cheap land?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maki2 said:
Cheap land is not cheap if you need to do a lot of improvements to it in order to make if functional for your needs.
It is if you allow yourself to do the work over time, spreading out the cost.
I've owned my cheap 1 acre piece of land since 2006, I spend time staying there (in the motorhome) when not working on the road improving it and am now finishing off a 2 room cabin ready for semi fulltime use. The land was 38K. AUD,  I don't think I've spent more than 60K AUD overall. My rates cost next to nothing here. (150 bucks a quarter)

Best of all I can travel back and forth there (without using vehicles if need be) as its within walking distance of the railway station in a lovely little (900 people) country town which can take me the length of the Eastcoast Australia.

Cheap means different things to different people. Ive bought truly cheap land at different times in the past, there doesnt seem to be as much now that truly qualifies as cheap to me, or most people unless comparing to some other locale. Taxes can be another matter to consider.

The cost to develop land can vary greatly, and cost can depend on if contracted out or you do it yourself, but it may be well worthwhile to do to increase the usability of the land.

One of the better gigs was buying a larger piece of land, splitting it (check, its not always possible to split land up to sell) and keeping a piece for myself, the others I sold paying for mine and my construction. Ive done it a couple times.

Ive lived vehicle nomadic, in cabins with no running water for years, with a woodstove for primary heat where it gets 20 below, and with a generator for power at various times. The super rustic doesnt appeal to me much any more. If I can develop a piece of land as far as water and power, Im highly likely to do it. I already have a comfortable if small place. Ill comfortably camp and be nomadic seasonally, but have little desire to change my basic lifestyle at this point.

Morefun said:
About fencing... Try looking for books on old style fencing or fencing through the ages (around the world or similar to your geography). Seems most areas being mentioned in this thread would benefit from older style fencing. Maybe even cob or sandbagged walls, granted you're not trying to fence off lots of acres at a time.
Saw this good article about fencing on Mother Earth News.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/types-of-fences-zmaz06fmzwar

rokguy said:
I've owned my cheap 1 acre piece of land since 2006, I spend time staying there (in the motorhome) when not working on the road improving it and am now finishing off a 2 room cabin ready for semi fulltime use. The land was 38K. AUD,  I don't think I've spent more than 60K AUD overall. My rates cost next to nothing here. (150 bucks a quarter)

Best of all I can travel back and forth there (without using vehicles if need be) as its within walking distance of the railway station in a lovely little (900 people) country town which can take me the length of the Eastcoast Australia.
Spreading out the cost of improvements over time does not change the actual cost of them. It just means you don't pay that money all at once.

rokguy said:
 . . .

It depends on the improvements:
 - If improvement is needed to use the land, the land is useless to you until improved.
 - If improvements are needed to increase your enjoyment of the land, each decision is unique.
 - If improvements are for adding value to the property, sweat equity is good; avoiding debt is better.

Delaying payment on improvements can end up costing more or less, depending on a lot of factors.

Watch out Rokguy you are going to get a lot of neighbors! Lol!!!

bullfrog said:
Watch out Rokguy you are going to get a lot of neighbors! Lol!!!
I doubt it. Judging by some of the splitting hairs replies I thought you all wanted to live for free.

Panda has been building her small community, lots of gravel and a shipping container.

rokguy said:

Sweet! Whereabouts are you, ish? I love the E coast of OZ but don't know the railways, in fact I was never on a train when there,,,
Also being able to buy land is becoming rare. Most people on this planet can't anymore. So few countries where it;s possible for an ordinary person.

Qxxx said:
Panda has been building her small community, lots of gravel and a shipping container.

Ausia is the name of the transgender person who owns and travels in the RV named Panda. Panda being an RV really can't build anything as it has no hands with opposable thumbs. But of course it could dig trenches in the sand or on a muddy road if the tires spin fast enough in one spot.

Ausia has a dog whose name is Moo Moo, because she is black and white, cow coloring.
In a poll Moo Moo was voted the most popular furry travel companion on any youtube nomadic RV channel. A very sweet little dog and is very well behaved. Is good with other dogs and with people. Always ready to go hiking or for a ride.

Ausia's youtube channel is called Panda Monium.

Most of the time moo-moo just moves around a little bit, looking cute, but you've probably not seen the video where Panda was out on an e-bike and took moo-moo out of the basket and put her on the ground. moo-moo can run like a greyhound, it was flat out amazing.

For those still interested in cheap land in northern AZ ... these guys said it takes a 1/2 hour to get off the Panda Town property and back to the highway, and the road has some rough spots. In case of bad weather ... oof.

You don't buy property in the country based on how fast you can get somewhere. Her property will not be lived on full time.

Yes, of course, but some people seem to be looking for a magical Nirvava.

Yep, people don't want to get off the asphalt. If the road is busy enough to be paved, I don't want to be on it (as I sit here in a house on a concrete street in a city, not by original design). :(

Paved is one thing, dirt has many variables, one being if its county maintained. Dirt isnt necessarily bad, but composition of the material (plain dirt, clay, sandy, rocky, etc), how long, type of bed it has, low spots, potential snow, all affect how passable it can be in inclement weather. Ive lived on various dirt roads for much of the last 30 or more years, ive never been weather out or in other than snow too deep to pass easily, which of course had nothing to do with the road type. The land I had my tipi in Az was pretty poor in winter and bad weather though, it wasnt regularly maintained, no plowing, super muddy when very wet. Im not counting that in my "last 30 or more years" comment.

One girl I knew had land she loved because of its relative remoteness, but it turned into a serious ordeal when she had to work regularly, and it really tore her truck up driving it regularly rather than intermittently. Some places washed out when it rained much, making it impossible to pass until graded or worked on. She walked in many times to get home and feed her animals. Rough, washboarded roads are in fact hard on vehicles, even 4wd trucks and SUVs/ At my current location, the country road was dirt, was graded regularly, but it was rocky, people drove on it too fast, and was washboarded badly not long after being graded. I had the front end rebuilt on my suburban at one point, and a year later about half the parts needed replaced again. It was eventually paved, enough people complained to the county and they finally did it. I havent hd to have a truck front end rebuilt since. My dirt driving is now a short stretch to pavement from home.

Actual accessibility is one thing a potential land buyer needs to try to research. Spending time there if possible, and roaming about talking to others that already live there or have land there they use intermittently can give valuable insight. Ive camped out a night or two on property i was interested in. I believe I asked the owner, but it was a long time ago. Nobody was too worried about it in any event.

B and C said:
You don't buy property in the country based on how fast you can get somewhere.  Her property will not be lived on full time.

But as I get older and in less than optimal health it's how fast someone can get to me.

Classic Air in the south west all you need is room for a helicopter pad!

One can only imagine what a Flight for Life helicopter ride would cost between Bullfrog Central and Grand Junction or Salt Lake City. Woof.

Latest posts