Strip LED lighting

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkG

Reaction score
I want to add strip LED lighting to my van build, preferably with dimming capabilities. Seems straightforward, but I have a question about it below. First, some background.

Background
Like most folk, I plan to have solar in my van, but I'm not in a position to invest in that yet, so I plan to start out with a single AGM 100 Ah battery just to get some 12v power in the cabin. I'd like to use it without an inverter if possible, so that I will have only 12v DC available for my first few trips. I hope to install a single battery that can be charged with a 12v trickle charger at shore power, and maybe via an isolator charged from alternator of vehicle while driving. I would want to install some marine style 12v outlets (cig lighter type and USB type), and some LED strip lights.

Question
The LED strip lights I have seen seem to require 12v at 2 amps to power them. They are sold with the intent of using AC adaptors which is not what I wish to do. I want to power them directly from the battery circuit. My concern is whether I can just wire them directly into the battery circuit or not. Has anyone done this, or does anyone know of a product of strip lights which can be bought to go directly to 12v battery?

Thanks for reading this and for any help or advice you might offer.

I have some LED strip lights that I have under the kitchen cabinets and in the bathroom that I am running off 12V with dimmers. Make sure the LED lights you get are capable of dimming.

I use one of these dimmers in the kitchen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073R7H52B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and one of these touch ones for the bathroom: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015VWDM42/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very easy to install. The LED strips I put in are in aluminum channel for ease of mounting.

Thanks, Brian. I’m asking specifically about hooking them up directly to the 12v battery.

I know that it can be done; I just saw a post from Spiff made in 2015 stating that he had done it. I just want to be sure that will work without burning out the lights with no additional hardware.

If you are going to directly connect them without dimmers, you still need dimmable LED strips because of the varying voltage of a 12V system.

Dimmers can produce a lot of RF noise which makes static noise in radios and TVs. I prefer not to have 12v lights on a dimmer but instead have a choice of lighting sources, some nice and soft for night, others very bright for specific task lighting in the area for a work bench or kitchen counter. A just right reading light near the seating or the bed. etc. My friend installed dimmable, color changing LED light strips on his boat but he rarely uses them because of the RF noise.

You'll need basic soldering skills, too, to connect wires to the strips.

I haven't noticed any RF interference on the TV or the computer from the ones I listed but am not doing ham radio or anything else like that. I like being able to have a bright kitchen light and then have a very dim background light for moving/looking around inside from the same light. My bathroom door has about a 2 inch opening at the top so I can turn the bathroom light on low by touch from the outside and have a nice non blinding night light if I need to get up in the middle of the night for anything or when I get up before sunrise.

B and C said:
...and have a nice non blinding night light if I need to get up in the middle of the night for anything or when I get up before sunrise.

The status lights on my charge controller and battery monitor supply enough light for my middle of the night needs. And I can find most things by touch. But when that's not enough, I have a AA-powered touch light. And sometimes moonlight is sufficient.

Not too terribly worried about RF noise since I do not watch TV. If there is interference at a frequency that does affect some of my other hardware, well, I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. I do appreciate the heads up though.

Soldering skills will not be an issue.

just wanted to point out RF is a relative of that stuff they are talking about over on the 5G thread. highdesertranger

Flashlights are great but ruin night vision. The only other light in my van at night is the android phone I have velcroed to the wall by my head as a clock. I do have a few plugin 12v chargers that have a little led light that is on if I am charging something overnight but rarely and they are in the front.

Through hijacking thread.

Latest posts