cheap land?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my wife and I our yearly membership is less than $80 as long as we keep current health insurance everything is covered. Last life flight out with life support was around $26,000 I understand. We joined after our son paid $7,000 for a 28 minute fixed wing flight to Page for what turned out to be a kidney stone several years ago.

Yeah, $26,000. At least the Flight for Life from PandaLand into Flagstaff would probably be only $5000, assuming there was a doctor or Sheriff out there to call it in. Offhand, does one need to be an "official" to call in a Flight? Or can anyone do it?

I remember when I was living in Colorado, the joke was the most common emergency rescue calls in the mountains were from eastern lawyers who had climbed a peak and were too tired to walk back down. So they would call the Rangers and ask them to send a helicopter. The fun of being in the back country.

Here Rangers usually do but the patient pays. You can forget the golden hour principle here as it is usually at least 2 hours before you can get medical treatment in a hospital from here.

When I was in Williams in April, I thought to myself, self, I could live here. That said, I don't intend to move there but it's a nice area

williams.jpg

Attachments

• williams.jpg
    williams.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 7
NomadicFoodie said:
Sweet! Whereabouts are you, ish? I love the E coast of OZ but don't know the railways, in fact I was never on a train when there,,,
Also being able to buy land is becoming rare. Most people on this planet can't anymore. So few countries where it;s possible for an ordinary person.
Hi mate,
I'm about 100km from the border of NSW, bought the land outright which is in country Victoria (if you know Australia) I bought here because of the already mentioned main passenger railway line between Sydney and Melbourne and the main interstate hwy that basically follows the railway.

As I work on the road 9 months of the year, Its handy living along this route, I don't always need to take the motorhome to where I stay on bigger jobs in cities.
 The train can take me directly to Sydney or Melbourne, with a Sydney connection to Brisbane. Out on the hwy The Greyhound operates along similar routes.

Just looking at the youtube clip posted above......Just my opinion.....After building several small cabins now myself, I don't really understand the container concept.
There is so much work involved in just getting the thing insulated, then it also needs to be made aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Even then they are usually bl**dy hot or cold despite the insulation not to mention the amount of welding, steel modification needed to do window, door openings etc. I know because I have 2 I use for storage and a workshop.

I use ex refrigerated reefer pantecs (boxtruck bodies), down here they are all made with insulated Aussie hardwood floors, 3in thick insulated smooth sided externals walls with a similar built roof, the one I'm using now also has a insulated 3in thick polished stainless steel roof. These things are so strong you can simply cut doors a windows out without needing more reinforcing. The ones I usually pick are 20ft being the best priced here and usually half the price of a 20ft container.
Pictured is the current one I'm using for my second room and as stated earlier land if bought reasonable cheap is relatively cheap to develop if you can do most of the stuff yourself.
Don't know what it is like in the US but land in Australia just keeps skyrocketing up so consider myself very lucky to be in the position to purchase.

Attachments

• 20170523_163527.jpg
    20170523_163527.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
OHhhh my goodness. Wish I would have spotted the above post a couple days ago. The thread referenced is one that I started on "How I Became A Vagabond" and the only post in that thread that can really be connected to anything about "Cheap Land" I'm guessin is Post # 29 on Page 3 of the thread.

The rest of the thread I've really written to and for myself but most likely also, only an EXTREMELY small % of readers would find it interesting. I'm not sayin don't embibe but IF you're reading this cause you're interested in "Cheap Land" the only post in that entire thread, I'm guessing is # 29 & you'll most likely find the rest of the thread, especially the first 3 pages extremely uninteresting & boring........

Jus sayin
INTJohn

Yeah, I did forget to indicate the post#. Mea culpa.

MotorVation said:
When I was in Williams in April, I thought to myself, self, I could live here. That said, I don't intend to move there but it's a nice area
Williams, California?  If so, I agree.  A short ride through the hills to Willits and on to Fort Bragg on 20.  Sacto is only an hour or two south on I5.  Lake County is beautiful.  I have driven from Humboldt County to I80 through Willits and Williams at least 100 times.  Water in Williams might be an issue; I have never lived there.  I imagine food is more expensive than in Sacto but this is a guess.

Ah. Williams, Arizona? I've driven through it a few times; maybe 5-10 times. Frankly I don't remember anything about this Williams. A quick drive from the midwest to California on I40, I70 or I80 does not give me enough time to enjoy the local areas. I did live in Queen Valley, Arizona for a short time at the in-laws winter place and enjoyed it but got out while the weather was still nice (cool). Best of luck at whatever Williams one chooses.

From earlier context, I think it was referring to Williams AZ.

A quick addition. My youngest brother got his undergraduate degree at Embry-Riddle University in Prescott, Arizona during the 1980s and love the area; I visited him a couple times and I liked the area. He ended up working it IT in Arizona (and got flown around the country on a moments notice) and loved Arizona. Although he live in California now, I think he would recommend Arizona highly. He had a "concierge doctor" in Arizona and recommended using such doctors.

If I were going to try and find land in AZ, my personal preference would be around Prescott. I spent a couple of days there 2 winters ago, and liked the old city quite a lot, but did not investigate land opportunities. The new area Prescott Valley, however, is the typical upscale suburban ugly build up. Right now, Prescott at 5300' is getting temps in the 80s to 90s, while Phoenix at 1100' is up to around 110F.

I have the same idea & concern for the future. Love your idea to go in on some land. Oregon is pretty wet, that’s good for watering plants. But could be soggy . I wonder if the soil is any good for sowing. Thanks for that link !

Welcome to the forum, CC. You should go to the Newcomers section and introduce yourself, :).

As you will notice, this thread has more than 100 posts, so a bunch of ideas have been floated. The area around Williams AZ received a lot discussion, but I think it waned once people realized the higher elevation (near 7000') and dirt roads would pose an access problem a lot of the year. 

My preferred area in Oregon would be east of the Cascades, where it's much dryer than the western areas. All in all, there are 100s of places in the west that have moderate climates, not too hot and not too cold, plus plenty of sunshine and low humidity. The big 4. Mainly found at moderate elevations.

Cuppacoffee said:
I have the same idea & concern for the future. Love your idea to go in on some land.  Oregon is pretty wet, that’s good for watering plants. But could be soggy . I wonder if the soil is any good for sowing.  Thanks for that link !
Unless you are right on the coast, Oregon isn't that wet. Average annual precipitation west of the Cascades ranges from 25" to 40". Very little of that falls in he summer though.

And you can grow almost literally anything from anywhere in the world west of the Cascades. If you've ever wanted a British garden, you can have one in the Willamette Valley.

jacqueg said:
Unless you are right on the coast, Oregon isn't that wet. Average annual precipitation west of the Cascades ranges from 25" to 40". Very little of that falls in he summer though.

And you can grow almost literally anything from anywhere in the world west of the Cascades. If you've ever wanted a British garden, you can have one in the Willamette Valley.
I've lived in Albany, Corvallis and Philomath, Oregon and all three get plenty of rain, although nothing like Newport, Oregon.  For many people, Albany gets a lot of rain.  Oregon has nothing on Eureka, California, however.

Latest posts