Camping at Quartzite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a really cheap way to anchor legs down. I take a piece of 3’ or 4’ tall chain link fencing and put it around the upright leg, using one strand of the chain link fencing to weave the ends together to make a cylinder. Then drill a hole at the bottom of the leg to run a piece of wire through and attach it on opposite sides to the fencing. Lay a couple rocks on the wire and fill to the top with smaller rocks evenly around the leg.

maki2 said:
You have convinced yourself that I have no clue what I am talking about......

No...thats not it at all...as a matter of fact i'm so frustrated trying to figure it all out myself i will take your advice .  I try to think as much as possible how to do things myself...i sometimes ask for help...i totally trust you know what you're talking about....i just didn't like the idea of having to have one custom made because i wanted to have one already made when i set up my camp...instead of waiting...

Thanks everyone for all your input :heart:

Gypsy108 said:
Can you use a garage tent similar to this at Quartzite ?

https://www.shelterlogic.com/shop/autoshelterr-1020-open-box

I'm trying to find a cheap mini van and thought this would protect from the elements & add privacy too....

Yes, a few people do use these.

I'd wonder how to carry it, how much trouble it is to put up, and how well it stands up to wind. But I've never asked anyone.

I use a CLAM shelter, which I stake down with lag bolts using a drill.

I want to add that those portable garages are guite heavy in the box (or boxes). I have a 10x20 portable garage canopy shelter (without sides or doors) from Harbor Freight that I bought, on sale a few years ago...still in the box....it is big and heavy enough (75 pounds) that I really have to move it around (still in the box) with a hand truck.

These are not something you can just easily toss in the back of an already fully loaded minivan.

My advice is similar to the above: Arrive in Q, unload and set up, but spend a few days before you head into town to buy a vehicle shelter...you might decide you dont even need one.

can you use one? yes but

like everyone is saying they are big and heavy and they must be staked down really, really well. which adds even more weight.

highdesertranger

Portable garages are not easy to put up on your own. A Clam can be managed on your own. Focus on the issue of privacy as that seems to be your primary desire.

People here are not going around walking up to vehicles and staring into tnem.

Get a Clam shelter. 4 side panels for it. That Clam can be your changing room and you can have a discreet composting toilet bucket inside a box with a lid. If you want to cook inside you would be wise to get one of the larger clams to keep the heat well away from the screened sides. I have seen screen damage including holes and deformed mesh on a Clam from someone using a stove too close to the sides. Same thing goes with a propane heater, do not put it near a wall. Leave one of the side panels off when cooking or heating

When you get here you can get help with making some privacy screening for your van windows for the daytime so you can see out but they cant see in.

Park your car so that the door you exit from when getting out of the rear is very close to the door of the  Clam. Your car will give you line of site privacy at the transition location.

When you get here you will also see that some people use shade cloth to create free standing privacy fence panels.That too is an option and you can buy the components for it in Quartzsite.

But if you decide uou truly need a portable garage 
That is OK, it can be made to work but probaly not an easy one person job to put up. Good to be self reliant on the road when setting up camp.

I decided on the CLAM shelter instead of a portable garage ...found Bob's video on it too :

Thank you all for steering me in the right direction  :heart:

I'm baking tomorrow. Anybody at La Posa South want free sourdough bread?

jacqueg said:
 I do!

How do I get it?
Come to my campsite, put on a mask, take bread. Easy peasy, ya?
If you want to pick it up just out of the dutch oven, pm me your phone number and I will text you when it's done.
I see you have a guide to my campsite =)

abnorm said:
^Stop by Solar camp and I'll go visit Revella with you........
Yay! I wanted to ask you about a certain pallet on my campsite and my thoughts on its future life as a shorter table to fill my Flame King canisters on.

How do you stay warm without a heater or way to heat up water for water bottles ?

I turn the heat down in my house to 60 at night.... I can’t imagine sleeping in 30 degrees....

Maybe I should wait until I get a Jackery and solar panels ?  

I do have a down filled quilt... and lots of microfiber blankets...oh and a wool blanket ...

Gypsy108 said:
How do you stay warm without a heater or way to heat up water for water bottles ?
I cannot imagine trying to deal with cold mornings without a heater of some sort. I use the previously popular Mr. Heater Buddy in my fiberglass egg.

I turn the heat down in my house to 60 at night.... I can’t imagine sleeping in 30 degrees....
That part is easy if your bed is made warm. Lots of people use freezing temp rated sleeping bags. I use more or less covers depending on the temp. I also wear an old cloth mask to keep my nose and cheeks warm while internetting on my phone in bed late at night. My nose and cheeks thank me! My husband wears buffs on his beautiful bald head to keep it warm while he sleeps.

Maybe I should wait until I get a Jackery and solar panels ?  There comes a time when you feel the need to go. You shoyld go when you have the wheels and the need and the money or income you will need to set up better as you go. We spent most of 2020 boondocking all over Nevada without solar, without refrigeration, basically without electricity. Woke up to snow a couple of times, too. It wasn't awful. There was a lot of magic in the year.

I do have a down filled quilt... and lots of microfiber blankets...oh and a wool blanket ...   Can you try your available covers one night at cold temps to see if it works for you?

As has been said many times a good sleeping bag, sock hat and wool socks are always required to ensure you survive. Warming up with a small stove or other heat source once you are awake and just before going to bed helps. One reason many people use RVs is they keep the wind and rain off you as well as with lots of solar, generator or plugged in and propane can keep you warm. With unvented propane heat you will still have to open up or ventilate during the day to dry out condensation when it is hopefully warmer. This kind of lifestyle puts you outside a large part of the time so proper clothing is necessary.

I spent many a night in any Army Extreme Cold Weather sleeping bag, once its warmed up, its almost too hot.

Freelander said:
I spent many a night in any Army Extreme Cold Weather sleeping bag, once its warmed up, its almost too hot.

PERFECT !    Thanks  :heart:

Latest posts