Can a solar cable gland be mounted with the wires facing forward?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vannautical engineer

Reaction score
I'm about to start mounting solar onto my roof. I got one of these solar cable glands to make a nice neat passthrough in the roof. However, the way things are working out, it would work much better if I could mount it with the wire side facing forward. I know that generally this is designed to be aerodynamic and have the wires facing backwards, but is there any big problem with flipping it around so the wires face forwards? This would work much better for me, just because of how the cable routing on the roof is going to work out.

51qQl5nwz6L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Attachments

• 51qQl5nwz6L._AC_SX425_.jpg
    51qQl5nwz6L._AC_SX425_.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 3
I wouldn't worry about aerodynamics. After all you have solar panels on the roof. My main concern would be rain hitting the seal at highway speeds. If done right it probably won't be a problem.

Guy

Vannautical engineer said:
...However, the way things are working out, it would work much better if I could mount it with the wire side facing forward.

How about sideways?

The windshield pushes oncoming air at least a few inches above the roof, so something as low as that glad will have next to zero aerodynamic affect.

60 mph wind pushing a down pour into the seal. What could go wrong? LOL Highdesertranger

I would use some good marine or RV sealant to keep the water out when driving in a heavy rainstorm....well...unless you want to drive backwards in the rain...that might work...and save that tube of sealant for something else!

:cool:

MrNoodly said:
How about sideways?

The windshield pushes oncoming air at least a few inches above the roof, so something as low as that glad will have next to zero aerodynamic affect.

Good idea, but unfortunately I can't do sideways. The corrugations on the roof cover all the usable space, and if I put the gland sideways, it would hang over the edge of one of the corrugations.

I guess by "aerodynamics" I was more worried about wind noise rather than actual drag on the vehicle.

Soooo... If the windshield pushes air up over top of the roof and therefore the gland, it wouldn't force water into it during a rain, would it?  :s

I got mine facing forward on my roof. Its right under the solar panel so I never worry about the rain. But theres no reason why you couldn't put sealant on the area where the wires come out for extra protection. Once installed you will probably never deal with it, I had mine on the roof for 8 years and never even look at it.
On mine I added one bolt right on the top (drilled a hole on it), the attaching nut is inside the van. I didn't think gluing or sealant was going to hold it on there permanently. With the bolt I never have to worry about it coming loose. I worry more about that then the rain.

Well, being that I mounted mine backwards by over-site, I'd say yes, yes you can. It doesn't leak (yet) but the rear panel shields it somewhat when I'm moving.

BTW. I used 8 AWG solar extension wire from the panels to the controller. It doesn't do sharp bends well so that's why I ended up putting the gland on backwards. At the time I didn't know where the solar controller was going to be mounted inside so I used 20ft 8AWG extensions so I wouldn't experience voltage drop. I wasn't thinking ahead when I mounted the panels

Anything you can do to lessen the wind/water pressure on that junction would be prudent. Sealant would help, plus an actual barrier, even better. Heck, just jamming a rag in there, after the sealant, might do it.