Camping at Quartzite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bullfrog said:
As our new nurse at the clinic once said “the desert is a very very dirty place.” Lol!!!
x10

Don't think one realizes, even with good imagination, how/where dust/dirt can get, and how much...till one experiences it.
Still love it, tho!

I spent 2 weeks at Ft Bliss in the desert, we had a sand storm that lasted for 2 days, you had to cover everything up. We had goggles, and you had to pull a shirt over your face and cover piece of exposed skin.

I had sand in my gear for months after I got home.

One's idea of "clean" changes over time when you live without copious hot running water. Personally, I think it becomes more sensible, less compulsive.

I spent 20 years in the Army, and you can go for days on end without a bath, yea you smell like a Billy Goat, but everyone else you hasn't a bath either, so you all smell like Billy Goats.

It just makes appreciate what you have even more.

Recently, someone posted here that they camp in the desert and that they are able to keep all dust of their vehicle. Sure. Go out at night and shine a bright flashlight straight up and watch the dust swirling in the air, even in calm air.

Goggles and sand. Goggles have vents, otherwise they fog. Vents let sand in. Losing battle.

As a civilian I can stay inside where there is less dust during a sandstorm.

Valley fever dust is the reason that I owned masks with filters long before the current crisis. I wonder how the guy who complained about my wearing a mask then is doing now.

Freelander said:
yea you smell like a Billy Goat, but everyone else you hasn't a bath either, so you all smell like Billy Goats.

It just makes appreciate what you have even more.
My rig was a true barn find and it definitely smelled of goats....
Honestly... it is the van...NOT me..
I wonder at what distance from the van I can be till that excuse is no longer valid.

Truthfully you are better off bringing along a few more clothes than you think you need because it is not easyto acquire them in remote locations.

My dog has asked to be the Camp mascot, with these eyes I told her Yes.

Miss WeenieDog.

Attachments

• WeenieDog.jpeg
    WeenieDog.jpeg
    327 KB
Freelander said:
My dog has asked to be the Camp mascot, with these eyes I told her Yes.

Miss WeenieDog.

I'll see if that is OK with my dog, Cammie....if not...oh well...

KIMG2058 (Small).JPG

;)

Attachments

• KIMG2058 (Small).JPG
    KIMG2058 (Small).JPG
    88.4 KB
RRule is only one pack leader per pack. if you do it right that will be the human not the canine.

tx2sturgis said:
A camp mascot is not the same as the pack leader....just sayin....

Since it's YARC you gotta prove somehow that the mascot....Just Ain't Right.

Well this Dog I know Ain't right. She's sweet but dumb as a rock.

I dog is scared of everything, when she gets scared she stops and pees on herself. I told you she ain't right.

That's nothin..............last year YARC camp had a dog that would walk on it's front legs and then PEE ....Everywhere

Don't pet the doggie !!!!!

I have the ability to walk on two legs and pee all over myself...I vote myself as YARC camp leader....so there