CAR License plates with no permanent address?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FuManchu said:
Bob, are those two separate options, or do they go in tandem?  If I get a UPS box, that becomes my address for driver license?   I still don't understand the thing about the house for sale.  Where is the mail going, if not to that house, and how does it get re-routed somewhere else?

People sometimes have mailing addresses that are different from their actual, physical address.

Example 1:  I live in upstate NY, in the country.  The post office here used to have Rural Route addresses.  I lived on Rock City Road, but the mailing address was RR2, Box 154.  The DMV wanted both addresses.  They wanted to know where to mail stuff to, but they also wanted to know where I actually lived.

Example 2:  I just renewed my NH non-resident CCW for another four years.  The form had spaces for my mailing address, and a separate set of spaces for my legal address "if not the same".

You are going to be telling the DMV that you live at the house that's for sale, but that you get your mail at the UPS box.  Then you are going to have to go by the UPS store every so often and pick up your mail.  BTW, the UPS store will almost certainly want to know your "legal" address, too, so find your For-Sale house first, and then give them that address, too.

It sounds to me like you could just use the address of the apartment you're currently in for both UPS and the DMV , and just "forget" to tell them that you've moved out.  Let them mail everything to your UPS box.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
People sometimes have mailing addresses that are different from their actual, physical address.

Example 1:  I live in upstate NY, in the country.  The post office here used to have Rural Route addresses.  I lived on Rock City Road, but the mailing address was RR2, Box 154.  The DMV wanted both addresses.  They wanted to know where to mail stuff to, but they also wanted to know where I actually lived.

Example 2:  I just renewed my NH non-resident CCW for another four years.  The form had spaces for my mailing address, and a separate set of spaces for my legal address "if not the same".

You are going to be telling the DMV that you live at the house that's for sale, but that you get your mail at the UPS box.  Then you are going to have to go by the UPS store every so often and pick up your mail.  BTW, the UPS store will almost certainly want to know your "legal" address, too, so find your For-Sale house first, and then give them that address, too.

It sounds to me like you could just use the address of the apartment you're currently in for both UPS and the DMV , and just "forget" to tell them that you've moved out.  Let them mail everything to your UPS box.

Oh man, this is going to get messy.  I only told about half of the contacts of my new address in this apartment that I moved into May 1 and now have to get out of.  I haven't told IRS yet nor DMV for driver license but I updated credit cards, car insurance and I *think* my car registration.  The previous address I could probably still keep with IRS and DMV since a family member is living in that house.  It will probably be more of a problem with the things I've re-registered with the new apartment address.

You have no choice, you can't let your mail go to an apartment you don't live at, you'll never get it. No matter what you have to change those addresses again.

People move all the time, you just grin and bear sending out the change-of-address forms.

Will your family member let you get mail at your old hose, that solves your problems.
Bob

I'm now in a state that appears to have no problem with a PO box for a registration address, so I'm kosher, but for a while I had USPS mail forwarding to General Delivery at a tiny post office near where I liked to camp. I just kept renewing it over and over.

Latest posts