encountering as far as towing power. I'm looking to tow a 5x10 trailer
to carry my motorcycle in and overflow items that I need.

Please give me you thoughts.
Thanks,
Todd

I am not actually familiar with the GVW limits and towing capacity, but if you are planning to do a build in side the van and tow something, I would recommend you try to buy a V-8. If you were doing a really lightweight build, a V-6 would work fine, but with a trailer and also since you're expecting to carry more than you can fit in a van, it will be much nicer having the additional torque from a V-8

I vote for the v8 option also.

You are also looking at the GMC Savana vans?  My 2012 Gmc Savana extended one ton with the 4.8L L20 v8 and the six speed 6L90E transmission gets crazy good mileage.

our 2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD has the 5.3L v8 and we are pleased with the performance. The GVWR on the van is 7300lbs and we run about that nearly all the time with full tanks/etc. Around town (it is my wife's DD) we see about 15mpg and on the highway ~17...sometimes up to 19mpg. For something that is a fully converted rolling condo we're happy with those numbers.

OH, and it has plenty of umph. When we were towing our 15ft fiberglass trailer behind the van (with same weight in van itself) the trailer's additional ~2400lbs and ~250lb tongue weight didn't slow it down. It could easily pass a class A motorhome up hill and go from ~55 to ~70 in seconds.

: ) Thom

I often drive a 6cyl 1500 and it's fine as a work van, but struggles when used for towing...

I also was seeing quite a few Ford/Chevy work trucks with V6 also...Wasn't too sure I'd like that instead of a V8.

I think that chevy 1500/ford e150 are pretty common to see V6's in...gas milage is pretty decent and it has plenty of pick-up for the average tradesman loadout. But when you overload the interior or tow anything bigger than a jet ski, you not only lose the mileage bonus, you're also left very under-powered. It's most noticeable when trying to enter traffic from a stop or going up hills.

My buddy had 2 box trucks, one with a V6 and one a V8, and he swore the V8 got better mileage when the boxes had a good load...

In my experience the larger motors always seem to outperform the smaller ones in mpg's. Empty the smaller motors might have an advantage gas wise, but under any sort of load the v8 will outperform it and you'll be glad you have the extra power too, especially when towing or crossing the mountains. Same as solar, I've never heard anyone say they wished they didn't have so much power, but def hear people complain about being under powered.

I have the small 4.8L V8 (which is only slightly larger than the 4.3L V6) in my 3/4 ton Express and there are times I wish it were larger, like chugging up long grades. But most of the time it's completely adequate.

V8 in a vehicle this size will always do better on gas than a V6 as it doesn't work as hard. I have two Ford Explorer Sport Tracs. The 4.6L V8 gets 1-2 MPG better than the 4.0L V6. Tow rating is also 2K# Higher.