cargo trailer stealth camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13clicks

Reaction score
View attachment 2617 My new cargo trailer stealth camper from Redondo Bch. I just bought this the other day. Starting to plan my build. Off grid... Solar, compost toilet,  loft bed or Murphy. Propane heat and on demand hot water.  Ad a sunlight and a smallish tinted window or 2.

Any ideas? Where to start?

0. build walls or bed and storage.

1 wiring. Plumbing.

2 insulation.

3 bla bla bla

Photos are hard to post here. image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
13clicks said:
My new cargo trailer stealth camper from Redondo Bch. I just bought this the other day. Starting to plan my build. Off grid... Solar, compost toilet,  loft bed or Murphy. Propane heat and on demand hot water.  Ad a sunlight and a smallish tinted window or 2.

Any ideas? Where to start?

0. build walls or bed and storage.

1 wiring. Plumbing.

2 insulation.

3 bla bla bla

1. Exterior changes (windows, 30 Amp plug in, roof vent, etc)

2. Insulation

3. Wiring and plumbing rough-ins

4. Finish walls

5. Flooring

6. Build any built ins

7. Finish wiring and plumbing (LED's, inverter, etc)

Welcome! I too am a big fan of converted cargo trailers. You'rs looks pretty big, what size is it?

I agree totally with Almost There's suggested order, that looks like the ideal way. When I converted mine I was looking hard at winter coming so I changed the order a bit but his is ideal.

Stating with the windows and vents would be very good. My trailer is only 6x10 and I put in two vents on the roof with covers and two windows. I didn't want to cut the ribs so that limits how big the windows could be. Your trailer looks bigger than mine so more windows would be good. I bought mine from eBay where they have a very big selection of used and new windows.

We love to answer questions here, so fire away!
Bob

Thanks all... It's a 8x20 car hauler. I just bought a 3way fridge and I'm planning more starting points while my funds grow. I'm going to move into it unfinished at the end of the month because I jumped the gun on giving notice at my money pit apartment. Haha yeeeeeeeesssssss I'm crazy. I'm building my loftbed and running some basic electric for when I plug into my buddies extension cord where I'm parking it. Im parking it in a parking lot behind his motorcycle shop by the beach. Life's good. Glad it's global warming here being super mild winter. It's 80deg today... Perfect. Looking for skylights next.

13clicks said:
Thanks all... It's a 8x20 car hauler. I just bought a 3way fridge and I'm planning more starting points while my funds grow. I'm going to move into it unfinished at the end of the month because I jumped the gun on giving notice at my money pit apartment. Haha yeeeeeeeesssssss I'm crazy. I'm building my loftbed and running some basic electric for when I plug into my buddies extension cord where I'm parking it. Im parking it in a parking lot behind his motorcycle shop by the beach. Life's good. Glad it's global warming here being super mild winter. It's 80deg today... Perfect. Looking for skylights next.
Skylights may not be the best answer. Yes, they let in light, but they also let radiant heat in and don't give you a way to vent the heat out again.

At least one vent, and with the 8x20, I'd suggest 2 or more, will give you the ventilation you need without the heat build up from a skylight.

I just purchased a new 7x16 enclosed trailer for work/camping. Inside there is a sticker saying not to sleep inside that pressure treated lumber fumes can cause death. If you are unsure what type of plywood flooring you have I think it would be a good idea to KILZ oil base prime complete interior to make a vapor barrier to keep fumes at bay.

highpsiguy said:
I just purchased a new 7x16 enclosed trailer for work/camping. Inside there is a sticker saying not to sleep inside that pressure treated lumber fumes can cause death. If you are unsure what type of plywood flooring you have I think it would be a good idea to KILZ oil base prime complete interior to make a vapor barrier to keep fumes at bay.

First, I would bake it in the sun for a few weeks. Open it up at night to let it air out, then close it back up in the daytime to let it get as hot as possible in there. 

