Chevy C/K 3500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahh_me2

Reaction score
Well, living in a van is great! But it could be a little better...

What comforts are missing the most?
Space... and then the ability to fill it more! lol

This was my starting point last August when I built it: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Van-Conversion-POC

I finally moved into it a couple weeks ago and I Like it!
But I must admit, I knew I would need/want something bigger and so I have been watching the ads to find
something that would jump out at me and say: "pick me".

Well, last week it happened, a friend sent me an ad and said: jump on it dude!

I did!

I now have a new starting point!
I figure it'll take me 2-3 months to get it in livable condition so I can then move out of my van and into the ....
Hmmmmm.....gotta give it a name...

How about "The ES-3500" abbreviated as Elsie, The ES is what can be read on the vehicle in faded paint.
Emergency Support is what it was, not medical, but rather technical suppport as in a plant maintenance vehicle for Dow Chemical.
It is a Chevy Vandura C/K 3500, dually, 350 engine, turbo 400 tranny, from the dinosaur era, approx 1987 AD.
It has a decent size cargo box on the back with access to the front through a small doorway, and roll-up doors in the rear.
It sports a ladder up to the roof, very solid one too, as well as an extended low bumper with expanded mesh on top creating a
platform to walk/stand on, as well as acting as a step up to the main deck. And of course a nice towing ball mounted on a big heavy plate
as an integral part of the rear step, should be good for towing a decent load!

It is insulated with about 1.5 inches of foam and a plywood sheathing that looks to be about 1/2 in.
The floor is 1 inch OSB, the box framework is nice sized steel square tubing, very solid stuff!
Of course there is also the mandatory roof vent, but I got lucky, because there are 2 windows, one on each side of the box, near the front.
They are single pane, with a screen on one half and when opened provide a very nice cross breeze!

It has a battery tray under the driver seat area below the vehicle, accessible from underneath, as well as a battery isolator.
For the auxiliary battery, there is a master disconnect switch on the driver's side in the metal riser of the seat on the door side,
very big lettering "Connect" and "Disconnect", as well as many warnings upon entering the vehicle that ask " Have you unplugged?"
Obviously it sat connected to shore power most of the time, and since it has 2 coolant heaters in the rear it probably idled lots, thus
explaining the hour meter on the engine.
A reminder label on the door says next oil change at 375 hours and the reading is around 390 hours.

In the cargo area there are 3-4 12V lights on the ceiling, and on the exterior there are many big domed 12V lights, all white,
surrounding the vehicle, emergency vehicle style!

There is also a short 12/4 cable with a 4 prong 30A plug on the end, fed into a breaker box with 2 breakers, of 15A each.
One conduit comes out of the breaker box and goes down a couple feet to a split outlet, so each plug in has 15A capability.
The other breaker has another line running up to the front engine compartment and was used to plug in the block heater I assume.
The plug and line coming out from under the floor of the cargo area are only about 5 feet long, so shore power was very near to them! haha

They must have had a PA system in there at some point as there are mounting holes, wires and a mike bracket on the main dash,
as well as a large horn style speaker in the engine compartment. To bark out orders or provide critical emergency type info I guess...lol

$800 is what I paid for her! Elsie has a few flaws of course, don't all women? lol couldn't resist, not looking to insult/offend or ruffle feathers,
just a touch of humor...

All 4 rear tires are weather checked, and since they are 16.5 in LT tires, the replacement cost shouldn't be too bad.
It also looks like she has somewhat of a roof leak as it is a 3 piece riveted job, so I'll have to investigate avenues of repair on that.
She brakes front only, master cylinder compartment for rear is dry and has some gunk in it, I started cleaning it out today, but visually
checked the lines to the rear and couldn't spot a leak or a stain anywhere, it could have dried up as the vehicle has sat for 10 years or so.

Engine starts easily, sounds good, can't see any blue smoke, and she's only got 56,000 kilometers on her.

Time will tell how good of a gal she is to me!
Treat her with respect and good old TLC, and hope for the best!

Well, that's all for now, off to find some pics, only took a few, and will try and post em soon!

Ok, so as promised, here are the 4 standard views, front, rear, and both sides:

0001-Elsie Front 001.jpg
0002-Elsie driver side 001.jpg
0003-Elsie passenger side 001.jpg
0004-Elsie Rear 001.jpg

Nice faded paint job, still looks like it could be a working vehicle with a purpose!

Attachments

• 0001-Elsie Front 001.jpg
    0001-Elsie Front 001.jpg
    298.6 KB
  • 0002-Elsie driver side 001.jpg
    0002-Elsie driver side 001.jpg
    266.6 KB
  • 0003-Elsie passenger side 001.jpg
    0003-Elsie passenger side 001.jpg
    316.1 KB
  • 0004-Elsie Rear 001.jpg
    0004-Elsie Rear 001.jpg
    290.8 KB
I mentioned the rear bumper earlier, so here's a pic of it, looks pretty solid to me!

0005-Elsie Rear Bumper 001.JPG

Rear view, you can see the 2 windows, the electrical panel,the 12vV dome lights and the 2 coolant heaters, as well as the access to the front.

