Chev/GMC 5.3L V8 vs. 6.0L V8

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesop

Reaction score
Hi,

So,

I've heard bob wells say that the 5.3liter v8 is the best engine ever put in a van (hence its reputation if being reliable) but what about a 6.0 liter v8 or even a 4.x liter engine in a chevy or gmc cargo van?

Reason I'm asking is right now i am looking at a 2007 chevy express 3500 (240,000 miles for 2900$ initially) with a 6 liter v8 in it. I've heard these vehicles get about 12 to 13 mpg but can tow a lot of weight where as the 5.3 liter is the best "bang for the buck".

Just wondering what y'all think. Lemme knowif i can provide any more details. Does the 6.0 liter v8 in a chevy van have as much reliability as the 5.3 liter? Less fuel economy for sure.

I suppose you know the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 are essentially identical except for bore and stroke differences and maybe some fiddling with the ECU.

Your mileage depends on how and where you drive, and how much weight you want to haul around. I thought I wanted at least a 5.3 but the 4.8 I ended up with does the job just fine, even in the mountains.

samguy2000 said:
I've heard these vehicles get about 12 to 13 mpg but can tow a lot of weight where as the 5.3 liter is the best "bang for the buck".

Do you plan to tow a lot of weight?

well I can't speak for Bob but IMO the 4.8 is to small and most people don't need a 6.0. it's like Goldie Locks. highdesertranger

slow2day said:
Do you plan to tow a lot of weight?
Haha not really however i saw someone else on another forum say that the 6.0 v8 can be in the mountains like it's nothing.
I don't think it'll get good gas mileage but gas is essential so it's a neccessaey expense.

Well, idk what cargo van I'll end up with, but ill end up with something!

5.3 I don't know , I went from an under powered 2005 , 4.8 that only one time in 11 years saw 16 mph (highway) but it had a lot of weight & often pulled a trailer, Now I'm in a '16 with a 6.0 the difference is night & day , both power and mileage , I can't do to much mileage comparison since the 6.0  trans is a double OD & more suitable R&P , The 6.0 is a work horse motor with years of good track record , If it's not going to be a primary vehicle at $2,900 I might jump on it ,  240,000 miles brings to mind , Best of luck if you plan to live on the road , Have an emergency fund

yes i believe they started putting the 6 speed transmission beginning in 2010. that would mean when your on the highway goig 70or 75mph, your engine wouldnt be running at 3000 rpm.  yeah i just found a 2005 gm van 4.8 2500 with 13.5k miles and i think it would still average about the same. 20mpg max on the highway.

what do you mean by double od and rp?

If I can correct the 6 sp 4th gear is direct and 5th and 6th are both over drives, the rear axle ratio is lower to provide better pulling power.

Mine gets about 7.2 MPG when pulling my car. I have 2012 Class C on a 3500 classic.

I don't know what they are referring to with the RP stuff. But the double OD means the transmission has two gears/speeds in the overdrive range. So 2 gears would be above 1:1. Highdesertranger

Here are the gear ratios on a GM 6 speed 6L80 tranny.

First: 4.02, Second: 2.36, Third: 1.53, Fourth: 1.15, Fifth: .085, Sixth: 0.67, Reverse: 3.06

I have the 4.8 in a Chevy 1500 pickup that I pull my travel trailer with. It is gutless and it has never gotten better than 16 mpg even empty. It gets 8 mpg pulling a 3500 lb trailer. I had an older Chevy 1500 w/ the 5.3 and it was a workhorse, it got 18 mpg empty and 12 pulling a similar trailer. Both engines were trouble free over 150,000 miles. I had a motorhome a 28' with the 454 and it pulled 12,300 lb class a no problems at 8 mpg. I'm with HDR the 5.3 is a great choice.

Most people go for the 6.0l but they are harder to find and usually have a higher price. They are both good engines.

riptorn said:
5.3 I don't know , I went from an under powered 2005 , 4.8 that only one time in 11 years saw 16 mph (highway) but it had a lot of weight & often pulled a trailer, Now I'm in a '16 with a 6.0 the difference is night & day , both power and mileage , I can't do to much mileage comparison since the 6.0  trans is a double OD & more suitable R&P , The 6.0 is a work horse motor with years of good track record , If it's not going to be a primary vehicle at $2,900 I might jump on it ,  240,000 miles brings to mind , Best of luck if you plan to live on the road , Have an emergency fund
thanks. tomorrow . we look at a a 2005 2500 Chevy cargo van. we don't plan on towing with it so 20mpg on straight highway should be our highest expected mileage especially with the 4 speed trans

Freelander said:
Here are the gear ratios on a GM 6 speed 6L80 tranny.

First: 4.02, Second: 2.36, Third: 1.53, Fourth: 1.15, Fifth: .085, Sixth: 0.67, Reverse: 3.06
i dont know what all this means. please explain

That means that at 1.1 would be direct drive, so 4th gear is just under directs dn 5th and 6th gears are overdrive gears. Meaning the driveshaft is spinning faster the engine.

At 1.1 if the engine is spinning 2000 rpm, then the driveshaft is spinning 2000 rpm.