Smart Charger vs. Inverter Charger

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda like that all in one stereo system where when one thing on it quit, you had to replace the whole thing.

WanderingWillow57 said:
My Bad, I assumed everyone would understand that I would be running these batteries in series/parallel, hence the 700 AH's.

And ironically....when you figure the 'rule of thumb' 50% use, we are right back to 350 Ah usable.

Funny how that works.

B and C said:
No, bulk charge is not a full charge.  That short cycle is just to give the solar a head start on charging (and to make coffee).  There are three charge cycles, bulk, absorption and float.  Bulk is the batteries taking all the amps a source can give them while the voltage rises.  When the voltage gets to a set point (somewhere in the 14V range) at that high amperage, it goes into absorption stage.  Absorption is where the voltage is held at that higher voltage but the amperage the batteries will take tapers off.  Absorption usually takes hours and is where solar shines (no pun intended).  Float is when the amperage at the high voltage falls to a preset point somewhere around .5% of battery capacity.  It then goes into float stage usually somewhere in the 13 something volt range.  The batteries you get will specify these points for you.

I dry camp (boondock) almost exclusively except for some campgrounds to dump tanks and fill with water, laundry, etc.  Most of the time I find dump and fill places and then go to a laundromat.  Stop at a grocery store and gone again.

Wow, great info B and C, TY :shy:

Sounds pretty much like what I'll be doing...floating around the country, staying 2 - 4 weeks at free camping spots, drive a little further to the next place I want to visit and doing it again.

Thx to everyone here, I've figured out how to choose my batteries, my generator, and now my converter charger. Next lesson is which solar panel and MPPT chargers are good and the wiring sizes and lengths going to batteries from charger.

I have definitely learned a lot from reading everybody's posts and would never feel as confident about doing this as I do without this site :heart:

Still have things to learn before I make the jump :thumbsup:

B and C said:
I have a progressive dynamics converter (45A) that gives me filtered 12V DC also and use it to charge my 350Ah bank.  I run my generator first thing in the morning to make coffee and bulk charge the batteries for a little while.  Solar then takes over.  I have a 350 watt MSW inverter that I don't remember the last time I turned it on.
I am still finishing up my build but I am installing that very same converter. I do have solar panels for off grid. I also have a Honda i1000 generator. I was hoping to use that generator as my backup for charging. So now the question is will it do the job for my backup charger power source or must I get a larger generator?  In case it matters my battery is 160ah AGM. Your advice is appreciated!

To be honest, I don't know. I have heard it won't run a 60 amp charger. Since you already have the generator it is worth trying. Others will know then too if you report on it. Battery depth of discharge will come into play. If the battery is discharged enough to need bulk charging, it will pull all 45 amps from the charger. Almost forgot that altitude will come into play as well. Generators lose capacity as you go up in elevation. I generally only use about 20% of my 350 Ah battery bank overnight. When I fire up the generator it goes to 45 amps right away but starts dropping amperage right after which is telling me that I am really in the absorption phase already.

I have an Onan 2800 watt generator so I have plenty of power. You will be cutting it much closer.

If you're only going to pull 5-8% youre probably never going to see bulk charging. With that said, having adjustable voltage such as powermax converters allows you to turn voltages lower to help the generator. Bulk charging doesnt have to get to 14.6v+ you can just get to get 13.8v for instance then let solar takeover.

the Honda 1000i is actually rated I 800 watts contentious I believe. what are the specs on the converter? what is the max draw? I know that their 65A Boondocker converter will run off a Honda 2200i no problem. highdesertranger

I did a little digging. At the Progressive Dynamics website, they list the PD 4645 as drawing 725 watts. From what HDR said about the 800 watt continuous, 1000 watt surge of the Honda, it will run the charger at lower altitudes but may struggle if you get to high. You won't be able to use the generator for anything else while it is charging the batteries though.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/inteli-power-4600-series/#specifications

B and C said:
I did a little digging.  At the Progressive Dynamics website, they list the PD 4645 as drawing 725 watts.  From what HDR said about the 800 watt continuous, 1000 watt surge of the Honda, it will run the charger at lower altitudes but may struggle if you get to high.  You won't be able to use the generator for anything else while it is charging the batteries though.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/inteli-power-4600-series/#specifications
Thanks, that is great news. I don't anticipate taking that trailer up to high elevations.

3000 feet might be maximum. Not very high in my book but in summer I like 8000 and above.

From the Progressive Dynamics website:

Before you buy, ask the seller about their warranty procedures. Does the retailer provide a "working" customer service or service department phone number? Does the Progressive Dynamics product that you are buying have a valid serial number? Some online retailers are selling Progressive Dynamics' products without a valid serial number...DON'T BUY THEM! We must have a valid serial number for all warranty service work. A valid serial number allows your warranty service topics to be handled smoothly and with ease.

I bought mine here because they're listed on the Progressive Dynamics website:

Leisure Time

Also, the pricing was better than anywhere else I looked. It shipped right away.

I almost bought one from a seller on Amazon until I found the above info.