Cheap Kitchen Solution

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanLifeCrisis

Reaction score
I just posted this on my blog as part of a basic/cheap conversion, so i wanted to post here.  I notice someone else posted about a similar sort of setup but a bit bigger, but i didnt want to hijack that thread.  Anyway, someone might like the idea.  I have been using it for a little over a month to transition to my next wood build.  

Cut/paste from my blog instead of just linking.

[img=320x180]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-v9QNn_E1dqc/VgpDDjb27vI/AAAAAAAAArI/HxJPNSFl7WA/s320/PoorMansGallery6.jpg[/img]
Everything you need, in a tiny package

I've had this idea for a kitchen galley for a long time.   Kitchen cabinets/counters can be very expensive, and very difficult to build yourself if you don't have the tools or know-how.   I solved this problem with $19.99 Whitmor 6256-978 Storage Cubes.  These little metal wire storage cubes are pretty neat, they use plastic connectors to assemble (just squeeze them on) and so you can customize the configuration to what you like.  I chose the 4 cube set (kids set is same as regular, but cheaper, its just multicolored).  Each cube is 15 inches.

[img=320x180]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EY_XIYDdcOk/VgpDBTQ-oVI/AAAAAAAAAqs/yECmNXpe2r4/s320/PoorMansGallery1.jpg[/img]
Assembled, and ready, takes minutes and elbow grease.

You can leave the front side of a cube open for front access, or the top off to reach down in.  The wire structure is very handy in general, you can clip bungees, caribiners, and items right to it.  You can also make it even more secure with zip ties at the connections.

[img=320x180]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y_WPfk1LUq8/VgpDCSfd3SI/AAAAAAAAAq8/w8Ve0z-zrCw/s320/PoorMansGallery2.jpg[/img]
Its not a fridge but it will work...

The left cube I left the top off, to drop a $12.34 Rubbermaid 10 qt. Cooler inside.   This allows me to open it from the top easily.   The right cube has a top but the front face is left off, and an $17.95 Reliance Products Aqua-Tainer 7 Gallon Rigid Water Container slides inside for our faucet.   Secure it with a bungee.   Ive driven this down ridiculously rough roads to test it, and despite the weight (and a slight bow to the cube bottom) it holds up fine even without zip ties.

[img=320x180]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UXhj03TYrFY/VgpDB6G1SOI/AAAAAAAAAq0/xV3Kg_ztLYw/s320/PoorMansGallery3.jpg[/img]
Don't fill all the way if you can help it, heavy!

The sink is a simple dish pan from the local dollar store, not gonna bother linking it, just slide it in the cube beneath :)  Pull the pan out under the faucet to catch water, remove the pan completely to toss grey water out.  This is a good place to store dishes and frying pan/pot too.  I also store some personal hygiene stuff here too, so its a bathroom sink and kitchen sink. 

The last cube you can leave the front off and stick food inside, or if you want a cloth drawer as pictured here for about $5.

[img=320x180]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TNIzL2-3hlM/VgpC10tgIKI/AAAAAAAAAqg/U1W0BboydFw/s320/PoorMansGallery7.jpg[/img]
Surprising amount of food in there

Although you can do most of your cooking over the campfire, some times you might be restricted from doing so.  For a stove I chose the smallest and cheapest type, a butane stove.  They are pretty much all very similar, so the $17.77 Coleman Butane Instastart Stove is fine.

[img=320x180]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zlPs1RVo-gY/VgpDC0n_6EI/AAAAAAAAArE/0QdlsxDoiag/s320/PoorMansGallery4.jpg[/img]
Free!  Cut to fit.

Since these have little feet on em, I decided to cover the top right cube with corrugated plastic, which conveniently slots into the cubes plastic connectors.  You can get this plastic for free, gas station signs (ask first!) and tons of election signs (after election) are made from them, just cut them and use the white side.

I tested cooking inside with this setup.   A word of caution, as with any flame you need to have ventilation and adequate space around and above it.   I have a roof vent that works, but since the stove is far from it and my van has a low ceiling, I have to keep an eye on it.  I left the stove running for a while with nothing on it (so all heat going straight up quickly), and the paneling above was too hot to touch after about 10 minutes.   So better to move the stove where it has ample room above it (floor or outside) or limit cooking times to a short duration.  You might notice the fire extinguisher, I also have a carbon monoxide detector, and a wool fire blanket.

I strap the stove to the cube top with another bungee for transport.
 Moving the stove also provides a small counter, or just use the top of the cooler :)

Martin, I really like this solution, even over a wood-built unit should I ever get a larger vehicle. I like that it's lightweight, doesn't collect dust/dirt, and that you can see and find stuff easily. Do you think the wire would hold if your 7-gallon water container were filled to capacity (about 58lbs)? Or, do you think it would bend or fail over time? Suanne

Suanne
"Ive driven this down ridiculously rough roads to test it, and despite the weight (and a slight bow to the cube bottom) it holds up fine even without zip ties."
Reinforcement with 1x2 or maybe paint stirring sticks may help prevent that.

im not sure, i bet it would if you braced it. i had it 3/4 and it held, but bowed the piece it was on. I am pretty surprised how solid it is once all snapped together. before i replace with cabineys i will test it and report back.

Ok, I went ahead and tested this out, and it held pretty well on its own. It did fail at one point, but i corrected it with zip ties, and now i think it will be good to go, even with a full tank and pretty extreme jostling.

Here is a video if you want to see the stress test :D

PS: Aqua-tainers are friggin heavy when full, I may need to see a doc after carrying it from my sisters house to the van lol

WARNING !! : Thread semi-hijack.
VLC, I got to thinking that rather than (or in addition to)  carrying a heavy/awkward 5-7 gallon jug that 4-1 gallon jugs fit perfectly in.....(get ready !!) a PLASTIC MILK CRATE.
   It's not only easier to carry the crate, it's easier to fill the jugs  + it's easier to empty them individually + with a board placed on top of the crate you regain the floor space  that a 5-7 gallon jug would use and have an extra seat/footstool/mini-table etc.
KinA.

True, but the original idea is to create a gravity sink as well :) I think I have seen that done by someone else on this forum, they used the crates for a bed or something too.

I dont think ill totally fill that thing personally, i just did it for the test. I like having a gallon or two seperate in jugs anyway, tho maybe if i plan to boondock extended periods i might.

VanLifeCrisis said:
Ok, I went ahead and tested this out, and it held pretty well on its own.  It did fail at one point, but i corrected it with zip ties, and now i think it will be good to go, even with a full tank and pretty extreme jostling.

Thanks much for testing that out Martin!  You went above and beyond to answer my query.  Now, using those cubes for storage has become a part of my solution for when/if I get a van.