Camping at Quartzite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is easy, you dress for the weather. If you need warmer clothes you will rapidly acquire some so that you feel warm. People have managed to stay warm without even firewood by dressing in warm clothing.

bullfrog said:
As has been said many times a good sleeping bag, sock hat and wool socks are always required to ensure you survive. .......This kind of lifestyle puts you outside a large part of the time so proper clothing is necessary.

Yes, i've lived in cold weather all my life (in a house)...the last time i camped outdoors was in the Sandia Mountains in 1972.....it was so windy i stayed up all night holding the tent up & i learned how to light the gas lantern for the first time in the dark....i am so out of practice now....and out of shape for all this....but i think this is what i need to do to get back into shape.....because nothing else works.....now drastic measures step in.....my diet will change & so will everything else.....the caterpillar will be coming out of her cozy cocoon.... :heart:

maki2 said:
It is easy, you dress for the weather. If you need warmer clothes you will rapidly acquire some so that you feel warm. People have managed to stay warm without even firewood by dressing in warm clothing.

Yes....I'm from Minnesota....yesterday i took my down filled jacket to a tailor to get altered & a new zipper....(I have too much blubber) haha....the extreme weather sleeping bag will be perfect for me because i sleep naked... :heart:

Gypsy108 said:
....the extreme weather sleeping bag will be perfect for me because i sleep naked... :heart:

I wish I didn't read that!!!!!   :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

@ Ravella & X :

Yeah eventually i'll get a heater and everything else to survive in more comfort....i'm just tired of thinking i have to have everything perfect first before i can leave....it's preventing me from leaving !!!!!

I won't be able to try it out with the blankets because the person i live with will get suspicious....he already knows i'm addicted to looking at vans....

You have your husband too to help keep you warm !   I will be leaving my bed warmer....haha

:heart:

Freelander said:

I wish I didn't read that!!!!!   :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Just picture a Manatee sleeping in a sleeping bag ...

Gypsy108 said:
Just picture a Manatee sleeping in a sleeping bag ...

That isn't helping any, I may have to call Dr. Phil so he help get the image out my head!!!

I've slept out quite a few nights in my army extreme weather bag as low as 30 below. You can buy one in most army/navy surplus stores. I would highly recommend buying one as my cold weather nights were without a tent or anything. It is a mummy style bag.

Gypsyjoe#1 said:
I've slept out quite a few nights in my army extreme weather bag as low as 30 below. I would highly recommend buying one 

yes ... I’m planning on it...I gotta have at least the minimum requirements to survive...

The real trick is learning how to get undressed and redressed in the Sleeping bag.

Freelander said:
The real trick is learning how to get undressed and redressed in the Sleeping bag.

I'm sure....maybe you could make a video and teach us  :)

It would be ugly, that was 30 years and 100 lbs ago.

Freelander said:
It would be ugly, that was 30 years and 100 lbs ago.

just show from the outside ... not inside the bag...haha.

A good quality mummy sleeping bag, a fleece blanket, and a down comforter, and sweat shirt and sweat pants. Don't use a hot water bottle, I have considered buying a 12v heating pad, but that comes under the heading of nice but not necessary. When I was living in a house, 60 at night felt far too stuffy, I think 45 is just about right.

Electric space heating is very inefficient. There are good reasons to have a portable power station and solar panels, but space heating isn't really one of those good reasons.

jacqueg said:
A good quality mummy sleeping bag, a fleece blanket...
A warm hat is most important to conserve body heat. A warm hat combined with a puffy vest and warm wool sox will keep you comfortable in most conditions. When I am really cold or if I do not want to run a heater I wear these, and even sleep in them. I also have a warm bag for sleeping.
  -crofter

I am thinking my Christmas gift to ask for is a soft, cozy, lined fleece hoodie. That will work better for me than a hat which always comes off

My trailer is much warmer at night as well as in the day than where I was living at this time last year even without any heat on in myntrailer.  I am thrilled to be enjoying warm sun for hours everyday in the month of December. This is not hardship living.

It will get colder in a few weeks and hopefully some rain will make it to the Southwest so maybe one of those Sherpa hats with the braided ties would work. I have really big ears and dearly love my Elmer Fudd hunting caps with ear flaps. I also like that I have a clip on light for the bill.

maki2 said:
I am thinking my Christmas gift to ask for is a soft, cozy, lined fleece hoodie. That will work better for me than a hat which always comes off ......

I have 2 ... very cozy and soft fleece...what size are you ?   Mine are XXXL