Car Camping soon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderin.pat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Southern NM... currently living in an RV park
Very recently, my truck/tow vehicle , a 2001 F150, became in need of expensive repairs. I have been towing my 6x12 Cargo Trailer with it.  I am fortunate enough to also have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee. 

It is my favorite vehicle , but only has a 4.0L straight six engine. I don't think I can pull my 6x12 Cargo Trailer behind it. I plan to move to Car-Camping.  I.E.  , pull up, park, set up a tent.    I may tow a small trailer behind it. 

So, I'm moving from being a cargo trailer dweller to a "ground hugger"...  :)

An evolution I have been planning for a while.  Now .... "Time has come today"... well, last week actually, but thank you, Chambers Brothers.  

I'll be spending time reading of the ins and outs, tips and tricks of Car-Camping here in this forum. 

Regards, 
WP

Trailer from Jim.jpg

My Jeep 2018 0907.jpg

Attachments

• My Jeep 2018 0907.jpg
    My Jeep 2018 0907.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Trailer from Jim.jpg
    Trailer from Jim.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 23
wandering.pat
Congrats on your new life I assume you live in a moderate climate to tent year round I have seen a few people camp in a Jeep its a little tight but may be a safer more comfortable option in Bad weather. From your post it seems you were kind of forced into the life but were wise enough to plan a great way to start your life. I'm biting at the Bit to get started but have been Care Taker for my Dad the Last 10 Years (Alzheimer's) so not sure when but I have everything I need for when the moment comes!
Peace & Blessings
MikesgonenoMAD

MikesGonenoMAD said:
wandering.pat
Congrats on your new life I assume you live in a moderate climate to tent year round I have seen a few people camp in a Jeep its a little tight but may be a safer more comfortable option in Bad weather. From your post it seems you were kind of forced into the life but were wise enough to plan a great way to start your life. I'm biting at the Bit to get started but have been Care Taker for my Dad the Last 10 Years (Alzheimer's) so not sure when but I have everything I need for when the moment comes!
Peace & Blessings
MikesgonenoMAD

Thanks for the good wishes.  I actually have been on the road for almost 2 years.  I've been forced to change my camping style.  I have been spending summers in CO and winters in AZ.  It can get cold at night sometimes, but I've got good sleeping bags!  I have had experience in my cargo trailer in weather around freezing... so, I expect to be ok.   It's great that you've been taking care of your Dad.  I wish you Peace and Blessings as well. 

Thanks.

Btw, Doesn't the Cherokee 4.0l inline 6 have a towing capacity of 3500 lbs which should be fine with your cargo trailer?

I had 4.0L Cherokees, but I am not experienced with using them for towing. It looks like a 6'x12' cargo trailer weighs in at only 1200 pounds empty. That's like carrying 6 passengers in the jeep. A load but not a killer load.

Is the trailer built out?

Just a thought experiment. Could you possibly strip the trailer down to the bare essentials? If wood cabinets, change to plastic ones from Walmart. If water tanks installed, then empty them all out before traveling. &etc.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-4-Drawer-Wide-Weave-Tower-Espresso/140169697

Driving up to the Eisenhower Tunnel is a real grind, but honestly most climbs in the west aren't quite that bad, and you can probably bypass the really steep ones. If you're living full time in the rig, then you probably will camp somewheres for a number of days and then unhook the tow vehicle anyways. You can camp in fairly flat places and then drive to high places. Just tossing out ideas.

Pat,

If you have the factory tow package you should be able to tow up to 3500 pounds. If not keep it under 2000 pounds. Either way you will want a trailer brake system, and a transmission cooling system. Keep the tongue weight under 500.... Perferabliy under 350 and you should have no issues.

Well, I towed it for almost 2 years with a 5.4L V8 (F150) ... I went up too many hills doing 45 in the right lane on Interstates.   I don't have the factory tow package, but have beefed up the leaf springs.  I might give it a try, but am kind of intrigued by going tenting.  When I have been out on the BLM and FS land, I've seen many places that I could have gotten to with just my Jeep, that I wouldn't chance it with my truck and trailer.  

So, thanks, LJ for the advice.  And like I said, I may try it.  Mainly because I've become quite used to my tiny cargo trailer!   :D
Never thought I would say THAT. 

Regards, 

WP

QinReno said:
Is the trailer built out?

Just a thought experiment. Could you possibly strip the trailer down to the bare essentials? If wood cabinets, change to plastic ones from Walmart. If water tanks installed, then empty them all out before traveling. &etc.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-4-Drawer-Wide-Weave-Tower-Espresso/140169697

Driving up to the Eisenhower Tunnel is a real grind, but honestly most climbs in the west aren't quite that bad, and you can probably bypass the really steep ones. If you're living full time in the rig, then you probably will camp somewheres for a number of days and then unhook the tow vehicle anyways. You can camp in fairly flat places and then drive to high places. Just tossing out ideas.

Hahahah... thanks QR.  If you'd seen my trailer, you would laugh.  I have no furniture, other than a tilt-away bed... which IS made of wood.  27 qt. Sterilite plastic tubs are my thing, Man!  

Not too long ago, I went west over Wolf Creek Pass.  HAHAHAHAH.  I have been over Wolf Creek several times in the past... I knew what to expect.  HOWEVER, that was with my truck that has now been literally put out to pasture.  Perhaps my Jeep will be better.  I will give it a try. 

"...climbs in the west aren't quite that bad..."  
Uh... not all of them.  That's true.  

But , as I said in another post, I am intrigued by doing some tent camping.  It would be nice to have some choices though.  

I plan to leave my trailer at a friend's house.  I may come back and pick it up from time to time. 