A Fantastic Fan added to your vents will move a ton of air. They have one of the best warranties and customer service too, replacing virtually anything that ever breaks for life.
http://www.fantasticvent.com/fan-tastic-vent-s-retail-12-volt-fans.html

The size of your trailer just begs for a large solar array. I suggest you consider panel placement and shadows before you cut holes in your roof for vents. (Even if solar is a long time down the road.) If you have the resources and plan to travel to where it's warm a high efficiency mini-split AC might be a worthwhile investment to consider. With enough solar (1,400-1,500 watts and a large battery bank) you could even run your DC powered heat pump off the grid, being fully self-contained in almost any weather. http://www.geinnovations.net/solar-electricity-cost.html

Don't forget tanks for both fresh and waste water. Your trailer is big enough you could even add a small RV water heater and shower stall if you choose. Here's a 42 gallon RV water tank that could fit easily under a couch or something on sale for $84, allowing you to stay off the grid for a week or more, even showering! http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/rv-water-tanks.htm

Here's a new Atwood 6 gallon propane water heater on sale for $262. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/atwood-rv-water-heater-parts.htm

Chip

highpsiguy said:

Nice I'll look into it. I'm resurfacing most of it. But yeah... Death isn't what I'm after.

GrantRobertson said:
First, I would bake it in the sun for a few weeks. Open it up at night to let it air out, then close it back up in the daytime to let it get as hot as possible in there. 

Good to hear. This trailer lived in the heat... 100+ all summer. Pretty sure it's burnt out now. I'll live I guess.

Almost There said:
Skylights may not be the best answer. Yes, they let in light, but they also let radiant heat in and don't give you a way to vent the heat out again.

At least one vent, and with the 8x20, I'd suggest 2 or more, will give you the ventilation you need without the heat build up from a skylight.

I have a 12 foot cargo T. and plenty of room. I built doors in the back with screened windows and the amount of light is great without cutting into the trailer.
Have fun remodelling. That is huge!

highpsiguy said:

That's kind of worrisome. I don't know if I should have died yet.
My cargoT is several years old and I've never noticed any noxious smell.
I think Kilz is a good idea.
Janna B

Wow, I'd love to have a trailer that size!
I'll probably end up with a 7 X 12 or 7 X 14 if I'm lucky.
Good luck on your project!

Pressure treated wood usually has a dark tint to it, this is the chemical that it is treated with. In a cargo trailer most likely the floor is pressure treated to to make it last much longer, because the underside is exposed to road spray in rainy weather. I have worked with pressure treated wood and have never noticed any fumes coming from the wood so any fumes coming off of it don't have a smell.

JannaB said:
That's kind of worrisome.  I don't know if I should have died yet.
My cargoT is several years old and I've never noticed any noxious smell.  
I think Kilz is a good idea.
Janna B

This concerns me quite a bit, as most of the options I am contemplating includes some pressure treated plywood.  After reading a lot last night I came to the conclusion that it is safe enough for me to use, with some basic precautions.   They are while working / cutting: gloves, face mask, goggles and long sleeve shirt.  I believe most of the danger from PT wood is in breathing the dust and skin contact.  After construction I would want all PT wood encapsulated with a vapor barrier (paint or primer).  Most of the danger from off gassing seemed to come from the formaldehyde rather than the insecticide.   

Here are some links and quotes that helped me in this decision.

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Tiny-home-building-osb-vs-plywood.html[/font]

“The EPA recommends the use of “exterior-grade” pressed-wood products to limit formaldehyde exposure in the home. These products emit less formaldehyde because they contain phenolresins, not urea resins. 

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Homedepot_benefit_pressure_treated_wood[/font]

[size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]Wood preservative science safety[/font]
[/size]
[size=small][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]EPA Regulating Pesticides[/font][/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]Is-Pressure-Treated-Wood-safe-or-not[/font]
[/size][/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]Prowoodlumber ProWoodPlywoodMSDS.pdf[/font][/size][/size][/size]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Mass.gov pressure-treated-wood-questions-and-answers[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Webmd health-ehome/2010/09/a-sane-home-in-a-plywood-and-particleboard-world[/font]

[size=small][size=small][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]Your lawyer topics/overview/pressure_treated_wood[/font]
[/size][/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/reregistration/cca/[/font]
[/size]
[/size]