cheap land?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"accessible year-round would necessitate construction of a 4-season road at great expense."

or a way to clear the road. still not cheap.

highdesertranger

Bummer..

I thought Cochise county was NorthEast Az. It is down at the bottom, right next to Mexico.

I would never live in the 100 mile border exclusionary zones.

Not that I would be engaged in illegal activity transporting illegals or drugs etc etc.. but because I don't trust the govt enough to not do some batSh$t crazy stuff. State and local busybodies already cause enough harm with their petty feuds and nitpicking, no need to add to it the federal component if at all possible.

Oh give me a home......Where seldom is heard a discouraging a word...

https://www.aclu.org/other/constitution-100-mile-border-zone

It is just not a hassle that I would want to be part of. Never know when Johnny be Quick will be on patrol.

highdesertranger said:
"accessible year-round would necessitate construction of a 4-season road at great expense."

or a way to clear the road.  still not cheap.

highdesertranger

During Spring thaw when roads turn into a foot-deep muddy soup, clearing the road isn't really an option.
Both these pictures are from the Flagstaff region.

58db01742d6a4.image.jpgdq-muddy-road-800x640.jpg

Attachments

• 58db01742d6a4.image.jpg
    58db01742d6a4.image.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 11
  • dq-muddy-road-800x640.jpg
    dq-muddy-road-800x640.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 14
bonvanroulez said:
During Spring thaw when roads turn into a foot-deep muddy soup, clearing the road isn't really an option.
Both these pictures are from the Flagstaff region.
Great pictures, reminds me of many of the 4WD roads in the Colorado mountains. Many places you would drive through muddy "puddles" 100 yards long, and have no idea how deep the depressions might be. All fun, lol. And of course, my current RWD GMC Savana would get about 2' into those mudholes, and there it would sit until summer sun. 

I was also going to mention the one issue, but forgot ... down near the border between Sierra Vista and Douglas, you cannot drive 20 miles without encountering 1/2 a dozen ICE vehicles. Those guys are relentless. 

And it was always fun to drive through the many checkpoints in my plain white van, and have the Border Agents giving me the evil eye, so to speak. I'll never forget Ajo, where there were 5 guys sitting to the right behind a concrete barrier with their hands out of view, no doubt fondling the triggers. I always hold my hands in plain sight and say: "Just out camping, Sir". Hold both hands up and wave to the guys behind the barrier. I guess I have that look.

bonvanroulez said:
And a way for her "tribe" to go to town to eat at restaurants twice a day.  :rolleyes:
Yeah, things look wide open in Flagstaff. Not even "all" of the restaurant servers are wearing masks.

Qxxx said:
I guess I have that look.
I am Blonde/blue.. clean shaven and a standard trimmed haircut.

I used to have a little black nissan 2 door with tinted windows. The police used to stake out certain agriculture communities around here looking for the other look for any reason to pull them over.

I guess my car at that time some would say had a "Mexican vibe". Before passing any of the  review sites I would roll my windows down so they could see who/what was driving by. I never got a second glance.

I would never want to live near that kind of profiling activity again. So definitely no exclusionary zones for me.

Sofisintown said:
There are cheap lots at the South of Pahrump. $3-4K.
Problem is, the city planning has reserved that part of land for brothels.

They probably won't be allowing any more brothels in Pahrump. There were only two until recently. The Chicken Ranch had to shut down, Pahrump closed the Chicken Ranch airstrip to cut a lot of their business. Just one left, Sherry's.

Dennis Hof's untimely demise, a few weeks before the Nov 2016 election, which left his name on the ballot, and the Republican party then picked their man who had lost in the primary to Hof, to be the State Rep., regardless of the will of the voters. ("Voting Matters", except when it doesn't.) When the Crystal Bunny Love Ranch, or some such name, was sold, the new owner(s) were unable to get a brothel license. That property is not in Pahrump, so it is a Nye County thing, as well as in Pahrump.

One problem in Pahrump is water and septic. Hard to drill down to the aquifer, or dig a hole for a septic tank.

desert_sailing said:
I am Blonde/blue.. clean shaven and a standard trimmed haircut.
I look a little like Machete. People usually approach me with their hand resting on their holsters.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/MacheteKillsDannyTrejo.jpeg

This winter I stopped to see a women who I knew from online, but had never met in person. When I entered her camp she said "Who are you, and why the hell are you in my camp?", and she was expecting me. I stopped at the women's caravan one day to see if I could find someone, and the woman who greeted me crossed her arms and said, "I don't know nothing".

