Car Camping soon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QinReno said:
Also, if you might have a problem erecting a tent, you don't want one that's too big. 6-man tents maybe be a bit taller, so check it out when buying. The hardest part for 1 person is putting the rain fly over the top.

Very true.  It is doable, with practice.  

QR:  The tent I'm going to be using is also a ~10 year old REI tent. Mine is a Hobitat 4 (sp?) .  
I discovered while using it about a year ago that the rain fly that came with it is wholly inadequate in the rain; it works great if it's not raining!  
:cool:

So, I've found that 2 10 x 20 tarps criss-crossed over the tent keep it dry.  And with proper guy-lining, stand up in most winds.  Jaime from the "Enigmatic Nomadics" YT channel suggests using ratchet straps to assist with standing up to the wind.  I believe that HDR at one point suggested using the rubber bungee cords to give some flex in high winds.  I may have the source wrong. 

Regards,

WP

QinRenoAlso said:
Shoots! I had a reply typed out, but lost it. So, starting over:
I like the decoy tent idea. I was looking on craigslist today and saw several good-size tents, some still unopened. If I buy used, I could ask if I might try to set it up before I buy. I have the next eight months to find the perfect tent...for me.
Watching YouTube today & saw some clever small RV's. One was a "Sheep Cabin" hand-made to look old by a couple in Idaho(?). Also ran across an all fiberglass egg-type trailer. It is called LilSnoozy & here's a link for a tour by the manufacture:   I want one! Hope someone will be selling a used one in a few years. [font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]I think it is my fate to own [/font][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]LilSnoozy. [/font][/size][/font][/size]My middle name used to be Sue & kids in grade school would tease me with "Wake Up Little Suzy." See, it's destiny!
Over & out, VW

I looked at the Hobitat 4, that is a very tall tent, 6'=72", whereas the one I linked is only 56" tall. I can see why the H4 might be some trouble to erect for one person.
https://www.rei.com/product/810122/rei-co-op-hobitat-4-tent

I just checked the Little Snoozy, Suzy, and it's actually larger than the name seems to imply. 19' long and 8' high, and starting at $21,000. So not really so lil and not especially cheap either. http://www.lilsnoozy.com/
But kind of getting away from the original topic of this thread. So VW,Wahine,Sandy,Suzy, you should start a Snoozy thread and ask for opinions. :). Maybe someone already has one.

But I think everyone concentrating on tent camping should have a decoy tent. To save space it could be a 2-man tent and be very cheap from Walmart. It could even be deployed alongside the main tent for a solo woman, so it makes it appear there are several people in the camp too, like Liv indicated.

QinReno said:
I looked at the Hobitat 4, that is a very tall tent, 6'=72", whereas the one I linked is only 56" tall. I can see why the H4 might be some trouble to erect for one person.

But I think everyone concentrating on tent camping should have a decoy tent. To save space it could be a 2-man tent and be very cheap from Walmart.

I've put up my Hobitat 4 by myself enough times that I've got a procedure that works.  It is very possible.  But also can be bit of a challenge until you figure it out.  

I also carry my one-person backpacking tent.  The only problem is that it's a little tight with me and my dog.  But usable if the situation calls for it.  

Both good ideas, QR. 

Regards, 

WP

Wahine was talking about having arthritis, so I figured something tall like an H4 would be a problem to erect, :).

Hopefully, you will figure your situation out with the Jeep and the trailer. Hard to give up, but maybe trade the Jeep and truck together for another 4x4 truck. I wish I still had 4WD for the BLM roads in AZ. There are guys out there who still do their own auto renovations, taking stuff off one to put on the other. I was living in Boulder and sold my old Cherokee to a guy living down around Castle Rock who had several old Jeeps. I forget now how I advertised the Jeep as it was 10-years ago.

If I had a trailer, I'd keep it. So, maybe leave it at the friend's house, and go on the road for a year or so tent camping, and think things out for the long run. Nothing like doing it to give you ideas, :).

A too-tall tent is a problem. Once you're in it, it does not matter how any inches are away from your face. It matters if your tent is too tall and less wind-happy. N0thing like a good night's sleep in a comfy; water 'resistant' tent. Note 'water resistant'!
Ask yourself, "How much tent do I need, anyway?"

Have fun!

QinReno said:
Wahine was talking about having arthritis, so I figured something tall like an H4 would be a problem to erect, :).

Hopefully, you will figure your situation out with the Jeep and the trailer. Hard to give up, but maybe trade the Jeep and truck together for another 4x4 truck. I wish I still had 4WD for the BLM roads in AZ. There are guys out there who still do their own auto renovations, taking stuff off one to put on the other. I was living in Boulder and sold my old Cherokee to a guy living down around Castle Rock who had several old Jeeps. I forget now how I advertised the Jeep as it was 10-years ago.

If I had a trailer, I'd keep it. So, maybe leave it at the friend's house, and go on the road for a year or so tent camping, and think things out for the long run. Nothing like doing it to give you ideas, :).

