Charging system beef up

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Todo

Reaction score
I just finished doing this over the weekend, here's what I did!
Replaced the factory 105 amp alternator with a newer factory style 185 amp alternator.
Using 2 gauge cable, I ran a hot from the new alternator to the battery Pos. along with a ground cable from an alternator mounting bolt to battery Neg. and a short ground from battery to body.
I ran both cables along the top of cowl along with the main wiring loom going across. Once I wire in my 50A DC-DC charger, it'll get a fuse installed as well.
As well I replaced the battery with a dual post model, the side posts I use for factory wiring, and the top posts for my wiring.
I figure this should well feed the charger.
:cool:
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]InkedIMG_20210525_151723191_LI (Large).jpg[/font]
IMG_20210525_151631752 (Large).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210525_151631752 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20210525_151631752 (Large).jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 11
  • InkedIMG_20210525_151723191_LI (Large).jpg
    InkedIMG_20210525_151723191_LI (Large).jpg
    307 KB · Views: 10
Uncle Todo said:
Once I wire in my 50A DC-DC charger, it'll get a fuse installed as well.

Will the + feed to the charger connect directly to the alternator or the battery?

HDR, I just bought those when I got the battery. I like the posts sticking up where the military ones are sideways. When/if I need to replace them I'll look at some military jobbers.

S2D, the charger will connect to the battery. Once I determine the final location I'll run + & - cables from the battery to it.

The DieHard battery reminds me of when I was doing marketing for a riding mower company. I toured the factory in Georgia where they also made riding mowers for other brands on the next assembly line over, or on the same assembly line but a different shift. They happened to be doing a run of Craftsman mowers when I was there. One worker's job was to take unbranded batteries from a pallet and stick DieHard labels on them. The same batteries went into other brands.