Profiling is baaaaad.

Those types of reactions is exactly what is wrong with society. It sickens and enrages me at the same time. 

You realize if you were on a lil sailboat you would be romanticized as the ravishing pirate. Your jet black locks flowing free with the winds like your spirit.

You could monetize on youtube if you were on a boat. 

Anyone want to make a pool on when we see Q put his van up for sale and his announcement of his new sailboat?

B and C said:
And weeds that short the fence out.  

His calves would try to go between the wires, some of the cows were able to jump over.  His were not free range cows.

About fencing... Try looking for books on old style fencing or fencing through the ages (around the world or similar to your geography). Seems most areas being mentioned in this thread would benefit from older style fencing. Maybe even cob or sandbagged walls, granted you're not trying to fence off lots of acres at a time.

Two hundred and fifty acres in Texas is a small operation. Barbed wire is about the only option I know of and have seen.

For people thinking about back to nature living in an out of the way place where the land is probably cheap .... U.P. of MI. A week ago, and they did get to drive through some 100-yard long mud puddles too. All good.

Qxxx said:
city-data shows that Flagstaff gets 20" of snow in Jan, Feb,Mar, so looks like about 60" a year. Wil!iams is just 100' !ower in elevation. I imagine Panda will need a pickup with a snowplow.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Flagstaff-Arizona.html
I don't think Panda plans on being there during snow season. It is just a place to stop at and host friends now and again. Most especially this year with all the closures due to Covid 19. No plans to put any structures up other than having the big water tank. Nothing to get broken into and destroyed when not on site. As long as no idiot shoots holes in the tank it should be a great retreat. I did not see anything in the youtube video about putting in a septic drain field. But of course you can have a long drop outhouse on that property. There are also graveled trench grey water systems that can be put in very quickly. No real need for a septic tank system on a property that is out in the country and not constantly occupied.

Go to the community you want to live in then wait to find the cheap land deal. They aren't on the real estate sites usually. Real estate agents seem to be driving up the prices to get a bigger commission. Private deals are better and best when you have cash but some owners will take payments. You have to get to know the people living in the community.

Don't discount out of hand using local real estate agents in your search for land. My son found land that wasn't on the MLS, 40+ acres for $43k. Within city limits. Now, he cannot ever put electricity for multiple reasons, but that's not a problem since he's gonna put in solar. And if he wants water, he'll have to put in a very expensive well or just have water trucked in.

But he wouldn't have found it by himself, without an agent.
Ted

Cheap land is not cheap if you need to do a lot of improvements to it in order to make if functional for your needs.

maki2 said:
I don't think Panda plans on being there during snow season. 
That post about snow in Flagstaff was made in the context of various people "here" expressing an interest in buying land near Williams AZ, and discussions of muddy roads, on and on. Ya gots to know what yer getting into. Leap second.

Ive had mixed results with realtors, but mostly good. A good one is worth their fee. They also often know more about the market, and if working for you (buyers agent) instead of the seller, can often know questions to ask or things to look for that you may not.

I have no problem having a title company handle closing, i dont recall the costs, but its cheaper than having lawyers do it if I recall correctly, and it gives clear title thats not going to be disputed. Its been quick, simple and painless for the most part, doing a closing with good title company.

Ive started thinking about vacant land again, the stuff about Arizona land has my attention. I didnt think Id ever be able to build again, but health improvements over time may allow it, at least to supervise. When I was building stuff to sell, I always had problems with sub-contractors doing stupid stuff when i wasnt there that never would have happened if I had been there. They would probably hate me by the time it was done, but I dont care. Im very particular (I used to tell my hired guy "perfect is good enough, but just barely"), I dislike so much of the sloppy work done on most construction sites. Building stuff isnt rocket surgery, get some basic background, by youtube or whatever, and you can build a better small cabin than the portable or pre-fab sheds for less or similar money.

There are a lot of misconceptions about tittle companies.They only guarantee there are no liens,encumbrances or easements on the registered deed at the moment.Any claims against the property that come up later are not covered.You can find this out yourself by calling the register of deeds.I bought some land about 10 years ago and paid a tittle company $450 dollars to handle the closing.The last piece of property I bought,I used a lawyer and paid $125.Good luck.

Latest posts