Camping at Quartzite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you guys there for the RV show, or is it a hotspot or something?
I've seen it mentioned several times in other posts...

I’ve never been to the big show and certainly wouldn’t anyway this year with Covid. I think less than half the people I see are masking with Covid soaring. We will be shopping in CA.

Lots of people still camping out in the desert but not as many as years past. The flea markets are open but vendors are way down. Keep a little bottle of alcohol on me to spray my hands if I have to touch anything. I’m careful not to get close to anyone.

I’m really wanting to get in the ATV and get out into the desert. Seems someone liked the rocks in our fire pit and the ones I collected near where I park. A jillion rocks in the desert but they gotta take the ones someone else collected. I like my dog a lot..

YARC Camp is empty except for us. Don’t know if anyone else will park here this year or not. If you do please wear a mask near where I’m parked.

Well crud Toto. I see I rambled and didn’t really answer your question. Quartzsite has been a hotspot for RVers for decades. The town is small but boasts a large rock and mineral show in the winter along with several flea markets. There are many RV parks and the surrounding desert is open for boondocking. There are several designated camping areas set up for long term visitors that offer water, a dump station, and trash bins for $40 for two weeks or $180 for a seven months seasonal stay. We do the later because I love the convenience of the water and dump plus you don’t have to worry about moving every two weeks like you have to if you are just out in the desert.

I use a lot of water and if I had to pull out of here and break camp every-time I want to dump or fill up it would be a real hassle and would cost me more than what I’m paying for here.

There is just about every type of hobby club you can imagine here and in years past I’ve joined the rock and mineral club, the gold club and the quilting club.

I will not be joining them this winter.

The surrounding desert, if you hike or have an ATV, bike, etc., is a great place to go out to see the natural sights of the desert and also old Indian petroglyphs, old mines and cabins and anything else you find.

I hope that I’ve answered your questions. If you have any more feel free to ask.

Should I bring some firewood with me?

I have a bunch of hickory and my own fire ring.

moving firewood is highly discouraged. California will confiscate it at the border check points. fruits, vegetables and firewood are the big three they ask for at the stations. also pallets in the desert will get you a ticket in California. I know you asked about Quartzsite but here is an overview,

https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/

highdesertranger

I plan to bring the 10" cast iron Dutch Oven with me and I will need a supply of firewood for it.

There aint nothing a pot of beans cooked over a campfire.

The firewood in town is at a premium price. Maybe you can get some from the surrounding communities for less but I’m not sure

I'm not planning on taking the RV into to Cali, I'll have the Toad with me for that.

But since it's all desert around there was does the firewood come from and how much is it?

crofter said:
"Yay !!!" Said the creosote bush to the cactus. Dwellers not so much.  -crofter
[quote pid='515897' dateline='1607582082']
The mountains between Q and Bouse got a tiny bit of rain overnight but it evaporated quickly. I'd like a downpour with enough water to flush the washes. Here is a pic of the desert in 2018 taken a few miles south of Roadrunner on Old Yuma Rd.
IMG_20190325_174915_600.jpg
[/quote]

Attachments

• IMG_20190325_174915_600.jpg
    IMG_20190325_174915_600.jpg
    1.1 MB
Difficult to say for sure where a firwood seller is s ourcing from. They sell it by the box. The box is one of the big produce ones. The typical price I have seen is $10 per box if you buy 3. Some sellers only have one dpecies of wood others have a variety of wood types. That is whty it is not possible to say it is from one place. But one thing is for sure ther ed is only scrub brush types of trees in the local vicinity. So they are hauling it in from outside this area. Certainly not from south off here so most likely from the higher elevations in the state where yhere are some forested areas.

For the persoon who wants a slow cooked pot of beans. Beans on  made in a solar oven  would be a good alternative. If you factor in the cost of firewood then solar oven will quickly pay for itself in the quartzsite with the fuel savings. Plus in the siummertime when burn bans are on you will still be able to do slow cooked beans plus many other dishes.

Jimindenver is a member of this forum. He has taught solar cooking lessons at the RTR and he has some youtube videos o. It. There are also videos of him showing it on the cheaprvliving youtube channel.  My Thanksgiving turkey dinner was cooked by solar at his camp here in Quartzsite.

We usually buy wood from "Woodstock" a vendor closest to the LTVA located in Rice Ranch at Kuehn and 95

They are from North Arizona near Williams.........Banana Boxes are the form of measure.......Usually Oak, Hairy Juniper and Pine

...............the vendors name is NOEL..........So in typical YARC fashion I call him LEON

For Thanksgiving we had four solar ovens and three reflective cookers making two whole turkeys, a ham, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, green bean casserole, peas and stuffing. Still had a few more cookers but ran out of food to put in them.

The oak would be good for cooking but the pine is only good for firewood.

Cammalu said:
Well crud Toto. I see I rambled and didn’t really answer your question. Quartzsite has been a hotspot for RVers for decades. The town is small but boasts a large rock and mineral show in the winter along with several flea markets. There are many RV parks and the surrounding desert is open for boondocking. There are several designated camping areas set up for long term visitors that offer water, a dump station, and trash bins for $40 for two weeks or $180 for a seven months seasonal stay. We do the later because I love the convenience of the water and dump plus you don’t have to worry about moving every two weeks like you have to if you are just out in the desert.

I use a lot of water and if I had to pull out of here and break camp every-time I want to dump or fill up it would be a real hassle and would cost me more than what I’m paying for here.

There is just about every type of hobby club you can imagine here and in years past I’ve joined the rock and mineral club, the gold club and the quilting club.

I will not be joining them this winter.

The surrounding desert, if you hike or have an ATV, bike, etc., is a great place to go out to see the natural sights of the desert and also old Indian petroglyphs, old mines and cabins and anything else you find.

I hope that I’ve answered your questions. If you have any more feel free to ask.

Awesome, it does, sounds cool. Better than stupid VA lol.
Thanks, and will do!

Latest posts