Chevy C/K 3500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I was able to start the framing on the propane shack, it's modular in the build because I'm waiting on some soft copper for propane lines and I need to route it through the shack to the main area. Which means I'll have to undo some of the panels here to provide routing for the line.

This is a view of the 2 pony walls being framed up, each wall section is complete and the 2 are tied together with a small chunk of plywood temporarily.

0077-propshak007.JPG

Here I have cut and fitted the 1-1/2 inch foam panels and I have to cut the same panels again out of 1" foam so it fits the depth of the 2'X3"'s.

0081-propshak008.JPG

I will make a top plate(insulated) for it also as the interior of the shack will actually be "outside".

Once that is done I will make a generator slide-out on top of it.

Before assembling the 2 walls and top plate together for final assembly and sealing I will mount my propane regulator and a tie down system for the tanks as well as routing the gas line through one of the bottom plates.
That will make it easier to work on as I will have full access before closing it up.

I checked the RVIAA codes for propane line routing and while I thought I had to run it outside, it looks like I don't have to!
As long as all the joints/connections/tees are accessible for leak testing and the line protected against accidental puncturing by screws/nails I will be fine.

Attachments

• 0077-propshak007.JPG
    0077-propshak007.JPG
    773.4 KB
  • 0081-propshak008.JPG
    0081-propshak008.JPG
    778.6 KB
Looking good! Will you have something like your water tank on the other side to balance weight? When all the tanks are full that will be a lot of weight on one corner which could effect handling even on your beast of a van. I definitely like the concept of having the stuff sealed from the inside though. Smelly stuff belongs in the garage, not the bedroom/living room/kitchen.

Thanks masterplumber!

Yeah I have a balancing act to follow, I will have 2 -GC 6v batteries on the opposite side, that should balance it out.

But I still have to place my 2 Engels @50-65lbs each loaded, and a fresh and grey water tank that I still haven't sized up yet.
And then of course my counter and range top and sink, as well as all the cupboards above and below.

It's kind of like Tetris, but adding the complexity of weights as well.

ahh_me2 said:
Well I had some time to work on Elsie today, figured I'd do a bit of a cleanup in the box and sweep it out, also have a closer look at the master cylinder issue and have a closer look at the tires cu'z my buddy sent me the numbers off the tires and there are only 2 sets as opposed to 3 such as : 9.5R16.5 instead of the familiar 235/75R15 for example.

So cleaning was easy, and it allowed me to mark off the floor and one wall as I already have a pretty good idea how it will be laid out. I will post a sketch of this in the next few days hopefully.
I resumed the cleaning of the one Master cylinder side(rear), but I brought Q-tips this time to get the hard to reach or narrow areas, got it looking pretty good!
My buddy suggested I just add some fluid and see what happens...I guess if there is a leak we will see some leak/spray somewhere.
So I topped her up, put the cover back on, fired up the engine, pumped the brakes a few times, pedal still went down far, put her in gear, let her roll forward a bit, tap the brake, and Voila! Instant stop! Rear brakes were definitely engaging!

Shut the engine off check the master cylinder, the level didn't go down, checked under the vehicle, no sign of leaks anywhere.
Started the vehicle back up, this time the brake pedal barely goes down and the brakes are engaged, no sponginess either, looks like I won't even need to bleed them!
Go for a short test drive, brakes are awesome!

Well, that's a $500-$1000 headache that has disappeared! As I was ready to a full brake job if necessary, including replacing the master cylinder and brake lines.

As for the tires, it's pretty clear it's a two number system, see the pics of rear and front tire.

It would appear these are a hard to find tire size that doesn't convert to current numbers.
9.5R16.5 apparently is still available , at a somewhat higher cost, which so far hovers around the $160 mark times 4 at least for the rear, fronts aren't checked and tread is good, so we'll see.
These are fairly heavy tires even for an LT rating Load E , and should give 100,000-150,000 km, way more than i expect to put on it so it  would be worthwhile to spend $6-700 on replacing the 4 rears at least

Another friend was there today when I was running the engine, he's not a licensed mechanic, but has fixed all sorts of vehicles for years, he commented :"Man, I can't believe how smooth that engine is running, just listen to it purr".

So I might have truly found a jewel in Elsie! Buy her a new pair of shoes and she'll be good to go!
I think they quit making 16.5" tires ,,,,,, ad I think the 9.5 refers to the width ,,, 16.5" The rim size and then you just go buy what height of tire you want for example 31" tall.
31-9.5-16.5
I'm pretty shure 16" replaces 16.5" but you need 16 wheels too.

they still make 16.5 tires, but there's not a big selection of sizes and manufacturers. plus a lot of times stores do not stock them so they must be special ordered. highdesertranger

Nice build , will you be able to start generator from indoors?
Is generator fueled from vans tank?

Mobilesport said:
Do you have a build thread for that red box van?

Well....ahem...uhhh, this is it?  :s

lol, I know, not much of a build so far, but I'm getting there!
Actually it's taken a while to get to this point as there have been many issues to deal with.
I'm living in it atm, and have taken a few weeks off to ponder some issues and setups that I'm looking at doing,
coupled with some very cold weather, so I've just kind of hunkered down.

Anyway, I figure it'll take another 4-6 months to get completed, my full time job, leisure time, kind of all slows down
the build I guess.

Feel free to follow along, or read the thread from the beginning if you haven't already.
I'm in the midst of wiring up a fuse panel with auto-change-over from shore to battery for my lights and fans
as well as some other low power 12 v circuitry, and should be updating the thread with some pics by next week.

Mobilesport said:
Nice build , will you be able to start generator from indoors?
Is generator fueled from vans tank?

I must have been composing my other post while you posted the above!

I'm hoping to start the generator from inside and have it slide out and then be sealed from the inside,
but it will run on it's own tank, I'm looking at the propane carb adaptors though, and might end up going that route

Not sure how we got from here to quad-video monitors, but I'm thinking there needs to be some updating done to this thread...

:)

Haha...
Yep

I've just been doing small things on this build, so a lot of it isn't even visible....
And more testing and trying things before I actually implement them.

Probably in a couple of weeks I will have some updates here