cheap land?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'll think about this.

Do cow patties make good fuel in a stove in the winter?

They used to burn buffalo chips back in the day... I imagine cow pies would be similar.  Ive been around when used on campfires before... not the same as smelling firewood burning.

retch.

maki2 said:
It does look like a very pretty piece of property, trees, level and a creek.

Qxxx said:
I think I'll think about this.

Do cow patties make good fuel in a stove in the winter?
To me the practical thing to do would be to only fence in the area of your homestead, water source storage buildings and your power source. You would maybe be fencing an area of maybe an acre. Let the cows roam on the rest as they can help with weed control and fertilizer. If you are going to have livestock make sure they are branded and that your neighbor is aware of them. Good luck.

desert_sailing said:
.... if any of you know of cheap land that others "vanlife" on....
In my experience, Oregon is not friendly to dwellers.

Remote areas like Yahachts for example, want you to buy the land, and then they kick you off it for camping.

And don't forget the expensive property taxes. Maybe you have found the perfect spot, but the tax man will find you. Also the high crime there. You can expect to listen to the sounds of gunfire in the evenings. 
-crofter

desert_sailing said:
Howdy maki2,

Yes, I think the zoning for being in your rv/camping on your land in Klamath county Oregon is 21 days per 180 consecutive.
That sounds like really expensive camping.
-crofter

desert_sailing said:
....The problem would be being reported by a nosy, neighbor....
That is usually how it starts. On the bright side, if you don't own it you can just turn the key and leave. One of the many benefits of dwelling.
-crofter

highdesertranger said:
ask and you shall receive,

here's the low down on grazing cattle.  counties/states decide on policy,

open range = the cattle have the right of way.  they can graze anywhere.  if you as a landowner don't want cattle on your property it's up to you to erect and maintain a fence.  if you run into a cow on the road with your vehicle you are liable

closed range =  it is up to the rancher to keep the cattle fenced in,  the rancher is responsible for erecting and maintaining fences.  if you run into a cow with your vehicle the rancher is liable.

test on Friday,  class dismissed.

highdesertranger
You forgot the part about putting your brand on any calf born on your place. 
-crofter

crofter said:
You forgot the part about putting your brand on any calf born on your place. 
-crofter
Now we have cows with more rights than land owners, and possibly range wars due to who owns the calfs that were born across the survey line. And all we really wanted was a homebase where we could get some peace and quiet.

Well, will be fun to watch how things go for Panda over the next few months before winter sets in again. I wonder are those roads even drivable in the winter, and how deep the snow is around there. I assume that's a dirt road there.

crofter said:
In my experience, Oregon is not friendly to dwellers.

Remote areas like Yahachts for example, want you to buy the land, and then they kick you off it for camping.

And don't forget the expensive property taxes. Maybe you have found the perfect spot, but the tax man will find you. Also the high crime there. You can expect to listen to the sounds of gunfire in the evenings. 
-crofter
After my chat with the the alternative building lady Nina down in Coconino County I am pretty much sold. It is nice that they are working towards more alternative living choices.  I certainly haven't found a county in Wa, Or, Id, that will allow you to live fulltime year round in your "RV". I asked about if a van qualified.. she said as long as it has wheels and a waste plan system. A blue boy counts.

Since I got off the phone with them I have been researching the heck out of the County, comparing prices and terrains. She said heading west of Williams is where much of the less expensive land is. The land with junipers is nice.. much better with those wonderful ponderosas.

I like that there is a bit of snow.. certainly nothing like I have had to endure here in central Idaho. They also have skiing right there in the County..fantastic!

It would be great to have a little bit of place that would allow me to come and go and stay in a rig or yurt and have  room for a few nomaders to stop by and share a meal.

Once I get on the road I will leisurely make my way down to AZ,, stay and research more during the winter and maybe come next spring get a lil 10 acres or such.

Im on a winning streak with all the great talk around here lately.

"You forgot the part about putting your brand on any calf born on your place. "

I don't know where you got that idea from. but branding someone else's calf is called rustling. when you own a brand you have all kinds of rules to follow. if you brand a calf you better own the cow(mom) or have a bill of sale.

highdesertranger

Must be branded by 6 months of age. Most owners brand sooner than that to avoid the whole problem of strays.

