CANCELLED Summer 2017 RTR in Flagstaff CANCELLED!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that was one reason I had to really think twice about the January RTR. I don't get along with crowds well. People will do and act in a crowd in ways that they would never do as a solo person. Crowd mentality is scary

Also....Being able to get far enough away so that I can visit someone else's music when I choose, but it can't come visit me uninvited ...that's about right.

If the RV is ready....I cannot figure if Mom is going to be able to do this or not...but, if she is willing to give it a go..we will try to get there..even if for only a day or two

Self supporting rigs should not be required to use porta potties Moab requires this for a large radius River permits have a similar requirement. I am not a lawyer but it seems this needs attention - also as to what determines an organized event. The rainbow folks, national and regional, have experience with this.

A few porta potties next to a gathering spot seems wise but why doesn't a pit suffice?

Most of us don't have full RVs with externally visible holding tanks. Imagine the string of white cargo vans, "Yes officer, I'm all self-contained in here."

BTMG51 said:
Most of us don't have full RVs with externally visible holding tanks. Imagine the string of white cargo vans, "Yes officer, I'm all self-contained in here."

I would be in that same group. In Moab they just require you to be set up. A wag bag in a bucket would suffice.

So what is the status of the Summer RTR? June 1st is not that far off. I would contribute for the porta pottys.

Tomcor said:
So what is the status of the Summer RTR? June 1st is not that far off. I would contribute for the porta pottys.

Bob says he's headed east coast now, possibly for the entire summer, so I have to assume that means he won't be putting on a summer RTR out west this year.

That doesn't mean someone else can't take the initiative to organize a gathering.

Unlike the winter RTR there isn't classes, talks and the like. It's a gathering from what I am told. There is no reason those interested couldn't meet up in a less organized way. That has the benefit of no one person in charge and no one to give a ticket to.

If you remember the posts from last summer, the Ranger walked right up to Bob and called him by name, which suggests that somebody from the Forest service was monitoring this forum.  So I wouldn't swear that no one could get ticketed.  They might try going after anyone who appears to take the lead here.

Might you be able to beat it in court?  Maybe.  But how much is it going to cost you in lawyer's fees?

Those legalities are worth spending time on. There are other groups with overlapping interests and precedents. Lots of folks dropping into the station and asking questions wouldn't hurt.

jimindenver said:
 . . . That has the benefit of no one person in charge and no one to give a ticket to.

And sooner (rather than later) someone at the FS decides it is enough of a problem to institute permits to camp on National Forest land.  Saw it happen in the BWCA in the '80s.

-- Spiff

I'm still trying to firm things up with the FS for a Permit. I'm nearly certain we will get one, but they are slow as molasses.

I'm driving out east soon to be with my mom. Then I'll drive back west for the RTR, then back east to be with my mom.

It'll be a pain in the butt, but it's what you do for family.

Happy and surprised to hear it! Thanks for

highdesertranger said:
porta-potties are expensive.  plus to be in compliance you need one for every 10 people per week and they must be cleaned once a week.  so do the math,  not cheap.  highdesertranger

We use a single one for about 20-25 people over a long weekend. It gets a "flush" Sunday morning with a couple gallons of water to flush down the "mountain" that generally forms in the center. This helps A LOT. With regular "education" our group generally knows how to stretch it. The guys pee in the bushes and generally leave the Potti for the ladies and dueces only.

We used to have problems with trash in them, but again, some education takes care of that. Those of us with self contained RV's don't use it. Everything helps.

Spaceman Spiff said:
And sooner (rather than later) someone at the FS decides it is enough of a problem to institute permits to camp on National Forest land.  Saw it happen in the BWCA in the '80s.

-- Spiff

There was area opposition to the Red Rock pass that had a partial victory. A sympathetic Ranger could make the introduction  Lots of folks have concerns from radical environs to sportsmen. It is a good topic to have a conversation on. Registering to vote in AZ wouldn't hurt either.

ZoNiE said:
We use a single one for about 20-25 people over a long weekend. It gets a "flush" Sunday morning with a couple gallons of water to flush down the "mountain" that generally forms in the center. This helps A LOT. With regular "education" our group generally knows how to stretch it. The guys pee in the bushes and generally leave the Potti for the ladies and dueces only.

We used to have problems with trash in them, but again, some education takes care of that. Those of us with self contained RV's don't use it. Everything helps.

Reminds me of a certain MC- only campground I was at. The owner lady told us, "Pee behind the trees or in the creek, NOT on my grass!" :)

akrvbob said:
I'm still trying to firm things up with the FS for a Permit. I'm nearly certain we will get one, but they are slow as molasses.

I'm driving out east soon to be with my mom. Then I'll drive back west for the RTR, then back east to be with my mom.

It'll be a pain in the butt, but it's what you do for family.

Thanks for working on the permit, Bob, and for planning to return to do the RTR.

Glad to hear it's still likely to happen. I'll contribute towards expenses. Plan to be there, provided all goes well with my mom's surgery in May.

Thanks for your response to my bed build question too.

akrvbob said:
Then I'll drive back west for the RTR,

I'll finally get to meet you if things go okay.

As far as the potties; it's really not worth debating.  Arizona has requirements, Bob is following those requirements and I'll kick in some cash as well.

I've had a change of plans and

THERE WILL NOT BE A SUMMER RTR

My mom needs me too much to take the risk of driving back to Arizona for a month. She is sure to decline so I do not want to miss out on this time with her when she is still at her best. That would haunt me for the rest of my life.

However, a winter RTR just like we have always done in the past is a 100% certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.