Keep it Separate?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see you have yourself talked into doing it this way. Yet, still room for that inevitable human error time. I do not recommend doing it the way you want but it is your rig to do with as you please.

x2

it always blows me away when some comes here and says the are looking for advice when all they are really looking for is an approval of the dangerous mod/build.

highdesertranger

Weight said:
To address the inverter to shore power charger. ->Don't.<- To accomplish your idea, you could use a battery combiner or battery to battery charger. Rod talks about marine, but we are just land schooners.  Here. read through some of his advice about charging.  https://marinehowto.com  here is some specific;  https://marinehowto.com/automatic-charging-relays/
You misunderstand. I am not trying to 'accomplish' charging the existing house batteries from the solar batteries.

maybe go over again what exactly you are trying to do. as you totally lost me with that inept and dangerous youtube vid. highdesertranger

dixonge said:
You misunderstand. I am not trying to 'accomplish' charging the existing house batteries from the solar batteries.
Well according to your hand drawn plan you are. You are taking an o/p from your solar battery and running to the shore i/p. That is hooked to a charger going to your house battery. Don't get me wrong that is a feasible way to do it but I don't understand why when there are easier ways. 

I decided to not respond any more because I cannot for the life of me understand why you want 2 battery banks. I figured that you had your reasons. 
Unless there is a piece of this puzzle I am missing you only need 1 battery bank and the transfer switch should be switching between the 2 systems i.e. inverter / battery and shore / gen.

You have lost me. :huh:

highdesertranger said:
maybe go over again what exactly you are trying to do.  as you totally lost me with that inept and dangerous youtube vid.  highdesertranger
Yep. That YT vid was all around the houses to get something simple done. The only thing I could think of was he was building a solar generator. But was it in a wheelbarrow? Hardly useful in a mobile sense. Then for some reason he is back feeding into the system via the pop up dis block. Not impossible but a bit odd.

RvDreams said:
I see you have yourself talked into doing it this way.  Yet, still room for that inevitable human error time.  I do not recommend doing it the way you want but it is your rig to do with as you please.
That's very interesting, considering that I was not, nor am I, trying to 'talk myself into' anything. I have solicited and received feedback. I am increasing my knowledge. My main initial question was regarding keeping the existing batteries vs replacing them, but diverged to inverter connections. 

I'm strongly leaning to connecting an extension cable to the inverter, running the cable through the frame to the shore power cable compartment, and terminating there into a 30amp outlet. Then turn the battery disconnect to the 'off' position and turn off the converter breaker circuit (and maybe just leave it off) and then turn on the inverter. Multiple threads on multiple other RV forums have discussed this scenario. Many do this type of wiring, especially DIY types. It seems reasonable to me.

highdesertranger said:
maybe go over again what exactly you are trying to do.  as you totally lost me with that inept and dangerous youtube vid.  highdesertranger
That video was one person's technique regarding just one small piece of the install. 
For what I am trying to do, and why, I refer you to my initial post where I spent several paragraphs detailing it...

izifaddag said:
Well according to your hand drawn plan you are. You are taking an o/p from your solar battery and running to the shore i/p. That is hooked to a charger going to your house battery. Don't get me wrong that is a feasible way to do it but I don't understand why when there are easier ways. 

I decided to not respond any more because I cannot for the life of me understand why you want 2 battery banks. I figured that you had your reasons. 
Unless there is a piece of this puzzle I am missing you only need 1 battery bank and the transfer switch should be switching between the 2 systems i.e. inverter / battery and shore / gen.

You have lost me. :huh:
It's not like I am *hiding* my reasons - it's all right there in my initial post, many paragraphs about the how and why. Yes, my hand drawn diagram shows the entire existing RV electrical system, which includes the existing converter which charges the house batteries. I am just drawing what is there. I am trying to add a solar battery bank (and panels, inverter, etc.) to the mix without replacing the house batteries. Again, all detailed in my first post...

Easy, nobody is trying to berate you that I can tell but it is sounding like you are getting flabbergasted with our responses. With you defending the obviously very bad advice on that youtube video and other hints, it sounds very much like you have made up your mind. All we can do is try to dissuade you from doing it in a dangerous way. What you want to do is doable in a safe manner but it appears that you are trying to take a shortcut and save a few bucks that could burn down your rig. I am not saying it will happen, just has the potential when you mess up one time.

OK I am not trying to berate you Dixon. now the guy in the video it is open season on.

when I see a guy lighting a match to see inside a fuel tank that has fuel in it. akin to what's in the video. I immediately discount anything they have to say about anything(guy in the video) If they told me the sun was coming up tomorrow I wouldn't listen to them. unfortunately the are a lot of these experts on you tube and far to many people give them far to much credit just because, they are on you tube. I can think of several off the top of my head.

highdesertranger

I agree HDR, the guy in the video doesn't have a clue to what he is doing. Did he make it work with a battery other than his house battery, yes. I never tried to backfeed through a 15 amp circuit.

dixonge said:
tiny reply to test if I can get past the 404 error...

well great - can't respond to latest posts, either together or separately. 404 error, even after logging out/in. :(

highdesertranger said:
OK I am not trying to berate you Dixon.  now the guy in the video it is open season on.

when I see a guy lighting a match to see inside a fuel tank that has fuel in it.  akin to what's in the video.  I immediately discount anything they have to say about anything(guy in the video)  If they told me the sun was coming up tomorrow I wouldn't listen to them.  unfortunately  the are a lot of these experts on you tube and far to many people give them far to much credit just because,  they are on you tube.  I can think of several off the top of my head.

highdesertranger

While I do agree that male-to-male cables are generally a bad idea, my setup would have involved a rather permanent plug from the inverter to a plug inside the battery compartment. I was not planning on removing it when the inverter is on, or really ever for that matter. But that part I get, exposed hot male plug not advisable. But my remaining question is about the potential feedback in an RV system - the inverter would remain off unless we are at a location where there are no 30-amp pedestals within many miles. I guess if someone turned on the generator that could be an issue? Could you address that part? Thanks.

Sorry, I give up. I am not going to help you make something that could burn it down no matter your reasoning.

Sorry, I give up. I am not going to help you design an usafe setup that may burn your rig down. I gave you a much better, safer way to do it but you still resist.

I'm sorry, I give up too. Not only is the forum blocking most of my attempted responses, but people seem to think I'm an incompetent moron and propose solutions that match some hypothetical setup that does not resemble mine. My expectations are too high, evidently. My bad.

I appreciate a detailed discussion vs. short, terse posts that sound like a lecture. And while I have attempted to correct some mischaracterizations of the YT video in question, I have not (nor would I) 'defend' it. I've read several detailed discussions of the dangers, most of which involve conventional wisdom (because it isn't idiot-proof), the nicknames for this type of plug (dead-man, suicide, etc.) and how it applies to  sticks-and-bricks homes, usually plugging in a generator when power is out. I have yet to find out if doing this in an RV or trailer actually risks backfeeding or not, especially if the converter breaker is off. Maybe someone in this thread can enlighten me? And again, I'd prefer just an unemotional discussion. If all you can do is say things like OMG YOU WILL DIE in all caps, just opt out from responding, please. So, there a question...