Cargo Van vs Passenger Van Pros/Cons

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gest

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a newcomer and do not yet know all the customs in this new land, so please excuse my ignorance if I transgress. I tried my poor skill at searching on the forums but couldn't make it work.  So I'm just gonna ask straight out.

I am wanting to start my new direction in life right away, traveling and living in a van, so I'm looking for a van, and whatever I buy will pretty much be it for a very long time so it's a big step for me and I worry about making a bad choice. I have noticed that passenger vans are usually cheaper than cargo vans in the same model range, like Chevy Express.  And as an aside I am leaning toward a used Chevy Express 3500 extended.

What would you think are pros and cons of an extended cargo van versus an extended passenger van in the same model range?  Is it just the windows or is there something else I should know?  BTW, the long range plan is to put a high top on it like the kind Cyclevan does, sometime down the road, if that makes any difference.

Thanks...

-- Gest

Depends... windows give ya great views in the morning (unless you are parked in a Walmart) Panel vans gives ya instant privacy (and creeper van status)

There are so many opinions on this, and so many pros/cons on both...

I have a Safari passenger min van I am building and I am splitting the windows so to speak. I have two large windows on each side, the rear ones will be blocked out on the inside, the rear hatch and front two windows (not drivers passenger windows) will give me great views in the mornings, and covering the rear two gives me interior build out options.

What do you want, want to do, where will you go/stay?

I tool around in a window van. I find it easier to close a curtain vs wishing I could peek through sheetmetal.
Just my hangup.

As has been mentioned, first you have to decide if you can do without windows. It doesn't bother me, but you may hate it--only you can answer that.

A lot depends on how involved you want to get in the conversion. If you want to insulate and panel the roof and walls then a cargo van makes that much easier--you have direct access to the ribs and walls. With a passenger van youhave to rip put a bunch of stuff before you can even find the walls.

Maybe you like how pretty the passenger van already is--but it comes with a price, all that plastic trim and fru-fru eats up a bunch of your interior space.

It's all trade-offs, you have to decide which is most impotant to you.
Bob

^^^ I ripped out all my fru-fru below the window line on the ones I am keeping open, and up to the headliner on the ones I'm not, man did that open things up!

TequilaSunSet said:
^^^ I ripped out all my fru-fru below the window line on the ones I am keeping open, and up to the headliner on the ones I'm not, man did that open things up!

Same with me.  I completely gutted my Hightop conversion van.  The amount of wasted space otherwise is just staggering.  For example, the ceiling stepped down 4" over the back bench seat - just because someone thought it looked better?  It was all empty space above that step-down.  I opened up a good 2-3" to the outside sheet metal all the way around, and even the doors have 3" deep hollow cavities in them that are very usable for storage space.

This also allows me to insulate things exactly how I want to.  For me, its the best of both worlds, though it's definitely a lot of extra work!

Gest said:
Hi All,

I am a newcomer and do not yet know all the customs in this new land, so please excuse my ignorance if I transgress. I tried my poor skill at searching on the forums but couldn't make it work.  So I'm just gonna ask straight out.

-- Gest
Hi Gest- I have a window van, and can tell you there's very little insulation behind the factory walls & ceiling, & takes up a surprising amount of space. If you're going to spend much time in it, you need good insulation everywhere. You can also wire/plumb it before finishing. Factory windows are heavy & have little insulating value. If you really want a window, consider the RV type that you see on conversion vans. Add at least one roof vent.
The Chev/GMC cargo interiors are easy to insulate & finish, and their small V8s + the 6spd trans seems to be a popular arrangement.
Some of Cyclevan's hightops look a lot like Fiberine's, you might also look their way.

A cargo van typically doesn't come with any sort of interior and often no windows, but a passenger van sometimes comes with too much of both.

My Transit Connect gives me the best of both worlds, imo.

Even though it's technically a cargo van, it comes with a headliner and upholstery on the side and front doors. It also came with rear, tinted windows and aftermarket RV/camper windows that I added both curtains and Reflectix to.
I like having the option to go windowless or let some light/warmth in when conditions are right.

I personally prefer the factory window vans. Conversion vans are harder to stealth in, and the windows almost always leak. I don't know about cargo vans, I always like to see whats going on if I needed too,

Many thanks to all for sharing wisdom and giving me many good things to consider.  I truly appreciate all the replies.  

I guess I just needed to hear someone tell me that it just all depends on what works for me.  Words of wisdom that somehow I couldn't figure out for myself. I'm not worried about it anymore, so many thanks. -- Gest

My cargo van came with windows in the side cargo doors and the back doors so I have the best of both worlds... :D 

Most of my awake time that is spent inside the van (which isn't much time btw) is spent sitting in the passenger seat which I converted to a swivel base. I put curtains on the windows and have a quilted (for insulation purposes) window shade that hangs all around the driving compartment. I can leave it up covering the windshield and have both the passenger and drivers side windows for viewing as well as out the side cargo doors or I can close up the curtains at my discretion.

