Can I REALLY go full-time in an Astro/Safari?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey

Reaction score
It's a rhetorical question because I've seen the evidence online and Bob's channel of people doing it. But can I? I know it's doable. I'm just torn between the Astro/Safari vans and the next step up in size that I imagine is the Econoline / Express / Savana vans. 

Is the Astro/Safari much different in size?

I've seen couples going full-time in these. It's only me and my dog. I'm a short dude as well, 5'4". So, I'm sure sleeping across in an Astro won't be a problem. 
For my life on the road as a guitar teacher online I'll need to bring and electric and an acoustic. These could go in their cases under the bed. I'd need a little office where I can have my monitor and be able to give lessons.

I'm excited!

I get torn between the van sizes. Especially when a great condition Safari just popped up. A 2002 in Canada with no rust is special. Only 98,000 miles. It's a white cargo style with windows on the back doors, none on the sides.

I totally know it would be possible, but will I be happier with more space for me and my Springer Spaniel Blue? Will he be happier in something a little bigger?

I feel so close to being able to afford my van. I need to list my car for sale. Then I'll have the money when it goes so I'm hoping by end of July I'll have a van. By that time that Safari will likely be sold. It's in great condition.

I also wonder if I'd actually be happier in an Astro size? Due it's maneuverability. Especially if I had a lift kit put on it for ground clearance in the backcountry. 

Has anyone downsized to an Astro/Safari from something bigger and what were your reasons and has it worked out better?

Thanks for reading. I'm grateful to have somewhere to post about this.

Mickey

I think everyone is a bit happier with more space but there are many doing just fine in a small van. The fact that you question it may be the answer. If you are worried about it then go bigger.

Of course your pup would be happier with more space.

I’m not in a van but most that make that decision wish for a high top so they can stand up.

I part-timed for many years in a GMC safari, sometimes 30 days at a time. I bought a Safari because I thought it was a minivan and I would get better gas mileage. I hated bending over in the thing and found out later that I could actually get a larger size or “standard size” vanthat got the same gas mileage as the Safari. Extra space without paying a lot Extra for the use of makes sense to me. If I had it to do over again I’d go for the bigger van. Much much more room. Even without a high top. In my humble opinion, and I am the worlds best expert on my own opinion.

you said this 3 days ago: around $7,000CAD. Mostly interested in a Chevy Express cargo van type.

ARE THEY the same cause if way smaller you are already just 'buying anything that comes your way' thru excitement and you BEST put your true and real needs first.

like Camm said, more space is a great thing all the time :)

you 'drive only so much' and then you are out of that seat..........living your every day full life in the rest of that vehicle...........what really takes importance!!! Your daily life trumps driving or manuevering a few less feet into somewhere but this is a very personal thing.

what do you want and do not 'concede' on what you can get for your dollar vs. excitement to buy.

your life WILL BE THIS vehicle........put those personal priorities to the limit on what you need and do not give in too much for anything......you know truly the 'least' for your daily comfort, and believe me the smaller ya go, it ain't all great....sometimes we must have room literally 'to live as we require' so.....

just some thoughts for you :)

Cammalu said:
I think everyone is a bit happier with more space but there are many doing just fine in a small van. The fact that you question it may be the answer. If you are worried about it then go bigger.

Of course your pup would be happier with more space.

I’m not in a van but most that make that decision wish for a high top so they can stand up.

Thank you for pointing out if I need to question it. And for my pup. This really helps me lean more towards bigger!

nature lover said:
I part-timed for many years in a GMC safari, sometimes 30 days at a time. I bought a Safari because I thought it was a minivan and I would get better gas mileage. I hated bending over in the thing and found out later that I could actually get a larger size or “standard size” vanthat got the same gas mileage as the Safari. Extra space without paying a lot Extra for the use of makes sense to me. If I had it to do over again I’d go for the bigger van. Much much more room. Even without a high top. In my humble opinion, and I am the worlds best expert on my own opinion.

Much appreciated! Thank you for sharing your experience with this. I don't want to live to regret it and the van be a means to an end!!

RoamerRV428 said:
you said this 3 days ago:  around $7,000CAD. Mostly interested in a Chevy Express cargo van type.

ARE THEY the same cause if way smaller you are already just 'buying anything that comes your way' thru excitement and you BEST put your true and real needs first.

like Camm said,  more space is a great thing all the time :)

you 'drive only so much' and then you are out of that seat..........living your every day full life in the rest of that vehicle...........what really takes importance!!!    Your daily life trumps driving or manuevering a few less feet into somewhere but this is a very personal thing.

what do you want and do not 'concede' on what you can get for your dollar vs. excitement to buy.

your life WILL BE THIS vehicle........put those personal priorities to the limit on what you need and do not give in too much for anything......you know truly the 'least' for your daily comfort, and believe me the smaller ya go, it ain't all great....sometimes we must have room literally 'to live as we require' so.....

just some thoughts for you :)

Excellent thank you! The Safari is $5800CAD. And you're right about excitement. I must be careful not to act out of it. I'm so glad I made this post because I am definitely now leaning towards the standard size vans. I go around in circles looking at both saying to myself "I know I'll be happier in a bigger van... but .... but the safari.. " lol. I'll wait till I have the cash and believe the right van will show at the right time. very grateful for your input!

Another thing to consider is the Astro van only comes with a V-6. Although a good engine I wouldn't want one. Highdesertranger

nature lover said:

I bought a 2003 Astro AWD van last year for the icy roads in the PNW.

I get 13 mpg combined and 12 mpg city.   That is essentially why the Astro ceased production.  Why buy the small van when the larger van can get equal or better mileage?

