12V USB Fan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldwolf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am leaving for a 3 week camping trip soon and I it may still be warm in the evenings out in the upper mid-west.
I have been looking for a 12V usb/cigarette lighter outlet fan that can blow some breeze at night.
Since I am in a mini-van I was hoping to keep the size and noise level down.
I found this one reviewed on YouTube. It looks nice but is rather large.
Does anyone have real-life experience with a fan that you might recommend?
Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y196VR...5.1661891238&tag=comparaboo_origin1_mobile-20

I've used a 4" USB from WM for a couple of years but dropped it and need to get another one but the local WM has been out of them. It doesn't move a lot of air but if you can set it up close, it works OK. I set it on a small kitchen counter directly across from my N-to-S bed in my van. It's close enough I can easily reach over and turn it off after it cools down at night (don't know why WM URL shows up this way):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstay...ivot-USB-Personal-Desktop-Fan-Black/172867863
They sell an AC version of the same fan you could use on a small inverter (depending on how much battery you have). That way it can also be used in S&B. I'm using one now on a $10, 120-watt WM inverter that I also use for charging AA & AAA batteries.

Last edited:
Weird, maybe because the forum software is trying to open a preview and Walmart don't like that.

I have this little guy
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstay...for-Stroller-Car-Seat-Treadmil-Jade/783106647
Pardon my technical ignorance but here's what it says on the label: "Input: DC: 5V, 1A"; it comes with a USB cord where the non-USB end of it is the same as fits into my smartphone.
It can run from batteries or an electrical source. It's not rechargable. (I think you can have either batteries or rechargable but not both in one device?)
It's small (7 x 5.5 inches) and lightweight. It makes a nice breeze. It has a tiny light which might be annoying if you're trying to sleep. It's dirt cheap. It can either hang from something or sit on a flat surface.
I flunked my camping-in-the-heat experiment this summer, but this did help quite a bit on Hell Night. I've been using it a lot in my wheel-deprived housing and it seems pretty sturdy.
So, not sure if it will meet your specs but maybe worth a look.

edited: turns out it's the same general brand name as gone2day's, slightly larger and more expensive.

^Operating on batteries would be good and having 3 speeds is also a plus.

These are great. I have one and it's been reliable. You can leave it plugged in or run it off of battery.

Sturdy enough on the stand and tilts. Or you can get creative with clamps and hang it wherever you want. Recommended.

5200mAh Battery Operated Desk Fan, 9-Inch USB Rechargeable Portable Fan with Retro Metal Frame, Strong Airflow, Quiet Personal Cooling Fan for Home Office Desktop Camping, Black https://a.co/d/ea52iVA

Lot of good ideas, thanks for that.

Last night I remembered my old Massey 9-inch 2 speed fan in my closet. It is 120VAC but when running through the inverter on the Bluetti it pulls only 18/23 watts on low/high speed. Mine is white and much better looking than the same version WM now sells.

How many watts do the USB fans draw that you guys are using?

Walmart Fan

IntIt has a builtad of USB I use a 12v adapter that plugs into my 02 Cool fan. The label on the side for that place to plug into it says 13v 1000ma but it will also run off a cigarette lighter that outputs 9v.

You can put 4 D cell batteries in it. It also has a rechargeable internal battery, I charge it via 12v but I could charge it with a my 9v adapter from a 110v source. So lots of power options to choose from and it has low and high speed options. It runs on low speed for at least 6 hours on the internal battery.

One fan to rule them all. I do not charge it with USB but it does have a USB port on the side as it can be charged that way or used as a battery bank for powering devices such as a phone. I doubt you could straight off power the fan from the USB that way. It would just be a setup for charging it's internal battery when plugged into a USB power source.

These are available on Amazon. Not cheapies but very versatile with good breeze output. I have 2, both times I got them in thrift stores, they needed a good cleaning and power cords, but functioned just fine.

I purchased this one a year ago and have been quit pleased with it. I can set it on the low setting and it will run all night. I can charge it using the cigarette lighter.

1661990888620.png

...soon...

I am leaving...
Does anyone have real-life experience with a fan...you might recommend?
In our ExpeditionVehicle, we use a Craftsman 20v three-speed.
We like it because the batteries are compatible with other Craftsman tools, such as drills, circular saw, and our chain-saw.
A two-amp battery lasts most of three nights, and we keep a full spare next to it.
www.acehardware.com/departments/heating-and-cooling/portable-and-exhaust-fans/household-fans/2005832?store=16144&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjbyYBhCdARIsAArC6LJgqhl-VhLJxFhwhT7i1O9bs6bZhXi5eQm2HxCd7O15k2vHg1AtkJgaAtZcEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds