Carla's Camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truck was great, except for a noise it makes when I'm really pushing it... up a hill or even a long low grade. The sound is hard to describe. It's coming from the engine bay and only when it is straining... almost sounds like water spraying or a metallic sound. But also reminds me of the sound old engines made when the engine was knocking.

It stops when I'm no longer pushing the truck hard. Although, six hours into the trip it did it when I started the truck in the morning at Walmart. It sounded so much like water spraying I thought it was inside the cab.

I need to call my mechanic about it. He will have to drive the truck while towing the trailer to know what I am talking about.

My first thought reading your comment about the noise was it sounds like the secondary, or 4 barrel on carburetors. I dont know what the fuel injected version would be on a Ford of your era. Making the sound when it started sort of ruins that idea though, unless it was stuck open.

I-80 across South Pass in southern Wyoming may be the easiest path for you. Its the traditional wagon route to the northwest from the mid 1800s. There are some grades, but they will have long gentle approaches as others mentioned. Some googling may give info, I dont know.

I would avoid running water to flush until the toilet bowl is drained out, adding more water could be somewhat problematic until that happens (Im absolutely stunned at how many people insist on flushing a house toilet thats stopped up, and adding more water, causing much more problems than they already had). If indeed the black tank is full, you may have to dump it before the toilet will drain.

You likely already know this, but feminine hygiene products are a definite no go in camper toilets.

...to unclog tanks...flushing it out with a hose while it it hooked up to a dump station. Run the hose through the trailer into the toilet.
For those unfortunate few with 'holding' tanks, some travelers get cheap laundry detergent (at the Buck-And-A-Quarter Store), then pour a goodly portion of the jug directly into the commode.
And then, load the 'holding' tank with a goodly portion of water.
And then, a long drive on a bumpy road.
Apparently, the detergent softens the stool, easing evacuation.
Visualize a poop smoothie.
[The 9yo boy made me write that, completely against my better judgement...]
[edited to add]
[And wants this section of the thread to continue...]

For those unfortunate few with 'holding' tanks, some travelers get cheap laundry detergent (at the Buck-And-A-Quarter Store), then pour a goodly portion of the jug directly into the commode.
And then, load the 'holding' tank with a goodly portion of water.
And then, a long drive on a bumpy road.
Darn. Wish I had added detergent before the trip home. I've read that an entire bottle of Dawn dishwashing soap works.

Actually if you are using enough water it is more like tea! Yes Dawn and some crushed ice which will melt after a short while sloshing around helps.

I called a local RV Dealership (again) and they put me in touch with a local mobile RV Tech company. The RV Tech place told me to save on a house call and go buy Unique. Funny, because that is what camper and kyz said in the Tuesday night chat. But then we started discussing all kinds of gadgets. So I will buy that and pray it works.

Also going to buy the wand and the backflush gadgets for regular maintenance. Watched more black tank videos last night and am convinced this happened because I didn't have enough water in the black tank.

I've learned so much from the poop pyramid.

Edit: this morning my power center had a steady hum to it. That worried me, but searches suggest that a humming sound is normal from the power center. It's gone now.

One more thing, must I use a RV place to get the breakaway cable installed? Don't RV places charge more for just about everything?

Edit: this morning my power center had a steady hum to it. That worried me, but searches suggest that a humming sound is normal from the power center. It's gone now.

One more thing, must I use a RV place to get the breakaway cable installed? Don't RV places charge more for just about everything?
It forgot the words...........

Even you could install the cable

It forgot the words...........

Even you could install the cable
From the truck? It's already there on the tongue.

Edit: I looked at a few on Walmart's site. So it is just a cable that lets the cable and small box thing on the tongue know that the trailer has separated from the truck & ball hitch?

Then the tongue thing knows to apply the trailer brakes?

I thought the truck cable had to be attached to the truck brakes, lol... I know, doesn't make sense

Thanks norm

Last edited:
The dumb cable will mechanically trigger the emergency brakes on the trailer as the cable goes taut. The chains will be the only thing connecting the tow vehicle and the towed vehicle.

No smarts about it, just brute physical force.

Always check that your coupler and the ball are wedded in a long term relationship.

The dumb cable will mechanically trigger the emergency brakes on the trailer as the cable goes taut. The chains will be the only thing connecting the tow vehicle and the towed vehicle.

No smarts about it, just brute physical force.

Always check that your coupler and the ball are wedded in a long term relationship.
thanks Wayne

I-80 across South Pass in southern Wyoming may be the easiest path for you. Its the traditional wagon route to the northwest from the mid 1800s. <snip>

If indeed the black tank is full, you may have to dump it before the toilet will drain.
I'll look again, but it seemed like 'flattest routes' website kept suggesting I-90 through Rapids City and Montana, then Spokane and north from there.

I do want to see Badlands, but I like what you said about I-80. I'll get a good map. I don't like that the atlas I have ... well, I want a decent size map of the U.S. Versus maps of each state and a small U.S. map.

About that noise. We discussed it in 'Tuesday Night Chat' and most there agree with the campground host at the nat'l forest: i need higher octane fuel while towing. Does that make sense?

Thanks Malamute

From the truck? It's already there on the tongue.

Edit: I looked at a few on Walmart's site. So it is just a cable that lets the cable and small box thing on the tongue know that the trailer has separated from the truck & ball hitch?

Then the tongue thing knows to apply the trailer brakes?

I thought the truck cable had to be attached to the truck brakes, lol... I know, doesn't make sense

There should be a breakaway switch mounted on the trailer tongue. Its usually just a small black box (about the size of a deck of cards) and it should have a small plastic 'plunger' inserted in the forward facing edge.

This plastic plunger needs a lightweight cable running from the plunger to the tow vehicle, usually a clip, clamp, hook, etc on the tow vehicle bumper, usually within a foot of the receiver hitch but NOT attached to the receiver hitch, it needs to be attached to the bumper or maybe the frame, depending on what you have to work with.

IF your trailer separates (while in motion) from the tow vehicle, the breakaway cable pulls the plunger out of the breakaway box and the circuit inside the box makes contact and applies the trailer brakes at full power, hopefully reducing the speed and the distance the trailer will roll.

I prefer the coiled breakaway cable design, it doesn't 'droop' as far down, and usually tends to stay out of your way when working around the hitch components.

Latest posts