Camper shell window tint

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kisatchieman

Reaction score
<P>I currently have a&nbsp;fiberglass&nbsp;camper shell on my Toyota Tundra and was brainstorming on how to block all light coming from the inside with window tint or whatever. Would like to park overnight without anyone knowing I was inside. Even thought about lining the windows with reflectix to help with a little insulation, but does this stuff block all light? </P>

<P>
<SPAN id=post_message_1271534336>Here's Ash, from Massachusetts (A.K.A. Butternut on this site), &amp; this is how she does it: </P><DIV><A href="http://thetuckerbag.blogspot.com/2011/11/privacy-how-to.html" target=_blank target=_blank><A href="http://thetuckerbag.blogspot.com/2011/11/privacy-how-to.html" target=_blank target=_blank><FONT color=#000000>http://thetuckerbag.blogspot.com/2011/11/privacy-how-to.html</FONT></A></A> </DIV><DIV><BR></DIV><DIV>Of all the methods I've found, this one seems the most feasible.</DIV><DIV>Good luck in your endeavors!</DIV><P></SPAN>
</P><P>Thanks xj. I read her info on blackout fabric, but it appears that it allows in soft outside light, which would probably allow inside light to get out. When&nbsp;I park at night I don't want any light showing on the outside of my rig-need totally dark.</P>

Velcro completely around the frame for a tight seal, then add a dark light absorbing material - black cloth glued on a piece of cardboard or thin sheet plastic cut to shape. Can be left in place or removed. Use industrial grade velcro for the stronger adhesive. <BR><BR>We use white ABS plastic velcroed in place, but we're not trying for a complete light seal so we only use several small pieces of velcro per window.&nbsp; <BR>

Starman said:
<p>I currently have a&nbsp;fiberglass&nbsp;camper shell on my Toyota Tundra and was brainstorming on how to block all light coming from the inside with window tint or whatever. Would like to park overnight without anyone knowing I was inside. Even thought about lining the windows with reflectix to help with a little insulation, but does this stuff block all light? </p>
<br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://dreamsinabay.blogspot.com/2011/06/no-light-escaping-here.html">Check out Dreams on a Bay</a>. These two are no longer van dwelling, but they seem to have found a solution to the problem. <br>

<P>Thanks for your suggestions guys. I've gotten sidetracked by other matters and haven't had much time to devote to window coverings.&nbsp;I have decided against window tint and will go with something that's removable. I looked at some blackout fabric at Wallyworld this morning and it looks promising. Will have to figure out whether to attach it with&nbsp;velcro, magnets or curtain rods.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</P>

<P>Ditched the idea of blackout curtains and decided to go&nbsp;with removeable rigid panels over the windows. Went to Lowes and bought a $13 4x8 sheet of 1/8" fiberboard (dark brown&nbsp;on one side and gloss white on the other). Cut&nbsp;panels to match the contours of all the windows and attached with&nbsp;sheet metal tabs that can be bent down to hold panels in place on the window or&nbsp;straightened out to remove them. Turned the brown side out and white side inside camper shell to brighten up the enterior and&nbsp;cut down on the amount of light needed.</P>

Kisatchieman said:
<P>Ditched the idea of blackout curtains and decided to go&nbsp;with removeable rigid panels over the windows. Went to Lowes and bought a $13 4x8 sheet of 1/8" fiberboard (dark brown&nbsp;on one side and gloss white on the other). Cut&nbsp;panels to match the contours of all the windows and attached with&nbsp;sheet metal tabs that can be bent down to hold panels in place on the window or&nbsp;straightened out to remove them. Turned the brown side out and white side inside camper shell to brighten up the enterior and&nbsp;cut down on the amount of light needed.</P>

Any pictures? I am trying to black out my windows as well.

For my camper shell, I bought some super magnets from Home Depot. They are small, round, powerful magnets that are exactly the size of the rivets that secure the shell's windows in place. I just placed one magnet on every 2nd or 3rd rivet along the windows and leave them them on there all the time. When I'm ready for privacy, I unfold some thin, black foam I purchased at the hobby store and use washers to attach the material to the underlying magnets. I keep the washers on a piece of wire that I have hanging from one of the bed's inside hooks. Works good and doesn't require any permanent changes to your camper shell. Also, using the foam makes it light weight and required no sewing. :) Hope this helps.

Latest posts