Chevy discontinued gas engines over 4.8 on the express vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbreathe

Reaction score
WTH. 

So sad about this. Was going to buy a new van. Not anymore.

justbreathe said:
WTH. 

So sad about this. Was going to buy a new van. Not anymore.
I just went to both of the 2017 GMC build a Savana pages for the passenger version and cargo.  The 6.0 option is available for both versions. 
Problem solved.  I like the look of the GMC grill better anyway.

okay although I'm pretty capable all things considered, understanding engines and the benefits is not one of them. So what's the difference and why would you want the 6.0 option? I'd like to understand before I dive into the buying pool. Thanks in advance!

When running a vehicle at or near maximum weight capacity (or even when empty), having a larger engine usually means more torque at a lower RPM (engine speed). This allows an engine to 'work' less to accomplish the same feat.

An example would be when going up a hill in a smaller engine vehicle, it might require a downshift to a lower gear to raise the engine speed to get the required torque to get up that hill. A larger engine could just stay in the cruising gear and power its way up the hill at a lower engine speed.
Less wear and tear on the vehicle and possibly equal or better mileage than the smaller engine.
[a lot of new engines have superchargers or turbochargers these days to give higher torque and horsepower numbers for smaller displacements; however these devices add heat and stress to get those numbers.]

When it comes to "torque", which is more important than horsepower as it pertains to highway cruising and hill climbing abilities,.....size matters! :rolleyes:

It comes down to a compromise/balance of needs....mpg differences vs capability vs long life expectations.

Okay, thanks that helped a lot! Just the description of uphill towing made it more visual in my head.

Just did some more searching and the 6.0 engine IS available in the 2017 chevy vans....option for three of the cargo van models and required for the hotel shuttle model.
However the 6.6 duramax diesel has been deleted from the order sheet as well as the 6.0 "Gaseous" engine which ran on CNG (compressed natural gas).

http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2017-Chevrolet-Express-Cargo-Order-Guide.pdf

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/05/2017-chevrolet-express-van-changes-updates-new-features/

:)

Too bad on the diesel. I was considering one. Buddy has one. Towing machine.

poprouge said:
okay although I'm pretty capable all things considered, understanding engines and the benefits is not one of them.  So what's the difference and why would you want the 6.0 option?  I'd like to understand before I dive into the buying pool.  Thanks in advance!

I'd like to defend the 4.8L engine.  The following is a relevant cut and paste from my post #6 in the below linked thread:

The 2004 will not have the listed 6 speed trans.  You have to get a 2010 or newer Express/Savana to get the 6 speed trans.  I have a 2012 G3500 GMC Savana extended cargo from Penske with the 4.8L & 6 speed trans with manual mode shifting when needed.  The 4.8L engine has plenty of power, it just loves to rev and will climb hills with a load just fine as long as a skilled driver takes advantage of the 6 speed trans and keeps the revs up a bit.  Lots of folks erroneously think that when an engine is turning more than highway cruising speed RPM's it is straining, this is not the case.  

The 4.8 is every bit as durable as the 6.0 and less thirsty. On the expediters forums the consensus seems to be that in the current GM vans the 6.0 will get about 3mpg less overall vs the 4.8.

Link to above referenced thread:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-2004-vs-2012-Chevy-Express-3500-Extended?pid=218852#pid218852

Sure, if one is carrying a heavy load or towing a heavy trailer, or both, most of the time, getting the 6.0L engine is not a bad idea.  For me, the issue at hand is that lots of large engines are bought because the purchaser wants a big engine.  I personally think that engine selection should based on needs instead.  For example, the van with the 6.0L should have a bit higher gross combined weight rating (GCWR) than one equipped with the 4.8L .  Since I knew for sure that I would not need the higher GCWR that comes with the 6.0L van I went with the 4.8L and get very good mileage.

I average 15 mpg overall, 17 mpg highway with my converted camper chevy express 3500 6.0. I'd rather have the extra towing power if I need it.

Thanks for all the replies! I swear...I seriously need to back away from the phone some days. When I saw your replies at work this afternoon, I took a few minutes and looked it up on the computer. I was wrong, wrong, wrong, thank God! Hahahaha

Thank you!