Admittedly my GVW is 5,600 pounds, so that will affect milege.   I do like the power that the 4.3 Vortec engine produces.

The flat top Express has about 6" more headroom than the Astro.  That's enough room to stash a guitar on the ceiling (not saying you should, but...) or under a raised bed.

I've known three people who part timed full-timed (if that makes sense) in Astros.  One exclaimed "It's like a mansion" when seeing my Express for the first time.  I pointed out that I was not living in mine, so less stuff.

Whatever you decide, it will be fine, 'ya know?

VanFan said:

I switched from a high top Dodge with long wheelbase to a Grumman Olson 16' step van with a 7 foot ceiling to have more room.   The Dodge is too small for me to full time in.   The step van is just enough room, so no, whatever you decide is not fine unless you decide correctly.

My Astro is a trade van for work only, not to live in.

I've spent eight years in a Chevy Express. It currently has 315K miles on the clock and it's running fine, but I know the end is getting closer each time I drive. So I've been thinking about my future options, one of which is an Astro. Two concerns with the Astro: 1) Nearly all of them are high mileage now, so I'd soon end up in the same situation, considering replacements. 2) Vertical room. I don't need to stand, but I want to be able to sit on a 5-gallon bucket or the side of the bed without hunching over.

Part of me says, "You could probably be just fine in an Astro," But another part of me says, "You KNOW you would be just fine in an Express."

On the other hand, doing the transfer case swap on an AWD Astro to make it actual 4x4 is tempting—even though I've been fine all these years with 1-wheel-drive.

VanFan said:
The flat top Express has about 6" more headroom than the Astro.  That's enough room to stash a guitar on the ceiling (not saying you should, but...) or under a raised bed.

I've known three people who part timed full-timed (if that makes sense) in Astros.  One exclaimed "It's like a mansion" when seeing my Express for the first time.  I pointed out that I was not living in mine, so less stuff.

Thank you so much for the feedback. Definitely going to go bigger now!

MrNoodly said:
I've spent eight years in a Chevy Express. It currently has 315K miles on the clock and it's running fine, but I know the end is getting closer each time I drive. So I've been thinking about my future options, one of which is an Astro. Two concerns with the Astro: 1) Nearly all of them are high mileage now, so I'd soon end up in the same situation, considering replacements. 2) Vertical room. I don't need to stand, but I want to be able to sit on a 5-gallon bucket or the side of the bed without hunching over.

Part of me says, "You could probably be just fine in an Astro," But another part of me says, "You KNOW you would be just fine in an Express."

On the other hand, doing the transfer case swap on an AWD Astro to make it actual 4x4 is tempting—even though I've been fine all these years with 1-wheel-drive.

Wow it's amazing to know that these will go that many miles. 8 years (and counting) is a great run. I definitely don't want something for the short term only. 
I really appreciate the firsthand experience feedback. Lots of food for thought here. I will definitely be going bigger. Right now I'm selling up to see what I can afford and would ideally have my van by the end of July. It's a strange feeling having given my notice without a van and most of my stuff not sold. But I had to burn the ships to fully commit to get this going. 
Glad I made this post, thank you!

66788 said:
I switched from a high top Dodge with long wheelbase to a Grumman Olson 16' step van with a 7 foot ceiling to have more room.   The Dodge is too small for me to full time in.   The step van is just enough room, so no, whatever you decide is not fine unless you decide correctly.

My Astro is a trade van for work only, not to live in.

Great advice. I will do my best to decide correctly from the get go, but I will live and learn. This new way of being is coming!

Your new way of being is gonna be a fun adventure.
Once you get your vehicle you want....then you get to personally trick it out to fit everything you want on the road and personal needs, it is fun 'building' your life ya know :) you got good times ahead!!

you can be that very elaborate type that loves to 'finish it all off' as they want or you can be that minimalist type that doesn't want alot of stuff and just what ya need or any way ya wanna roll :)

Take a bunch of card board boxes and build you a box the size of the interior sizes of the vans which are in the van forum. Maybe just laying out the floor plan will be enough to show you what you need use some boxes for the wheel wells maybe a couch for the bed etc. even stack boxes to the roof height. It won't take long for you to figure it out as it either works or it doesn't. You are not other people and what works for them may not work for you, better to find out before making purchases. Once you choose go rent one for a weekend and try it before buying one.

I am 5'11, Not a small guy, and ifg I can every get my van up to par.. I will be doing it full time.. and I will be mostly happy with the space I have.. would I like a little more space sure.. But right now, I want to get out there, work, save money, and maybe in a year or two go a little bigger.

The short answer imho is Yes. It does depend on what you need or can’t let go of. If you intend to continue to be a double bass musician, you will have to be prepared to loose a large part of already limited space to accommodate your instrument. Maybe your van needs to remove the passenger seat or some kind of special made rack has to be attached on the outside of your rear doors,I think the biggest challenge is setting up your van so you are comfortable, able to prepare meals, stay warm or cool, be able to entertain yourself when sitting idle, tv, music, PlayStation, books, computer, instruments, whatever you enjoy. A way of maintaining personal hygiene, comfortable bedding, and an organized system that makes all this possible, while you and all your stuff is inside your van without shifting a ton of things to accomplish it. So yes it is easily possible.

It was a bit confusing but I looked up the cubic inches the largest Astro (Longest wheelbase)made has 170 cubic feet of cargo space and I believe that’s an extended version where the Safari (regular model not the extended) Savannah has 240 ft.² that’s a difference of 70 ft cubic feet (at least) that’s a lot of space. And as I and others mentioned earlier for the same gas mileage, the same insurance price, car we’re basically the same and savannah has a better maintenance record. In the multitude of counselors there is safety, but you still got to make your own decision and live with it. Good luck.