Please advise Chicken Girl leaving Flagstaff

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yogidog said:
Hi! I am with the other poster, who said good for u at two months. I am very brave in someways but not real comfortable sitting alone in the wilderness unless it is totally remote, no traffic. I don't know how far u can travel but I just left California 395 blm camsites and they were perfect for me . Not crowded 5 a nite and I said I would feel comfortable having my daughter's there alone!

Also I picked bishop area because it is 85 and 50. For next few weeks. If u have the national park pass it is 250.

There was an important part of my copy and paste that didn't make it the first time:

If ever your spidey sense is telling you to move on, listen to it. Doesn't matter what kind of critters---2 or 4 legged were out there that night. I've read it on here a few times that someplace or some situation didn't feel right so they got out of there. It's great advice. With time you'll be able to sort out whether it's actually your spidey safety sense or the newness. Doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution as long as it doesn't stop you from doing what you want to do. :)

K. That was it. Can't wait to hear about more of your adventures. :)

Yogi, I'm jelly. Sounds like you've been enjoying some incredible beauty. Love hearing about it. :)

Thanks to all for your helpful thoughts.  I am thinking this remote site stuff is not for me.  Not only scary but hard on my van.  I took it into a garage today because of all the new rattles, squeaks and a click, click, click, click from what seemed the engine compartment.

The mechanic got under the van...said my U joint was good, someone put new shocks on (not me..yay), he was twisting my tires while in the air and whatever else he did.  He said everything looks good, nothing loose or damaged.  He said the rough forest roads do a number on vehicles and since it is old, just loosened some more stuff.  And the roads were probably the reason my tires went kaput.  As far as the clicking sound, it mysteriously disappeared when he drove it and I sat next to him.  I told him someone told me it could have just been mud.  And he said it probably was, and said something about how the mud gets between the brake and something, I think.  And it makes that clicking sound until it just gets thrown out of there at some point.

And my ground clearance is about 8 inches, but he said there is a safety shield under there, and now only giving me 6 inches of clearance.  And that includes with my propane tank under there.  So goodbye rough roads.  

rvpopeye..... I guess I described the sound wrong.  It wasn't a bump.  More like a tap or a ping.  A harder sound.  But no matter, I will never know.  Thanks, though.

highdesertranger.....LT load range E tires....okay.  I will see what I got.  I had no idea.  Learn something valuable every day.  Thank you.

anewbiewannabe.......Thanks for the encouragement and helpful information.  Especially "spidey" safety sense.

DannieB1954.... lots of votes for critters here.  Remind me not to open my door again at night when I hear something.  :s

Yogidog..... so nice talking with you.  Thanks for all your helpful info and encouragement.  Hope to see you soon!

Every Road Leads Home... yes, staying in my comfort zone is the only thing that can work for me.  And I am looking forward to Quartzsite and seeing the tribe.  Thanks.

gnarledwolf....you folks are tough!  And I agree a life of parking in car lots is limiting and I am looking for traveling buddies who aren't going to go a mile or more off the pavement over rocks, etc., in some lonely dark area.   Yikes, I think I am looking in the wrong place!  I need the old folks forum.

GotSmart....more critters and now it's big bugs.  Nice.  Thanks!

You'll get the hang of what roads somewhat off the beaten track are okay for your vehicle. Take what time you need to adapt and learn---it's new skills. Depending on how things fall out/fall apart, I hope to be out there in late 2017 if at all possible. 2018 at the latest. I don't plan on going waaay out so I'll probably be staying in the same kinds of areas as you so will hope to meet up out there.

There's a lady that pulls a casita who has a really neat blog who's been mentioned here before---rvsue. If you do an internet search for rvsueandhercaninecrew her blog should come up. She does use campgrounds more frequently than most in here but she also does some light boondocking. I think you might enjoy her blog and get some inspiration and ideas from it.

Happy trails!

anewbiewannabe said:
You'll get the hang of what roads somewhat off the beaten track are okay for your vehicle. Take what time you need to adapt and learn---it's new skills. Depending on how things fall out/fall apart, I hope to be out there in late 2017 if at all possible. 2018 at the latest.  I don't plan on going waaay out so I'll probably be staying in the same kinds of areas as you so will hope to meet up out there.  

There's a lady that pulls a casita who has a really neat blog who's been mentioned here before---rvsue. If you do an internet search for rvsueandhercaninecrew her blog should come up.  She does use campgrounds more frequently than most in here but she also does some light boondocking.  I think you might enjoy her blog and get some inspiration and ideas from it.

Happy trails!

http://www.interstellarorchard.com/

I had the acorns in NE PA SF. A lot of bang for the nut. Learned to check what trees are near the van.

Just was hit by a severe thunderstorm with hail on the Gunflint Trail in the Minnesota Arrowhead. A lot of noise.

Now at a Wal-Mart in Cloquet.

This was a good thread for me to read. Staying in my comfort zone when I start out will be important.

pamerica said:
Anyway, since it is getting colder here around Flagstaff, some of the group went lower elevation about 50 miles away where it is 10 degrees warmer.  I followed.
Oh, what a simply stunningly beautiful place.  Like a movie set and so convenient.  A public free park with lake swimming, fishing, each site had nice picnic table and trash can.  Real restrooms with flush toilets, free dumpster..the works.  And at night....the stars !  I had been hoping for years to see something like that night sky.

Sounds wonderful.   Would you mind telling me where this place is?   Near Prescott?

Tussah said:
Sounds wonderful.   Would you mind telling me where this place is?   Near Prescott?

I think it is outside of Cottonwood. Thousand Trails Road. I know the area, but have not been there in years.

pamerica said:
  As far as the clicking sound, it mysteriously disappeared when he drove it and I sat next to him.  

Ha, this is the best way to temporarily fix a vehicle.  Have the mechanic test drive with you in it so he can hear what's going on and the issue will disappear every time!

Only problem is it returns 25 miles down the road when they are long out of sight or after they close for the weekend, whichever comes first.

And pat yourself on the back and give credit where credit is due. There's no chicken in actually leaving the comforts of home and hitting the open road. Whatever you have to do to stay comfortable while you're out there are just details. You left chicken at your doorstep when you embarked on this adventure on Day 1 as a solo traveler having no idea where you were going or who you were meeting. That's real life guts and determination and something to seriously be very proud of.

This reply is aimed at newcomers, im not singling you out Pam. Until the end.

Okay, it's nice to talk about staying in a comfort zone but if you do that, you will never step out and enjoy new adventures. Its not always fun or easy out here, or anywhere else.

I'm 62 years old, I have  laughable social security and I started out being scared and I still am frequently. I have met women older than me that have been doing this for a decade or more. 
 All of these things to worry about, well most times they don't happen and there's not someone waiting for an opportunity to get you. I am not discounting the fears of newcomers. They are real fears, my fears are real. Take time to consider the women who have been doing this since before it was cool to do. They have lived to tell their tales.

Many of us have taken the first steps,  do you realize how strong you are? Do you have any idea how few women or men will take that first step? Many want to do it but won't because its a hard thing to do. Every experience makes you stronger, even a bad experience. Push your comfort zone and control it.  

There are so many of us here that love to help others. It makes us feel good so never feel bad about asking for help.

I will say, if you have tried but couldn't do this, and you stop full timing,you have accomplished more than most people ever will.

Pam, you my friend may not think it, but I think you are very brave and definitely not a chicken. 

Diane