Chevy Express question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can share my own experience---we have a 2005 Chevy Express 1500 conversion van with the v6. We purchased it not because we wanted a v6 but the body and interior had everything we were looking for and the price and condition of it was very good. 

We took out all seats except the back bench that folds into bed and added only minimal lightweight equipment for sleeping/camping part time. We had it weighed recently at 5900 lbs. at a weigh station which, I believe for a full size van, is exceptionally light. We do not tow anything. It has gotten over 19 mpg highway under ideal conditions (no elevation change, no wind, etc), but usually averages around 16 mpg around town and 18.5 highway, without the a/c running.

The v6 has been perfectly adequate for our needs but there are huge caveats to this statement -- we travel and camp very lightly, live in NJ so usually don't need to worry about powering up steep elevations (even traveling around PA and upper NY it did OK), and drive pretty conservatively. Also, I have always owned smaller vehicles (never owned anything larger than a v6 turbo) so have low expectations--going slower when climbing hills and having to allow more open roadway before passing vehicles (ie, you don't miss what you have never had).

However, when we took it to the White Mountains, where the elevation changes are much more considerable, the van struggled to keep a decent speed on roads with higher grades. When we are ready to go out west and live full-time in our vehicle, we really will be considering upgrading to a vehicle with a larger engine.

I recently bought a 2017 4.8 liter. Now you can only get the Express in 2500 and 3500 now. The smaller 1500 version is smaller and is called a City I think. I'm getting around 15 to 16 MPG right now. Still a very new engine.

I can’t speak to the Express, but I have many miles under my belt in Ford V6 E-150 and V8 Club Wagon vans doing delivery work. The V6 made enough power for my travels around Maine, but not more than an adequate amount. The V8 always had plenty of power for whatever I wanted to do.

BUT, the V6 van had a much softer, more comfortable ride, while the V8 Club Wagon was harsher and uncomfortable at times. No doubt the Club Wagon could handle more weight, and that weight would smooth out the ride. But there’s more to the equation than engine alone. It’s a significant factor, but different versions have very different suspensions too.

2010 Chevy 1500 AWD 5.3L v8... we run just under GVWR and for two seasons towed a ~2500lb fiberglass trailer and had no issue going uphill and ~55/60 (we cruz since we're not in a rush) and then pass uphill excellerating to ~70mph with ease towing trailer. It has been a great rig.

accrete said:
2010 Chevy 1500 AWD 5.3L v8... we run just under GVWR and for two seasons towed a ~2500lb fiberglass trailer and had no issue going uphill and ~55/60 (we cruz since we're not in a rush) and then pass uphill excellerating to ~70mph with ease towing trailer. It has been a great rig.

exactly what i heard too from my friend who is going to help me find one for a good price.  i wont settle for less and i wont need the 6.0L.

accrete said:

what a relief to see your post!  I just bought an 08 chev express 1500 v8 5.3L 301hp (although i don't see ppl mentioning hp here) with 61K miles on it.  i  took it on it's first 500m round trip voyage (no tow)...i'm in AZ and although just a few "hills" through globe, az area, it didn't skip a beat.  i loved the power and handling.  my daily driver is an 01 mazda miata so the van is like a big camper rv to me...lol.  anyway, i am looking at buying a 16' scamp camper (fiberglass), 1500 lbs (who knows how much crap i'll load it up with)... thanks for your post  :)

earthling said:
what a relief to see your post!  I just bought an 08 chev express 1500 v8 5.3L 301hp (although i don't see ppl mentioning hp here) with 61K miles on it.  i  took it on it's first 500m round trip voyage (no tow)...i'm in AZ and although just a few "hills" through globe, az area, it didn't skip a beat.  i loved the power and handling.  my daily driver is an 01 mazda miata so the van is like a big camper rv to me...lol.  anyway, i am looking at buying a 16' scamp camper (fiberglass), 1500 lbs (who knows how much crap i'll load it up with)... thanks for your post  :)

Have you taken it up to Flagstaff yet? 5,000 fit gain? I'll bet it does fine...

MLV_Tim said:
Well I'm gonna totally go against the majority out here and NOT by experience, let me say again not by "MY OWN EXPERIENCE". I work in whats called the expediting industry (basically delivering freight like 18 wheelers) only, in a van. I discuss, communicate & swap information regarding all types of vans on a daily, weekly, monthly basis with hundreds of members within our own expediting community. We have folks driving the promasters, transits, mercedes, nissans, chevys Etc. Etc. And as I stated we continually discuss the ins and outs of ALL these vans trying to gain a general understanding of which one would or is the more profitable, safest, mechanically sound van to stay or go with.

I told you the back story to give some validity to what im about to tell you, apologies, LOL.

So in the time I been doing this I have crossed paths with quite a few guys who do in fact run the 6 cyl. Chevy vans out here in (the expediting) industry, which means they haul in these 6 cyl Chevy vans on a regular basis anywhere from 100lbs to 2,500lbs REGULARLY in the back of these vans. The load changes frequently, its not a consistent 2,500lbs nor is it a consistent 100lbs so the weight they carry changes from load to load. But do understand, they are traveling (NON-STOP) everyday putting the van through its paces hundreds of thousands of miles weekly! Is it as strong as a V8, no. Is it gonna pull like a V8, no. But the question was asked concerning a V6 so my input is a V6 can and does do the same job as a V8 and does it as long as a V8 so long as the driver keeps up general maintenance.

So YES the V6 Express is plenty strong enough.

The drivers I speak to who run these vans love them, say they do the job thats asked of them, do they complain about a lack of power goin up mountains in Colorado, yes. But overall they have no problems with the vans so long as you know the task that is sat in front of you when hauling a particular amount of weight. We have drivers out here getting in excess of a million miles on some of these gasoline engines and then we have guys that only get 200k and KABOOM! Its all in preventative maintenance and driver ability to asess the obstacle put before the van in question on how hard to push it or rather take it nice and easy. You have drivers hammering down on the gas pedal, engaging the passing gear going up a mountain the entire way up without letting off (thats the 200k or less guy). Then you have the smart guy who babys it the entire way up, or gets a good start on the hill in front of him without engaging the engine hard or pounding the trannys passing gear, the guy hammering down gonna get to the top what, 20 seconds faster? Is that 20 seconds worth losing a tranny or blowing an engine?

By the way, I have a 2017 Ford Transit T350 Eco Boost Brand new off the lot, 9 months old. I have 107,000+ miles on it.

Good to see an Expediter on here. 107 K in 9 months! How is that Ford Transit working out? What's your mpg?