Regards, 

WP

WP,

I have a small trailer but find I really rather tent-camp, while I'm able. I don't sell my trailer for that "one Day" scenario. I find it is less costly to travel, also. 

I have two tents. Easy,quick set-up and good in high winds. Both have survived major downpours, too. And I just sleep better in a tent than almost anywhere. A comfortable mattress is the thing. I have a nemo Cosmo with cover. The best piece of gear I have. 

Have fun! 

Liv

Having said that if I can sell a property I have , I will buy a van. Can't have too many plans...

Wolf Creek, Monarch, Red Mountain, Berthoud. All the passes in Colorado are worse than most in the rest of the country. But Colorado is special, I lived in the Front Range for 25 years. Assuming you have the home base to leave the trailer, you could tent camp in CO, and then pull the trailer when going to other (flatter) states. Just thinking of possibilities.

I have a GMC Savana van now, and miss having 4WD. There are many places would be nice to go off-road in the southwest, but too rough for the van. I have been thinking of getting an electric bike.

I tent camped all my life up until last year. Liv mentioned downpours. When I was up at Lassen 2 months ago, it poured like the dickens all night long, and the neighbors were in a tent. Said they stayed fairly dry. I never did this, but it occurred to me you could get one of those large blue plastic tarps from Harbor Freight to put over the rain fly on really wet nights. The one thing I hated most was packing up a tent that wasn't fully dried out.

I have 2 tents: a Rightline Gear SUV (for longer stays) and a small dome. For short stays, I use the small dome as a storage unit for stuff which gives me more room for sleeping in the RAV4. I feel safer in the car and weather is less of an issue in it than a tent. For long stays I have put the cot in the SUV tent and organized it like a small cabin with a camping kitchen and milk crates stacked as a pantry/shelf unit. The tents give me more options and don't take up much room when traveling.

I use one of my tents for gear and I like having a 2nd tent in view when pitching for a night or two in a barren area. Sort of like a pair of cowboy boots at the back door, sort of. Two chairs at the campfire...;)

I've been looking at a car tent for my SUV. I dunno. I was wondering how it would fair in high winds. Though I do like the idea of being inside the SUV, at times. So many options - - - it's a good thing.

Ken in Anaheim said:
If tenting, I highly recommend Kodiak Flex-Bow
tents : http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/
Best priced at : https://www.competitiveedgeproducts...s-Tent-6041VX-10x14-with-tarp-6043-_p_23.html
      Very popular in the HIGH WIND and HEAT at Burning Man.
Pardon for breaking in, but I plan to start car camping in May '19. I'm a single, senior woman and wondered if the Kodiac Flex-Bow can be set-up and taken down easily by one old lady with arthritis. I found this tent on Amazon: AYAMAYA+Camping+Tents+4-6+Persons with a hydraulic auto set up. Curious to hear your opinion. Thank you, VagabondWahine

I took a look at those tents. I've not seen any popup ones myself, but I would steer away from anything so inexpensive.   The problem with cheap tents is that the zippers on the doors die quickly and then the tent is totally useless. Personally,  I would spend a lot more money on a tent than $100 range.

I have had a $400 REI 4-person dome tent for about 10-years. This is a nice size, as you can stand up inside it with some stooping, and it's big enough you have room for both your sleeping pad and a folding chair and small table. So you can actually live inside there for a few days in bad weather and not feel too cramped, as you would in a 2-person tent that you can only sit up inside of. I see they still sell a similar tent, but it's cheaper now. Not too difficult to put up. 56" high.
https://www.rei.com/product/893998/rei-co-op-camp-dome-4-tent

The other thing is, you'll notice on the cheaper tents, the rain fly only comes down halfway. You really want a tent with a full rain fly, and good air flow.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-4-Person-Camping-Dome-Tent/945795612

QinReno said:
Personally,  I would spend a lot more money on a tent than $100 range.
Thanks for your input. I do want a 4-6 person tent that is tall enough to stand up in (I'm 5'2" and shrinking) and put all (or most) of my gear inside, as I will be camping most of the summer around Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead). One of the reasons I'm living out of my car is that I want to save enough ($5000?) to buy a camper van or small RV. I see many on Inland Empire craigslist that look decent in this price range. (I would of course have the engine & coach inspected.) I don't plan to camp past August or September next year, so buying something expensive would deduct from my savings and (hopefully) not be used year round. 
Taking a look at the tent I put in my cart, the hydraulic mechanism might not be a good idea (if it breaks, I'm screwed). So I will keep looking and perhaps ask a question about raising it myself.
Aloha, Sandy

Wahine, if a tent is your primary shelter, then you will want a good one that wouldn't leak and/or will not come apart in a wind storm. So it's worth spending a bit more.

Also, what I did was to buy a 2nd cheap $80 Coleman tent from Walmart last year, also 4-man dome, even though I sleep in the van. If I camp out in an area for a while, I can erect the cheap tent for a marker, and don't really care if it gets stolen when I'm away for the day. No one would want to steal a Coleman tent, I think, LOL. I can also use it to get away from the mosquitos in the evening, and save the expensive tent in case the cheap one falters.

Also, if you might have a problem erecting a tent, you don't want one that's too big. 6-man tents maybe be a bit taller, so check it out when buying. The hardest part for 1 person is putting the rain fly over the top.

jimindenver said:
So we are going to mount a panel on the jeep?

I doubt it.  For me, if I'm just driving my Jeep, the limiting factor would be the weight of 2 batteries.  I COULD use a group 27 , like the one you gave me a couple of years ago.  However , when I pull the trailer you gave me, I will probably put my 2 T105'S in there.  And handle the solar panels the way you do with the Expedition (or used to).  

I've actually been handling the solar panels like that for about a year, now.  And that trailer is going to really be useful.  

THANKS AGAIN!

Regards,

Pat