Can a 400w Inverter Power a Jigsaw?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
I have to cut a hole in my roof for a vent fan and I'm trying to avoid buying a cordless jigsaw. I have a cheap model Black and Decker corded that I'm hoping to use instead. 

I have 2 golf cart 6 volts for a total of 225 ah useable. 150w solar panel.  We are getting good sun now so hopefully my 400w inverter would be okay to power the jigsaw?

Or perhaps i could plug the inverter into the cig lighter socket and keep the van running while I do the work with the jigsaw.

Thoughts?

I used the cheap jigsaw with the Harbor Freight 400/800 inverter and it worked fine.  I used the same inverter to drill starting holes.

The cig socket is good for about 100 watts continuous, best case scenario. The Jigsaw will be near 400 watts

How many amps does the Jigsaw saw is draws? volts x amps = watts

Basically if it lists 3.5 amps or more it is unlikely to work on a 400 watt inverter, unless it has a variable speed trigger and you keep it below max speed.

Inverters, and anything drawing more than 60 watts should avoid ciggy plugs and receptacles, even if they are brand spanking new and wired thickly from fuse block.

Ciggy plugs are the single worst ubiquitous electrical connection ever foisted on the public. They insult 12vDC and anything within a mile of it.

I have uses a 12 amp variable speed sander/grinder polisher on a 400 watt inverter, at much reduced spped, and that inverter did not last long doing so

Thanks Sternwake. I think it's 5 amps but the speed is controllable.

Ok just startit slow, and keep off max throttle/speed and you should be good as long as you do not bind the blade.

If the 400 watt inverter balks, make sure it is wired as close as possible to battery terminals, and skip the Ciggy plug/receptacle.

Its better to use the alligator clips and connect the inverter to the battery while the engine is running. The cigarette plug can only handle 15 amps (15 amps x 12 volts = 180 watts.) and even then it will get really hot, will melt the cheap plugs. But with 225 ah of battery, you shouldnt need to run the engine. One important thing, make sure you have thick short cables on the inverter to connect to the battery, on the cheap inverters, the cables included might not be able to give you the 400 watts the inverter is rated for.  

Worst case scenario and your inverter won't run it, instead of buying a 100 dollar inverter go to harbor freight and buy this jigsaw for 30 dollars, comes with the battery/charger. They are cheap but mine has lasted me for 3 years. Just dont leave the battery connected for more than 3 hours. It might be more cost effective especially if you don't plan on using the inverter for larger items. Large inverters can be quite expensive and large, especially the high quality ones.
cordless jigsaw.jpg

Attachments

• cordless jigsaw.jpg
    cordless jigsaw.jpg
    22.1 KB
Yeah I don't intend to use the inverter for heavy draw items usually. However, I'm in Vancouver Canada so no Harbour Frieght.

I think it might be better to run the inverter directly from the running engine battery. Otherwise I'd have to connect the inverter to my fuse panel which is connected to my charge controller 》deep cycles with either 10 or 12 gage wire.

One Awesome Inch said:
I have to cut a hole in my roof for a vent fan and I'm trying to avoid buying a cordless jigsaw. I have a cheap model Black and Decker corded that I'm hoping to use instead. 

I have 2 golf cart 6 volts for a total of 225 ah useable. 150w solar panel.  We are getting good sun now so hopefully my 400w inverter would be okay to power the jigsaw?

Or perhaps i could plug the inverter into the cig lighter socket and keep the van running while I do the work with the jigsaw.

Thoughts?
 It will work fine just make shore your using the right jig saw blade for metal cutting .  Sand the roof after cutting and paint the bare metal so it will not oxadiys or rust .

It will work fine just make shore your using the right jig saw blade for metal cutting . Sand the roof after cutting and paint . The bare metal so it will not oxadiez or rust .

Heard Harbor Frieght will be selling 20 volt lithium products now.

One Awesome Inch said:

Thoughts?

Dunno.  My jigsaw works fine with my 600watt inverter any speed.  I suspect you'd be okay. One way to find out!

-T

Is the inverter Pure Sine Wave or Modified Square Wave? Most motors do not like MSW and chatter. Quick check is ti plug a room fan into the inverter. If it runs smoothly, a test of the jig saw will not hurt it.

I just looked at my jig saw.  Looking in through the rearmost vent I can see the commutator of the motor.  It is a universal AC / DC motor.  It says on the label AC only but undoubtedly that is because the two speed control would only go high speed on DC.  That motor will run on sine waves or DC or square waves or modified square waves.  My modified square wave inverter worked fine cutting the roof hole.  I used the battery clips to connect the inverter right to the battery and ran a 16 AWG (cheap) extension cord to the saw.  I did not have solar, I did not run the engine.  At that point I had upgraded the starter battery to the biggest deep cycle 12 volt battery that would fit in the original location group size 24.

A fan is a shaded pole induction motor.  It is likely to buzz with square waves.

I'm thinking it's best to run the motor otherwise I'll kill my vans engine battery.