Camp Chef stove/oven combo

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trekking

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would a wise investment buying one on the camp chef oven and stove combo.

there nice......there big......they take up space.....I had one and enjoyed it......it is cheaper to have a coleman stove and a fold up oven.

I have one and like it, they do take up space though. they don't have a regular thermostat like your over in a house or rv. so takes a little getting used to. but they do work well. I also have a coleman folding oven. they will work but in any kind of wind not so well, a dutch oven works much better than the folding oven imho. highdesertranger

My buddy has/had one, whilst living outta the back of his Jeep and then a van, and LOVED it! Of course, he actually used the oven part.. unlike me. ..Willy.

I'd think it would be more of a hassle having the two separated. The reviews for the integrated unit and for the discrete oven seem to be, for the most part, very positive. ..Willy.

I think I would consider them as seperate items and not as a single unit. My thinking would be that it would be a great source of heat in the winter. On a cold day I would plan on cooking a batch of cornbread or almost anything in the evening and that would probably be enough heat to get me by for the night: 350 degrees for 30 minutes is a LOT of heat and it is all coming out into the van when it is done.

Or maybe I would just run it on low and leave the door slightly open.

In the summer when it would be MUCH too hot to cook inside it would be much easier to take outside to cook.

When you think of it as your heater as well as oven it get a lot easier to justify.
Bob

bob you could do a small pizza or maybe half a large one. corn bread is no problem, biscuits too. I can roast a whole chicken, but it's tight. highdesertranger

Hello- I bought 2 Biolite wood burning camp stoves at $130 apiece from amazon and plan on getting one of those folding camp stoves or possibly building my own so I can fit frozen pizzas in it and bake days worth of bread stuffs all they need is dry twigs for fuel they also charge 1 cell phone apiece while heating with a thermoelectric generator in the long run they should be very efficient I believe those folding ovens only need 2 heat sources so these should work fine and I can save all the propane for my freezers and zodi camp shower check them out on youtube theres some great reviews. have a good day

pete a heads up on those folding ovens I have had one for years. if you use them outdoors and if there is any type of wind it is very hard to regulate the temp in the oven. the thin aluminum loses heat fast. I mean like instantly. you must sit by the oven and adjust the heat the whole time up and down to try to hold a steady temp. indoors like on a rv stove top they work great. this is why I went with the camp chef. btw I still have the folding oven. highdesertranger

akrvbob said:
How big is the oven part? Can you get a frozen pizza in it?
Bob
The oven is 10x16x10 dim inside, seems a bit big for a van.

Lucky mike said:
there nice......there big......they take up space.....I had one and enjoyed it......it is cheaper to have a coleman stove and a fold up oven.
How well do those fold up ovens work? I almost bought one recently, but decided to investigate it further. Thanks

I gave a little review about the fold up ovens in post #12. if you keep them out of the wind and get use to the temp regulation they work really good. however if you have any type of breeze not so good, even with wind blocks. plus they only hold 7x7 pans which might make a difference or not. if you have one or that's what you can afford I say go for it. I used one for over 20 years, still have it. basically what I wrote on #12. highdesertranger

I'm curious. Would you guys be using the stove for cooking a pizza inside your van or outside?

Had one at the last RTR sold it to my neighbor,too big. If you bake it would be a good indoor kitchen addition

I just purchased (and began to use) one of the Camp Chef Oven/Stove combos this past week. I have only cooked a few things in it so far, but I am very glad I bought it. It does take up more vertical space than my Coleman 2 burner stove, but the footprint (horizontal and width) is not much larger. I just happened to build in a spot for the oven when doing my recent rebuild of the interior. You can just as easily store things inside the oven when not in use, so it is not like that space goes to waste.

It inside is large enough to fit a 13X9 pan inside, making it large enough to fit most frozen pizzas in there too. In fact, Coleman sells a pizza stone for that oven.

I will have mine with me at RTR in Jan and everyone is welcome to come take a peak at it.

Van Tramp,

With your fancy new stove, you could turn your van into a food truck at RTR and sell homemade take outs for a profit. I'd jump on it myself as I don't like to cook. :D

Casey