Power Station or can I use JUST a battery booster?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sting

Reaction score
For charging my electronics (phone, laptop, camera, drone - 20 Wh of stuff) I was going to buy a small CTECH Powerstation - 240 Wh. I rarely sit for more than a day so would only need a couple days juice out of this battery before I'd be driving and able to recharge via the car battery - so it's got plenty of power.

BUT my friend said why don't I just get one of those emergency battery boosters because they have USB ports that could charge my electronics - plus provide the benefit of emergency battery boost, which is pretty attractive for camping off the grid - SO for the same price as the powerstaion I can get a Noco GBX55 which has 46Wh, much less than the powerstation, but enough for a couple days charging which is all I need AND it offers the ability to emergency battery boost.

I'm unsure of the wisdom of using an emergency booster as a "daily" charger for electronics, but it's just a battery so why not? Does anyone do this?

Or am I missing something and should really have a dedicated powerstation for the electronics AND a separate emergency booster IF I want one for that.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I would probably go with the powerstation. 240wh/12.6v = 19 ah battery, the small jumpstarter 46wh/12.6v = 3.65 ah battery. I know I can power my 12 inch I5 laptop about 3 hours a day for about 5 days on a 31 ah battery. A 19ah battery should at least last you 2 days.

The jumpstarter would be good to charge cellphones/tablets, the newer versions of the jumpstarters can be charged/discharged 100's of times. You can find cheaper jumpstarters with similar specs as the noco, the hulkman is comparable at 1/2 the price and it can be fast charge in 1 hour.
I would definitely keep a separate jumpstarter just in case, I actually have 2 of them a gooloo gp2000 and tacklife t8max and I bought a hulkman alpha85 to give to a friend and she likes it , but the hulkman is a huge compared to the thinner gooloo/tacklife, they are all capable of cranking over v8 engines.