Car headrest USB fan recommendation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy2024

Reaction score
I'm looking for a strong USB fan yet quiet to cool the back seat when I park my car in the rest area and take a nap during summer days. Ideally I want to tie it to the headrest of the passenger's side. But if I can hang it somewhere in the backseat then it's fine too.

Here's what I'm looking for

1. USB so I can charge the battery using either my computer or car's cigarette lighter port while driving. I hate any device that uses battery because I have to replace it but I have no choice in this matter since I don't want to run my car while using the USB fan.

2. Strong fan yet quiet to cool the whole backseat

Do you have any recommendation? Thanks

I'm looking for a strong USB fan yet quiet to cool the back seat when I park my car in the rest area and take a nap during summer days. Ideally I want to tie it to the headrest of the passenger's side. But if I can hang it somewhere in the backseat then it's fine too.

Here's what I'm looking for

1. USB so I can charge the battery using either my computer or car's cigarette lighter port while driving. I hate any device that uses battery because I have to replace it but I have no choice in this matter since I don't want to run my car while using the USB fan.

2. Strong fan yet quiet to cool the whole backseat

Do you have any recommendation? Thanks
A “strong” fan by nature is not going to be a quiet fan. If you are going to use electricity from your car’s starting battery you need a system or way to insure you don’t discharge the battery below it’s designed voltage as it will shorten the battery’s life which gets expensive. Knowing what the vehicle is, what temperatures you will be dealing with and how much air flow you require might help us make a better recommendation. Many here have used hybrid vehicles like the Prius in order to have cooling while parked. Much of the country is so hot this time of the year what you are proposing can be deadly.

Last edited:
Sometimes when you can’t find what you are looking for it is because you have a created an impossible to meet set of criteria for your search. That is exactly what you have done this time. What you are asking for does not exist.

Small plus USB rechargeable does not equal quiet plus capable of cooling the entire back seat area of a vehicle. Add in it being easy to attach to a headrest and that is just one more impossible criteria to meet.

Last edited:
Much of the country is so hot this time of the year what you are proposing can be deadly.
About two years ago (horrors, where did the time go?) members of this forum talked me through a disastrous attempt to car-camp in triple-digit heat. I had three fans and they did not put a dent in it. I was having scary difficulty breathing and ended up having to sleep with the door open (fortunately it was in a ~safe and quiet place). Heat does stuff to your body that you can't just tough out. Research thoroughly and be careful!
Speaking of which: fingers crossed for all those folks in Houston!

I have a 2013 Honda Civic coupe. I'll open the sun roof so a lot of air will come in already. The back seat is probably fine too but I just want some additional air flow in the back seat that's all.

Sure a USB fan will make some noise and not 100% completely silent and I'm okay with that. I'm not talking about making the entire backseat cool. I just need some additional air flow in the backseat that's all.

And I'm okay with having batteries in the USB fan. I will not have my car running while parking in the rest area so batteries are fine.

As noted by others there are several fans that are sold but few that will move enough air without being noisy. My choice was based on the fact I already had 18 volt one tools by Ryobi and and already had batteries and a vehicle charger to charge the 18 volt batteries while driving. Also they offered both regular fans and aftermarket had a mister fan offered also I could use outside during the day. It is noisy but I learned to sleep with noise long ago so it was no issue. It moves a lot more air than most usb type fans and I don’t have to worry about draining my vehicle starting battery. Ryobi one 18 volt tools offered lights and a multi outlet power station as well which I also used. Pretty big investment but since I already had the expensive parts to the system it worked well for me for several years until I got a solar system for power. P S putting a wet microfiber towel in front of the fan helps in low humidity areas and makes a really cool neck wrap or refreshing navy bath to help cool off after just a few minutes.

Last edited:
This fan has worked pretty well for me. The gorilla-pod-like tripod made it fairly easy to attach to the headrest of the front seat and get it pointed in the right direction. It has a built-in battery so no worries about draining the car battery, and it ran for several nights without needing recharging. It's quiet enough and was strong enough for my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0928M9JX5

LICONIX Portable Fan, Camping Fan with LED Lantern, 10,000mAh 7 inch Travel Fan with Hook, Personal Desk Fan Indoor, Battery Powered Fan for Office, Bedside, Travel, Tent, Fishing, Picnic, Black https://a.co/d/4bUsBhF

Or the one listed just above, it looks good as well.

Criteria for choosing the fan.

For cooling a broader area you want a larger diameter fan 8” to 10”

For nap time running it on high speed you will want at least 2000ma of battery capacity. But Amazon sells some rechargeable 8” to 10” fans with 12000ma of battery capacity. That would give you enough power with a full charge to run it at medium speed all night long. There will be times when you want to run a fan all night long.

My daughter used this one for her cross country trip last year. Similar to the one you got, but it also has a light.

They said it was one of the handiest things they brought on the trip for both light and fan.

GetBreeze Baby Stroller Fan, Portable Fan 5200mah with LED Lights, Clip on Fan for Baby, Mini Desk Hanging Fan Battery Rechargeable Personal Fan for Stroller, Car Seat, Treadmill, Camping https://a.co/d/hXgJ3JS