0006-Elsie rear open 001.jpg

View from the inside towards the rear with roll up door down.

0007-Elsie inside view to the rear 001.jpg

Attachments

• 0005-Elsie Rear Bumper 001.JPG
    0005-Elsie Rear Bumper 001.JPG
    772.9 KB
  • 0006-Elsie rear open 001.jpg
    0006-Elsie rear open 001.jpg
    277.9 KB
  • 0007-Elsie inside view to the rear 001.jpg
    0007-Elsie inside view to the rear 001.jpg
    158.6 KB
my Kurbmaster sat for a few years, before I got it, in the end I had to replace the radiator, a lot of rubber, sway bar bushings, hoses, all the brakes and lines which was not all that expensive, just time consuming, mine is only a 1 ton, an 1986, your new is a bit bigger so parts might be a little more costly but easily available. I probably should have changed the tires but didn't as they had a lot of thread on them and they are ten ply but most will advise to do so. I haven't had an issue and I drove the Trans Labrador with it a couple of years back and a lot of people were getting flat tires on that 1000kms of gravel

It looks great can't wait to see what you are going to do with it, that paint might come up with the right polish.

flying kurbmaster said:
my Kurbmaster sat for a few years, before I got it, in the end I had to replace the radiator, a lot of rubber, sway bar bushings, hoses, all the brakes and lines which was not all that expensive, just time consuming, mine is only a 1 ton, an 1986, your new is a bit bigger so parts might be a little more costly but easily available. I probably should have changed the tires but didn't as they had a lot of thread on them and they are ten ply but most will advise to do so. I haven't had an issue and I drove the Trans Labrador with it a couple of years back and a lot of people were getting flat tires on that 1000kms of gravel

It looks great can't wait to see what you are going to do with it, that paint might come up with the right polish.

The tires on this one are really cracked on the sidewalls, and since it will be subjected to a mandatory inspection for insurance, i have no choice but to replace them.
My Ford van on the other build thread sat a lot too and it only had 44,000 km, and it's an 86, but I did eventually have to replace the front end steering links as the rubber was somewhat shot also.

Since I would have paid $3-4000 for a good cargo trailer or other type of van truck, I have no issues with throwing a few dollars at this vehicle, except as you say, it will not be so
much expensive as time consuming. i hate working on vehicles but what I hate even more is taking them to a shop for repairs, so I'm on the hook for this one.

I thought mine is a 1 ton, you seem to imply it is more?

I can't wait to see what I' ll do with it too! lol

I have some ideas though.

The demolition begins!

While it has some useful stuff, I am removing it all and may re-use some or all of it, albeit located and configured to my liking.

BTW, Even if the vehicle turns out to be a piece of crap, I can always remove the box and install it on another vehicle,
I don't think you can find/build a box like that for $800.

Just some pics of the demo in progress...

0008-Elsie lights down 001.JPG

0009-Elsie lights down 002.JPG

0010-Elsie the removed pile 001.JPG

Well, that's my scrap pile for now, I may reuse some of it, but I need the box stripped down to start a fresh new build from scratch!

Attachments

• 0008-Elsie lights down 001.JPG
    0008-Elsie lights down 001.JPG
    911.3 KB
  • 0009-Elsie lights down 002.JPG
    0009-Elsie lights down 002.JPG
    830.8 KB
  • 0010-Elsie the removed pile 001.JPG
    0010-Elsie the removed pile 001.JPG
    802.4 KB
That looks like it has some great potential for a real neat conversion. Would love to see the process as it happens. Best of luck on it!

I agree, nice vehicle!

And I just picked up a design idea to solve a tiny problem I was having!

ahh_me2 said:
All 4 rear tires are weather checked, and since they are 16.5 in LT tires, the replacement cost shouldn't be too bad.
It also looks like she has somewhat of a roof leak as it is a 3 piece riveted job, so I'll have to investigate avenues of repair on that.
She brakes front only, master cylinder compartment for rear is dry and has some gunk in it, I started cleaning it out today, but visually
checked the lines to the rear and couldn't spot a leak or a stain anywhere, it could have dried up as the vehicle has sat for 10 years or so.

Well I had some time to work on Elsie today, figured I'd do a bit of a cleanup in the box and sweep it out, also have a closer look at the master cylinder issue and have a closer look at the tires cu'z my buddy sent me the numbers off the tires and there are only 2 sets as opposed to 3 such as : 9.5R16.5 instead of the familiar 235/75R15 for example.

So cleaning was easy, and it allowed me to mark off the floor and one wall as I already have a pretty good idea how it will be laid out. I will post a sketch of this in the next few days hopefully.
I resumed the cleaning of the one Master cylinder side(rear), but I brought Q-tips this time to get the hard to reach or narrow areas, got it looking pretty good!
My buddy suggested I just add some fluid and see what happens...I guess if there is a leak we will see some leak/spray somewhere.
So I topped her up, put the cover back on, fired up the engine, pumped the brakes a few times, pedal still went down far, put her in gear, let her roll forward a bit, tap the brake, and Voila! Instant stop! Rear brakes were definitely engaging!

