Camping coffee bags

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldwolf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now this is an idea that I've had for a while but never could seem to put it together. But then at the store yesterday when I was heading out to my campsite I found these Folgers coffee bags. Woke up to 38° temperature and was able to easily put together some hot coffee. It's not too bad and definitely hits the spot!

1000007320.jpg

I wonder if a tea infuser would do the trick, or if the holes are too big and would let the coffee grounds out.
People have also been known to make coffee in the toe of a nylon stocking, right?

We just use a percolator on the stove with a basket with holes that works great. I've just boiled coffee in an old coffee pot with no basket & if you run cold water down the spout the grounds go to the bottom of the pot.

I had one of these and it's around here somewhere. Ahhhh life in the sticks n bricks.

Mine was regular plastic and not silicon collapsible like this one.

Pour over coffee dripper for campers

Thermal drink container

stanley.png

With a 2 cup plastic thermal coffee container and this device I had enough coffee to start the day.

These don't brew up a strong enough cup for me, tho' YMMV. I just go for a simple Melitta cone filter holder that fits over a mug + #2 cone coffee filters. Heat water in a kettle and make a pour-over. Easy peasy.

My coffee maker. I used to not drink coffee but have started drinking it more often. Measuring cup, strainer with filter and electric kettle. It works. And I have seen tea infusers that are fine enough to use for coffee.

I just go for a simple Melitta cone filter holder that fits over a mug + #2 cone coffee filters. Heat water in a kettle and make a pour-over. Easy peasy.
I have a big mug and do the pour over using a Bunn filter basket ($17), and the filters that fit it ($16 for 1,000!). Both available on Amazon.

It's nice because the basket will hold a quart. Just dump the water in and come back in a few minutes and it's done.

Someone gave me an Aeropress, but I'm not sure I want to use it. It's so tiny for one thing. Anybody have thoughts on that? Are Aeropresses really that great?

Someone gave me an Aeropress, but I'm not sure I want to use it. It's so tiny for one thing. Anybody have thoughts on that? Are Aeropresses really that great?
All I know is that people who like the Aeropress like it A LOT. To the point of proselytizing sometimes. If you're an IT person, think of how some Linux users are when trying to convert Windows or Mac folks... 😆

I think the Aeropress is a bit more complicated that just doing a pour-over. But hey, like what you like.

Wow, that looks great. And no filters to throw away.
There are small paper filters in the Aero Press. I started using one around 2010. It was recommended by an employee in a kitchen specialty store in Seattle when I wanted an easier way to make espresso versus using an Italian Moka pot on the stove top or an electric countertop espresso machine.

A few weeks ago in Lake Havasu City I noticed that Walmart had an Aero Press for sale. Last year in Flagstaff I could not find anyone selling the small precut filters. Target was selling the device but not any extra filters. So I resorted to ordering two boxes of them from Amazon. My Arero Press is likely due for replacement as after many years of use the acrylic plastic at the upper edge is starting to get hairline cracks.

I did recently make some cold brew coffee in it following the YouTube presentation of cold brew coffee posted by the inventor of the device. It is very simple to do that.

"cold" brew is a pretty simple method.

I prefer to say "ambient air temperature" brew. Works unless you prefer iced coffee.

Espresso is a bit more complicated.

Latest posts