If I had a cargo van with no windows whatsoever I would be adding windows.

But not having conversion van windows or passenger windows down the drivers side and behind the side cargo doors allowed me to design the interior much easier than if I had a window van. I have a full height cabinet as well as the bed was placed at a height I wanted it, not dictated by where any windows were.

It doesn't have to be an either/or situation.

If you can get one of the cargo vans with windows that tilt out at the bottom in the side cargo doors and/or the back doors it's even better than the fixed windows I have.

BigT said:
A cargo van typically doesn't come with any sort of interior and often no windows, but a passenger van sometimes comes with too much of both.  

My Transit Connect gives me the best of both worlds, imo.

Even though it's technically a cargo van, it comes with a headliner and upholstery on the side and front doors.  It also came with rear, tinted windows and aftermarket RV/camper windows that I added both curtains and Reflectix to.  
I like having the option to go windowless or let some light/warmth in when conditions are right.

Big T:

What is a headliner and what is the difference between regular car windows and RV/camper windows?  Thanks.

Almost There said:
My cargo van came with windows in the side cargo doors and the back doors so I have the best of both worlds... :D 

Most of my awake time that is spent inside the van (which isn't much time btw) is spent sitting in the passenger seat which I converted to a swivel base. I put curtains on the windows and have a quilted (for insulation purposes) window shade that hangs all around the driving compartment. I can leave it up covering the windshield and have both the passenger and drivers side windows for viewing as well as out the side cargo doors or I can close up the curtains at my discretion.

If I had a cargo van with no windows whatsoever I would be adding windows.

But not having conversion van windows or passenger windows down the drivers side and behind the side cargo doors allowed me to design the interior much easier than if I had a window van. I have a full height cabinet as well as the bed was placed at a height I wanted it, not dictated by where any windows were.

It doesn't have to be an either/or situation.

If you can get one of the cargo vans with windows that tilt out at the bottom in the side cargo doors and/or the back doors it's even better than the fixed windows I have.

I would love to see your set-up.  I looked at your blog but can't find an index.  Is there a posting that shows all your cozy custom comforts?  Thank you.

Lisahi said:
I would love to see your set-up.  I looked at your blog but can't find an index.  Is there a posting that shows all your cozy custom comforts?  Thank you.

RVTravel gave you the link to the build thread, for which I thank him.

Here's the link to the video that Bob did around the time of the RTR.

I've since been able to install the wiring/outlets throughout the van and have the fridge and freezer units in place. I also finally got all my curtains sewn.

BTW, I'd like to dispell the myth that I'm a little shy (Bob starts the video saying that). I'm definitely NOT shy, just don't like to be on camera...lol.

A few more finishing touches this summer like closing in the wiring chases and putting in the kitchen sink and I'll be done..yeahhhh!!

Lisahi said:
Big T:

What is a headliner and what is the difference between regular car windows and RV/camper windows?  Thanks.

The headliner is the fabric on the ceiling of your car/truck/van.  Mine is very rigid, thick and offers some insulation.  Having had a van without a headliner, I can definitely feel the difference on a hot day.  It also helps reduce the noise level from raindrops hitting the roof as well as the normal squeaks and rattles you get from a steel body.  

My RV/camper windows are not factory, they are aftermarket, are tinted glass with screens, and they slide open.  

One thing to consider if getting a passenger van is to have the windows limo tinted. Limo tinting (according to the guy who has the Into The Mystery 13 YouTube channel) is almost impossible to see into the interior during the day and helps reduce heat from the sunshine. However, you would need some kind of covering at night as the tinting isn't that private if you have lighting on.

@BigT: That's a nice looking vehicle. Unfortunately, I think it would be too small for my needs. I'm over 6-ft tall.

I appreciate pretty much every build I've come across on here.  With that said, the more time I am in the van the more I'm so glad that I have a lot of windows.  Yes, it's harder to stealth in some situations, and has other drawbacks such as letting a lot of light in while trying to sleep during the day, and being poor insulation.  But the views are just stunning.  When all the shades are open and the back and side doors are open, it's almost like being outside.

[img=640x480]http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/...ived_10201775507425612_zps2ri5u605.jpeg[/img]

If you're a lover of the outdoors and nature, it's an instant mood lift being able to see around you and take it all in, even when inside the van

Instead of worrying about the length of the vehicle, I would put more emphasis on the interior height of the van. My old Dodge B-250 did not have standing height, while my Ford Transit does. Has a major impact on living in a van.

Van Williams