Actually, yeah. I have no plans AT THIS TIME to sell anything.  And I am blessed enough to have a friend with land that will allow me to leave vehicles on his site.  Sadly enough, he's experiencing some medical issues, and I will be hanging around to play taxi driver, and on-site general helper.  Also, to help take care of some burros, so I'm feeling like a "ranchhand"!   ;)

This will give me the opportunity to work on stuff.  I may even get my truck fixed , giving me the option of using all of the tow vehicles and trailers.  

Regards, 

WP

Maybe you can get a tranny/whatever you need from a wrecked truck, that went out for reasons other than the tranny/whatever.

LivGolden said:
A too-tall tent is a problem. Once you're in it, it does not matter how any inches are away from your face. It matters if your tent is too tall and less wind-happy. N0thing like a good night's sleep in a comfy; water 'resistant' tent. Note 'water resistant'!
Liv has seen it all, windstorms and a Confluence of Vortexes in Sedona. For a while, we were gonna start calling her Dorothy Gale, pigtails and all.

I disagree however with "inches from your face". I think a good-quality 4-man tent is almost optimal. It's not difficult to erect for anyone, and big enough you can put a folding chair and table inside, along with sleeping gear. And you can hang out "reasonably" comfortably inside there for a few days in bad weather. Cook under the overhang away from the wind. In a smaller tent, you would have to be sitting in a lotus position for 5 days until the storm passed, and couldn't stand up at all. Oof. Not good for old cranky bones.

True Q is correct- I see my tent as sleeping quarters, only. As soon as I lay prone, I fall asleep and only wake to the sound of bears foraging my neighbor's cast-off baked cookies. So really, a waterproof' easily-set-up; impregnated silicon' double-vestibule tent is all I need.

Having said that, a roomy; 'hey, what are you doing in there tent' sounds great! As long a I don't need someone else to help erect it! Low and wide really does do it for me. Happy camping!

VagabondWahine said:
Pardon for breaking in, but I plan to start car camping in May '19. I'm a single, senior woman and wondered if the Kodiac Flex-Bow can be set-up and taken down easily by one old lady with arthritis. I found this tent on Amazon: AYAMAYA+Camping+Tents+4-6+Persons with a hydraulic auto set up. Curious to hear your opinion. Thank you, VagabondWahine

VagabondWahine, I'm going to buy a Kodiak 2 man tent. I'll begin life on the road in either April or May. I can't remember when my lease is up. I have chronic back problems but I think I can do this! Good luck!

Neal
VagabondWahine, I'm going to buy a Kodiak 2 man tent. I'll begin life on the road in either April or May. I can't remember when my lease is up. I have chronic back problems but I think I can do this! Good luck!

Neal, Sorry to hear of another with chronic pain. Luckily, I have good care & pain meds through Kaiser. Actually, I think I will feel better once I am on the road. Being in nature, up with the sun & asleep early, always busy & getting some exercise (instead of watching Netflix all day), and meeting new people, will keep my mind off my pain. 
This will be a maiden voyage, too. Wish you the best and perhaps meet you along the way.
Aloha, VagabondWahine

Exercise, yes. Walking limbers the joints and back muscles. Much easier to do regularly when you're a nomad. A walk in the desert before breakfast.

QinReno said:
Exercise, yes. Walking limbers the joints and back muscles. Much easier to do regularly when you're a nomad. A walk in the desert before breakfast.

A walk in the desert after dinner would be more my speed. My last prescription from my doctor was "Walk!" Thx

Pats newest rig 10-28 p1.jpg

Pats newest rig 10-28 p2.jpg

Well, I'm getting ready to be hitting the road next week or 2.  I've done a trial run through part of San Isabel NF.  Enough to know that I can tell I'm pulling a trailer, so pulling the 6x12 (which IS built-out) is pretty much out of the question.  

This will work.  And I can go places I couldn't go with my truck and cargo trailer.  This trailer, given to me by Jimindenver about 2 years ago, is definitely lifted.  In fact, it's got more clearance than my Jeep, which is also lifted. 

I'm heading toward New Braunfels, TX for T'day; then working my way over to AZ.  I'll probably go to Show Low to visit some good friends.

Attachments

• Pats newest rig 10-28 p1.jpg
    Pats newest rig 10-28 p1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Pats newest rig 10-28 p2.jpg
    Pats newest rig 10-28 p2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 12
vagabondwahine: we had a Kodiak 9x12 canvas tent and used it for 3-4 years straight. I was the one who would put it up/take down by myself mostly as the travel partner was a stroke victim and not able to do much...it took me a good while to get the tent up but was doable...I no longer use the tent as it got beat up pretty bad in a series of storms that went through the area we were in in texas...If the tent is tied down really well it will hold up under 60 mph winds but the walls will move with the wind, the flapping about drove me bonkers...I now travel by myself and live out of my van, but I do miss the room I had with the tent...especially being able to stand upright in it...OH and if you get caught in an ice storm be prepared to spend the night banging ice off the tent roof as the weight will cave the tent roof down...I've experienced that as well...

bonnieE350van said:
..If the tent is tied down really well it will hold up under 60 mph winds but the walls will move with the wind, the flapping about drove me bonkers..

That's the reason I plan to use my Jeep as a backup sleeping space... when the winds get back, when it rains or snows...I'll just crawl in the back of the Jeep.  

Regards,

WP