Shut the engine off check the master cylinder, the level didn't go down, checked under the vehicle, no sign of leaks anywhere.
Started the vehicle back up, this time the brake pedal barely goes down and the brakes are engaged, no sponginess either, looks like I won't even need to bleed them!
Go for a short test drive, brakes are awesome!

Well, that's a $500-$1000 headache that has disappeared! As I was ready to a full brake job if necessary, including replacing the master cylinder and brake lines.

As for the tires, it's pretty clear it's a two number system, see the pics of rear and front tire.

P1010261.JPGP1010262.JPG

It would appear these are a hard to find tire size that doesn't convert to current numbers.
9.5R16.5 apparently is still available , at a somewhat higher cost, which so far hovers around the $160 mark times 4 at least for the rear, fronts aren't checked and tread is good, so we'll see.
These are fairly heavy tires even for an LT rating Load E , and should give 100,000-150,000 km, way more than i expect to put on it so it  would be worthwhile to spend $6-700 on replacing the 4 rears at least

Another friend was there today when I was running the engine, he's not a licensed mechanic, but has fixed all sorts of vehicles for years, he commented :"Man, I can't believe how smooth that engine is running, just listen to it purr".

So I might have truly found a jewel in Elsie! Buy her a new pair of shoes and she'll be good to go!

Attachments

• P1010261.JPG
    P1010261.JPG
    828.8 KB
  • P1010262.JPG
    P1010262.JPG
    817.1 KB
It looks like you have a medium duty truck there.  

The dual 16.5s will run forever.  Just remember that tires dry out and using ones that have sat for 10 years is dangerous. I have had two blow on me on a converted trailer.  Spend the brake savings on all new tires.  You will not regret it.

Tires are really only safe for 5 years, and when in constant use. Letting them sit dries them out.

Try to find a set of 16" rims that fit your rig so that you have much better and more economical tire choices in the future. 16.5's are getting rare, and more expensive. I had a Motorhome with them, the first thing people do is get rid of the 16.5's.

There are good deals on used Alcoa and American Eagle Dually wheels all the time. Aluminum wheels are lighter and easier to handle. Many old 16.5" rims are also not rated for Radial tires. If yours don't have an "Radial" or an "R" with a circle around them stamped on them, you should not run radials.

I guess the problem with buying new/used rims, is that i would have to buy 6 of them and then still buy 6 tires.
I'm pretty sure buying 6 new tires of the 16.5's would be the only tires I would ever have to buy for this rig
so it seems to me to be cheaper in the short and long term.
I really only expect to put 5-10,000 km on this vehicle per year.

All our local tire shops are closed today, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get an accurate price/availability.

flying kurbmaster said:
..., that paint might come up with the right polish.

Well, I'd a never thought!

My buddy thought he'd do a spot or two with some polish, I'm amazed, it's like a candy apple red under that dull finish.

0426151652-00.jpg0426151651-01.jpg

Notice the reflection of the other vehicle in the last pic...

Attachments

• 0426151652-00.jpg
    0426151652-00.jpg
    128.5 KB
  • 0426151651-01.jpg
    0426151651-01.jpg
    150 KB
I just happen to have 6 chrome rims, 16" that will bolt right on. where are you located? btw chevy used the c/k designation for pickups a c3500 is a 1 ton 2wd pickup. a k3500 is a 1 ton 4wd pickup. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I just happen to have 6 chrome rims,  16" that will bolt right on.  where are you located?  btw chevy used the c/k designation for pickups a c3500 is a 1 ton 2wd pickup.  a k3500 is a 1 ton 4wd pickup.  highdesertranger

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm too far away with probably a border to cross! Northern Alberta, Canada.

On Monday morning, I stopped in at a local tire shop, and they quoted me some $1800 for the 9.5R16.5's  X 6 tires, mounted balanced etc.
Only available from one manufacturer, Firestone. A quick call to a friend of mine that runs a wrecking yard, found 6 used 16" rims for $50 ea or $450 for the six.
However the rubber for these tires is still apparently 10 ply and is around $200 per tire, So it looks like I'll still have to spend around $1800 to put tires on this gal.
At least I will have the option of tires and easier access to replacements down the road by going to standardized rims.

Last summer when I was still considering used RV's, one common thing I read was to check the tires on RV's with duallys, as often all 6 need replacing at an average cost of $1500, So I guess I shouldn't be totally surprised.

In the end it's money well spent however hard it is to swallow in the present.

Thanks for the info on the C/K designation, I had been wondering about that and couldn't seem to find the info on it.

ah to bad, I would let these go a lot cheaper than that. I know things cost more north of the border. highdesertranger

Well, all work had stopped on this build a while back as I was unable to get insurance.
Finally got the insurance, so time to start working on Elsie again!

When I left off I was looking at getting new tires, I actually did purchase them before the insurance fiasco.
I ended up buying 6 used rims for 16" tires and I got 6 X 16" 10 ply load range E tires. This cost me a little over $1700
with taxes.

0011-Elsie new tires.JPG

Attachments

• 0011-Elsie new tires.JPG
    0011-Elsie new tires.JPG
    781 KB