Cargo trailer bed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vern

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in the process of prepping for a 6x12 cargo trailer conversion. I really would like to be able to convert the bed into semi comfortable seating for those icky days I'll be stuck indoors. 

Dorel Home Products Black Metal Futon Frame for Wood Arms https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TZ7U80/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_leWWybXRPN3FE

Anybody have any input regarding something like this or something that would do a better job?

Thanks, Vern

I was\am thinking a futon also. Seatbelt holes are what's stopping me. Here's a complete futon frame\mattress for around $130 if you haven't shopped Jet before.

https://jet.com/product/detail/4567...OUVsWsZS5fAwZLoDxyPcajbxw3KMZrqyukaAj_C8P8HAQ

Its $159 but you can get $30 off if its one of your first 3 orders. Point being, maybe buy complete futon instead of putting parts together to save a few bucks(more than a few sometimes!)

Wabbit said:
Its $159 but you can get $30 off if its one of your first 3 orders. Point being, maybe buy complete futon instead of putting parts together to save a few bucks(more than a few sometimes!)

I've got a really nice mattress that I would like to use plus I'm hoping I can find something that I can hard mount that will clear the wall when folding/unfolding like a wall hugger lazy-boy. That way I can make a bit better use of the space underneath for storage.

I wanted to be able to haul my motorbike, sit comfortably, sleep two people separately when it's one of the boys and I, and snuggle with my wife when she's along. All in a 6x12. I ended up building sofas that can fold up on each side, with a connector that can go between. I still have to get cushions made, but all 4 will run about $300. I've been using backpacking pads in the meantime. It's comfortable for us, and I do like being able to sit on the couches and visit. Note, When it's 2 separate beds they are only 24'' wide - fine for me even at 6' tall and 225 lbs, but I realize others may need more room to be comfortable. When the connector is in place its almost kings size at 69 1/2 '' wide and 80'' long.

Hi Vern, how're ya doin?

What did you end up doing for your bed design?

Sassy from the Tillamook get together

Howdy Sassy,

Doing pretty well, trailer is done enough to hit the road for a final shakedown cruise. I tried a twin sized bed while I was in Tillamook... that didn't work for me at all. I flop around too much I guess.. I did order a metal futon setup from Amazon to try... total POS, love their return policy! Hopefully I can upload a couple of pics of what I ended up with. A chunk of plywood, some piano hinges and closet dowel... need to get some sort of strap to hold the mattress in the "couch" position.
You two have any adventures in the works?

Hopefully see y'all soon, Vern

bed.jpg
bed1.jpg

Attachments

• bed.jpg
    bed.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 8
  • bed1.jpg
    bed1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 9
We and Pat are thinking we'll drive out 84 and then south into central Oregon to boondock and get the eclipse experience without getting trapped by traffic. Or maybe we'll just stick around here and get 99.36% of it; that sounds way nicer than sitting in stalled traffic lines and watching nong-nongs start fires throwing cigarette stubs out their windows.

Well your bed looks good. I can't tell quite how that extension gets out of the way when you want it in the couch position but it looks about the perfect size for a backrest. Maybe you can make it do double duty.

What if you ditch the piano hinge and just use a couple of pegs on the bottom of that extension that fit into holes on a 2x2 ledger on the couch edge?

Then you can pop off the extension, make the leg so it can lay flat, and scoot the piece back so it leans at a slant against the wall and stops on bits of 1x2 cleats screwed into the bed platform. These probably won't feel like much through the mattress.

Screw little d-rings into the wall at each end of the bed to strap or bungie across the mattress where you want it to bend up against the "extension-turned-backrest."

This will also give you a triangular cubby behind the backrest to store bedding.

Sassy

PS. Drilling several small holes in the bed platform will help keep the mattress from holding moisture body heat and breath create.

Hi Vern, thanks for the update on your build. I'll go check out the build thread for the pics. Glad you are finding solutions! Sassy