-crofter

highdesertranger said:
"You forgot the part about putting your brand on any calf born on your place. "

I don't know where you got that idea from....
Article on historical origin of branding mavericks.  Current practice results in the stray being destroyed instead.
-crofter

Description: link to article segment on mavericks.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Maverick

Who knew that "gobbledygook" was a politician's term?

Here is a little more info on the "pilot program" in Coconino county.

https://www.coconino.az.gov/2173/Innovative-Materials-and-Systems-Pilot-P

Mobile dwellings fall under this program, yurts, tiny homes, straw bale and earthbags and  likely everything in between.

I bet if more counties had programs like this there would be far fewer homeless and  far more families thriving.

"Under this Amendment, an Owner-Builder may opt to have a building permit issued that contains an exception to the application of the Coconino County Building Safety Code, including any requirement for construction plan review and inspection set forth in the Code. In lieu of plan review and inspections, an Owner-Builder shall provide affidavits affirmatively attesting that he/she has complied with the electrical, mechanical, plumbing and fire elements of the Coconino County Building Code, prior to the completion of the permit issued pursuant to this Amendment"

"No plans, other than a site plan and floor plan, must be submitted as part of this Pilot Program."

desert_sailing said:
Having grown up with horses and cows and tons of barbed wired properties, I would suggest no one ever use barbed wire. It causes  terrible injuries to livestock and to wildlife.
Ever come across a deer tangle in a barbed wire fence or your horse with 6 inch deep lacerations across its chest??... I have and it is terrible. Use braided, wood, or even one strand that is electrified.. its enough.

I would strongly suggest that before anyone plans on using barb wire to keep some critters off remote land to just stay in the city. Does it really matter that a small herd of cattle are passing through?. They will be fertilizing the property. and they are friendly just like the deer and antelope who will visit.

Learn an instrument and share an experience.  Cows enjoying a jazz concert >>>     

I can't imagine having much better neighbors.

I've lived in free range country.

It's fine - as long as you're not trying to grow a garden or fruit trees! Any range cow will be HIGHLY motivated to eat your lettuce or your apple trees, and will go through a fence to do it! (Deer feel the same way, and will just go over the fence.)

Flagstaff and Williams area have a very short summer season which is shortened even more with the Spring thaw which is what causes roads to turn to muddy soup and is the reason for many public roads to be gated closed until late in May. Spring thaw can extend over several months as temperatures fluctuate above and below freezing. To make a property in that climate accessible year-round would necessitate construction of a 4-season road at great expense.

Between the two counties mentioned, Coconino and Cochise, the place that would be more realistic year-round would be Cochise County. It's generally about 4,000 to 5,000 feet in elevation so while it does get warm in the summer its not unbearable, and winter days are mostly beautiful with nights possibly dipping into temps below freezing, occasionally to low 20s to mid teens but never long enough to cause a freeze. Just slightly colder winter climate than Quartzsite.  A winter snowfall overnight is possible but melts when the sun comes up. And Cochise County is really beautiful with a lot of attractions and some beautiful mountain areas.

Thanks for the input... I guess I will give a call to the permitting office in Cochise county and see if they will let me live on the land in a van with a hose.

I have checked soo many counties about alternative building. with very little luck. It is nice there are some counties that are still "free"

bonvanroulez said:
Flagstaff and Williams area have a very short summer season which is shortened even more with the Spring thaw which is what causes roads to turn to muddy soup
Cochise County is really beautiful with a lot of attractions and some beautiful mountain areas.
Good info. I was thinking snow and mud may turn out to be a big problem around Williams. We'll have to see how Panda fairs, as she posts every day or so. Already on day one, they are putting in water tanks and septic. I am wondering whether the smell of water, and all those nice shade trees right there might not be a gathering place for the bovine herds, lol. Near where I live, there is a large field full of cows, and on summer days, they all sit under the few available trees. Cows ain't all that dumb. 

And Cochise Cty definitely is a beautiful area.

Latest posts