New van dweller here!! ??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adepastino

Reaction score
Hi there! My name is Amanda. I have FINALLY had enough time to myself to sit down and register here!? I'm really excited to be apart of this awesome community and to have opportunities to meet with other van dwellers!! 

Here's our story. 

Of all 6 members of our family (4 in the household right now), my 17 year old son, Stephen, and I are the only adventurous ones. My husband knows the ache I have in the pit of my stomach caused by the need to camp and travel, but he doesn't care for it. So, he has agreed to allow Stephen and I to make a go of it, and become mini van/tent dwellers!!! ? I can't tell you how excited we both are to have this chance. Money is tight right now, as we are planning a trip to TX to see our oldest daughter, her husband and 2 boys during Spring Break, March 2017. So money is being poured into our savings for that trip. Thankfully, we live in Phoenix, and until then, we won't have a problem getting to the Prescott National Forest, or Coconino NF, or a couple hours South of here during the winter. In fact, we plan on being a part of the RTR in Jan. 2017! It's gonna be great to meet so many that are experienced in this! I'm so excited I can't wait!!!LOL.

We have started converting our 2005 Mercury Monterey Minivan into a small camper, that we will be taking it on its maiden voyage the second week of October into the Coconino NF, (as well as hubby). We will be dry camping, with our 3 room 12 person tent, van, gazebo roof,  and shower tent that will hold the solar shower bags and our porta potty, making it a full wet bath. Hubby and I will sleep in the tent in a wood frame and top mattress, and Stephen will sleep in the van on his new cot with mattress and sleeping bag/blankets. We are gathering other ideas for cooking and keeping everything clean as not to invite any wild animals into our campsite. We'll stay for about 4 days and then head down to Mesa and camp (pay camp site) with some friends of ours. This is the only paid camping I intend to do. The rest of the time, it will be boondocking. 

Because I'm married and we rent a home, Stephen and I will only we part time campers. Hubby and I have purchased land in Concho (with cash) and will be retiring there and will leave the land to our son when we pass. Our plan is to put a yurt on the land to live in and maybe travel in a larger van at that time, or perhaps a tiny trailer. We don't know, but the sky is the limit!!

Thank you so much, Bob, for all of your great advice, and all the interviews you do. They are so inspiring, and maybe you will like our set up so much in January, that we can help inspire others too. 

Amanda DePastino
Phoenix, AZ

You are going to have a great time!!! What kind of tent do you have? I have picked one out but haven't purchased yet, so am still in "look at options" mode.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

And of course, pics of your conversion to camping mode of the Monterey will be most appreciated. As you've probably already found out here, the forum members live and/or travel in a really wide variety of vehicles.

Hi, Amanda,
I can "read" your excitement in your introduction. And what you plan is a great way to learn what you like and what you don't; what you need vs what you want, etc.

Maybe some other family members will be converted over time if they see big smiles on your camper faces?

Welcome!

LadyJo said:
You are going to have a great time!!! What kind of tent do you have? I have picked one out but haven't purchased yet, so am still in "look at options" mode.

Hi Lady Jo! We have an Ozark Trail 3 room, 12 person tent. It will be used for leaping in certain cases, but other times, we will be in the van. The tent will always go because it will get used every time. Thought of putting our kitchenette in one side and a sitting area on the other. It will be a great addition no matter where we go. Walmart has some great new 12-14 person tents right now, but they are around $250 ea. That's not bad for the type of tents they are though. Totally worth it. Thanks for the replying! Will you be at the RTR in Jan?

Welcome! :) It's great that you get to indulge your adventurer side with full support. Sounds like you all have some awesome plans.

Welcome to our world Amanda !
Hope you find much fun and adventures......

Nomadventurer said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

And of course, pics of your conversion to camping mode of the Monterey will be most appreciated. As you've probably already found out here, the forum members live and/or travel in a really wide variety of vehicles.
Yes, hi! As we are making changes, I am taking pictures to put together an online scrapbook of our conversion journey. We won't convert the van permanently as we will need it as a van as well, so everything will need to be removable at times. As I get more pics, and I learn how to share pics here, then I will be glad to show it off. ?

WriterMs said:
Hi, Amanda,
I can "read" your excitement in your introduction. And what you plan is a great way to learn what you like and what you don't; what you need vs what you want, etc.

Maybe some other family members will be converted over time if they see big smiles on your camper faces?

Welcome!

Hello, WriterMs. Thank you for the support! I AM very excited. My son and I even just go over and sit in the back of the empty van at Walmart, and talk about our plans, experiencing stuff before we actually do it. LOL. I think we're ready to jump in with both feet! ? And I hope family members will see the joy these experiences will give us. We will be recording ALL of our adventures to share with them. ?