Can you charge your batteries via electric-vehicle (EV) car charging stations?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kllcbosmetris

Reaction score
In my van conversion, I would like to ultimately build an electrical/battery set up that features an external charging port (power outlet) where I can charge the van batteries using 'shore power' (not sure if that is the correct term). While I understand the plugs & outlets (RV camp vs. EV charge stations) do not look the same, is it possible to use an adapter somehow and plug your van into a public charge station?

Attachments

• DSCN3900-220Socket.jpg
    DSCN3900-220Socket.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 9
  • NEMA_TT-30.png
    NEMA_TT-30.png
    433.2 KB · Views: 8
  • semaconnect-chargers.jpg
    semaconnect-chargers.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 7
You can't even charge all cars from the same stations.

The target BMS needs to electronically "handshake" with the charger using a protocol in common, exchanges information about voltage and charge rates, etc.

Maybe there are homemade "black boxes" like in the old phone phreaking days.

Ask in the DIY Electric Vehicle conversion forums.

around here parking a non-electric vehicle in one of those charging station is the same as a non-handicap vehicle parking in a handicap parking spot. big ticket. BTW EV's have a special sticker so it's real easy to spot. I would imagine that using it for anything other then charging an EV would be the same as stealing the power because the charging stations are free for EV's. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
around here parking a non-electric vehicle in one of those charging station is the same as a non-handicap vehicle parking in a handicap parking spot.  big ticket.  BTW EV's have a special sticker so it's real easy to spot.  I would imagine that using it for anything other then charging an EV would be the same as stealing the power because the charging stations are free for EV's.  highdesertranger

That is an interesting point. I've seen these EV charging stations primarily in private garages (i.e.universities, covered parking lots, etc.) so I never thought there could be a ticket unless you charge a EV-manufactured vehicle. [In my experience, these stations are seldom used so I figured nobody would care, as long as you are technically plugged in and not just parking at the EV spot]. I figured as long as the minivan is plugged in somehow, people (or parking enforcement) would see it as an EV use. At the end of the day, you are charging the car right? Besides, do everyone know all the EV model these days, with all the new hybrids? Not sure. I read an article where Tesla owners were trying to see if they could charge up at the RV camps and that gave me the idea (re: reverse adapter). Perfect stealth too. "What are you doing here overnight?" "I am charging the car!" Voila.

No, you'd be stealing. That's why I compared to phreaking.

But yes in some areas not heavily used you'd probably get away with it.

Most of the time.

OT but in case you missed, past posts discussed a truck camper or RV towing a Prius, not just for running errands or commuting to work from boondocks camp, but becomes a very powerful battery bank with a built in very efficient and quiet generator. Complete with A/C and heat!

The price worked out cheaper than putting that big a system together from components, so the car-transportation side was really just a free bonus!

the tesla stations are definite no. they're proprietary plugs and have all that jazz with comm. Im sure if you found a 30/50 amp standard outlet you could.

From what I can understand, virtually all of the public charging stations are 240 V. The vehicles come equipped for regular 120 charging at home.

You do NOT want to plug in your 120V battery charger to this.

The two pics you showed - first one is 120V 50 Amp and the second is 120V 30 amp. Both are commonly used in campgrounds and there are adapters to hook up your RV to each if your RV is equipped differently.

I carry a 30 to 15 Amp adapter since the van is wired for regular household outlet use and I occasionally come across a campground that doesn't have 15 amp outlets at the post or they are there but not working.

John61CT said:
No,  you'd be stealing. That's why I compared to phreaking.

The ones I was thinking of were the ones I've seen at the university parking lot when I worked there or a company covered parking structure when I worked there. So, a ticket (or something more criminal) never crossed my mind. For the free/public EV stations (sponsored by certain EV companies), you may have a case of course. But again, there are paid EV stations where you put your credit card for the charge-electricity you are using. I am not sure if those stations are EV only. 

Either case, I was just curious if you could use an adapter and use the charge stations somehow - at least for an emergency where you are almost out and you need to power a medical equipment (i.e. CPAP) or something. And if your company (or a place you are affiliated with) has a charging station, that'd be also much better and convenient than parking the van under the sun for 8 hours (re: solar charge).

John61CT said:
OT but in case you missed,  past posts discussed a truck camper or RV towing a Prius,  not just for running errands or commuting to work from boondocks camp, but becomes a very powerful battery bank with a built in very efficient and quiet generator.  Complete with A/C and heat!

The price worked out cheaper than putting that big a system together from components,  so the car-transportation side was really just a free bonus!

Oh. That explains why I keep seeing so many Prius campers. If you can run A/C and heat without being out of the battery, why not.  Toyota basically already done the work for you. 

That makes me think: 

Can you use a hybrid minivan (i.e. Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid) for a van camper? No need to do solar. No need to install Webasto heater to keep warm. No need to worry about Fantastic fan or cutting various areas if you have a running A/C (when car is not in use).

Almost There said:
From what I can understand, virtually all of the public charging stations are 240 V. The vehicles come equipped for regular 120 charging at home.

Do you think you can design a system that can be compatible with a 240v (and also 120v) and can be charged at an EV station? If you are starting from scratch and building a battery setup for a van conversion?

Not sure why anyone would want to go to that much trouble just for the sake of occasionally using either free or paid per use charging stations that were installed for the specific use by owners of electric cars.

You asked if 'I' could...hell no, not me! It was my Dad that was the electronics design engineer, I just tagged along.... :D

I suppose it *could* be done but getting ones' hands on proprietary plug connectors and then stepping down the power from 240 to 120 and then adapting and carrying heavy power cords so that the wire doesn't compromise the charging time, just doesn't sound all that practical.

And that's saying nothing about the legalities of it or the wrath incurred from electric car owners when you take up one of their parking spots with a vehicle not equipped, labelled, priced and sold as an electric vehicle.

Latest posts