I was building the van on the Chevy site, from my phone, and couldn't find how to choose the engine...the dang thing wouldn't let me do it. 

But on the computer at work, it worked. Sigh. Everything I looked at was 4.8....from my phone. 

Maybe I do need to spring for a laptop...but I wait until I retire. *Wink* I can bring the laptop home from work too. I just don't very often.

justbreathe said:
I was building the van on the Chevy site, from my phone, and couldn't find how to choose the engine...the dang thing wouldn't let me do it. 

But on the computer at work, it worked. Sigh. Everything I looked at was 4.8....from my phone. 

Maybe I do need to spring for a laptop...but I wait until I retire. *Wink* I can bring the laptop home from work too. I just don't very often.

The 5.3 I think it was is gone and the big diesel.

My van is at 6750 lbs - I don't think its going to get much heavier and its got roof racks interfering with wind flow. 

I find power with the 4.8 L fine on the highways - no need for more power there. To keep it at high speed in the mountains, I definitely have to downshift. When I do, though, it just slams up the mountains - much better power than my 4Runner actually.  Since I'm not in those gears a lot hopefully the engine and the tranny will be fine. I would be happy with more, though - I would have snagged the 5.3 if I had the chance. If I didn't get a big MPG hit and I had the opportunity I might even go with the 6.0 liter.

Chevy/GMC is adding a 2.8 L diesel with a 8 speed transmission in the first quarter of 2017 for the 2500/3500 series, though. It states it will get substantially better MPG. 

http://www.equipmentworld.com/gm-br...uramax-diesel-to-express-and-gmc-savana-vans/

GM has announced that it will bring the popular Duramax diesel currently offered as an option on its Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pickups to its lineup of cargo and passenger vans

The 2.8-liter Duramax will be offered on the 2017 Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vans. GM says production of these 2.8L models will begin in the first quarter of 2017.

The engine will be offered with an eight-speed transmission and will be available on long and short wheel base and 2500 and 3500 models.

GM says this is the first small diesel to be offered on a traditional, body on frame, full size van. The option is directed at those van customers looking for increased fuel economy.

the problem with the new diesels is all the junk they have added. they are computer controlled and the DEF system no thanks. highdesertranger

I wish they kept the 5.3. Love that engine. Had it in my 03 Express, have it in my 2013 Silverado. Had the 6.0 in my 06 boxtruck. Really nice engine too. Leaning towards going back to a van in 2017, stuck between the 4.8 and 6.0 though. I'll def be towing with it so I'll prob go with the 6.0

Meanwhile, your choices on a Ford Transit are a 3.7L gasoline engine, a 3.5L gasoline turbo and a 3.2L turbo diesel. Over at Ram (Dodge) the Promaster has a 3.6L gasoline engine or a 3.0L turbo diesel.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I wish they kept the 5.3.  Love that engine.  Had it in my 03 Express, have it in my 2013 Silverado.  Had the 6.0 in my 06 boxtruck.  Really nice engine too.  Leaning towards going back to a van in 2017, stuck between the 4.8 and 6.0 though.  I'll def be towing with it so I'll prob go with the 6.0

I know someone who had the 4.8 with the 4spd tranny. He wishes he had the 5.3.. I imagine that the 6spd tranny is better. 

Do you know what kind MPG hit you can expect with the 6.0?

highdesertranger said:
the problem with the new diesels is all the junk they have added.  they are computer controlled and the DEF system no thanks.  highdesertranger

With me, novice that I am, and always eager for better MPG I would probably go for it if I had the money. That engine, though, 2.8L seems small (??) - although they do have the improved tranny with it.

MrNoodly said:
Meanwhile, your choices on a Ford Transit are a 3.7L gasoline engine, a 3.5L gasoline turbo and a 3.2L turbo diesel. Over at Ram (Dodge) the Promaster has a 3.6L gasoline engine or a 3.0L turbo diesel.

Ford is reaping the benefits of their redesign

“Vans continue to be a bright spot for Ford – a consistent growth story for us this year.”

August’s record van sales were up 13 percent versus a year ago, driven largely by Ford Transit gaining 17 percent, with 11,993 vehicles sold.

http://www.transportengineer.org.uk...est-vans-month-for-over-a-decade-smmt/145268/