Cheap supper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeDon

Reaction score
You can cook this in a dutch oven, or in a covered pan in a stove top oven. The meat is chicken gizzards, they sell for about $1.29 to $1.59 a pound. You will also need some potatoes, and an onion. zattarains Cajun seasoning really makes it good, but you can use any seasoning you have on hand. If you are cooking in a covered pan in an oven then dice the gizzards, and place them in a layer covering the bottom of the oiled pan. Then slice up some potatoes and place them in a layer on the gizzards. Next, slice the onion and layer it on top of the potatoes. Cover and place in the oven at 350 degrees until the gizzards are tender. If you are cooking in a dutch oven, the process is a little different. Place a layer of bacon on the bottom of the oven, then a layer of onion. Then meat, potatoes, and onion. The bacon adds a little flavor, and helps stop sticking and burning if you get the bottom to hot. Cook as above, until gizzards are tender. You will end up with a meal that tastes just like beef stew, at half the price. You can add a beef bouillon cube if you would like more liquid. You could add bell peppers, and carrots if you wish, but would add to cost. Should make enough for a couple meals

Joe Don, that recipe sounds like Cajun "Dirty Rice" without the rice. When I was a kid, and mama would fry up a chicken as only she could, I would always opt for the gizzard. I just love chicken fried gizzards. It's hard to find them where I live now....kind of like Pimento cheese, it's mostly a Southern thing.
Soul food is some good stuff!

Usually Rice with a can of something and some spices is quite cheep and does not require a frig. Changing the can for fresh whatever is a treat.

James AKA Lynx

About the only thing I can cook besides grits and eggs is red beans and rice. One pot so little cleanup. 1 can of light red kidney beans and about a foot of sliced smoked sausage to start. Add some water till it looks wet enough and cook for 15 5to 30 minutes. Also add some dried onions, salt, garlic salt and celery flakes in time to combine flavors before adding rice. Add rice in the same pot and be sure you have enough water. Cook to boil and then reduce heat to simmer till the rice is tender. Makes good meal for two or one person twice. Use a Teflon coated pot and cleanup is a spray and a wipe.

If you use the same pot and bring to a boil for 5 min's will kill any bad things thre. Just wipe the pot and you are good to go if you are using the next day.