Camp Chef stove/oven combo

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Just like any propane burning item they are not intended for indoor use. If you do use it indoors, you must leave a window or door open to prevent possibly killing yourself. And you should never use it when you 1) are sleep or may possibly fall asleep, or 2) when you are not there to watch over it.

I'm always amazed when someone says they are able to cook full meals in their RV. I previously purchased a 25' Class C used RV, and the seller told me he cooked an entire Thanksgiving turkey dinner in the RV oven. I said "wow, that's cool!". After buying that RV, I later looked carefully to discover the ceiling and walls had a thick layer of grease baked into it from all the previous cooking. It literally took me hours and hours of hard scrubbing to make the white ceilings look halfway white again. It really nauseated me because I can't stand grease or anything oily. I never did cook anything in that RV, so it was a waste, and ended up selling it a year later at a loss. From that first experience, I've come to the realization that I will never cook in a vehicle.

I guess if we just clean up after cooking it would not buildup right? I suspect the person you bought it from rarely cleaned up after himself.

I haven't had any problems myself but then I have rebuilt the interior of my van twice in the past 3 years. I know that my next rebuild will involve a complete removal of all headliner upholstery and carpet in the living area for that very reason... it holds onto the smells. I'd rather go with hard wood floor and ceilings.

I also plan to install a fan that will pull the oven fumes out the side window. I do suspect that cooking something greasy in there would cause a lot of smoke to buildup in the van and I'd like to get a head start on fixing that.

My Mom's kitchen has grease build-up on the walls behind the stove, and she uses the overhead rangehood.
She is always wiping but it still builds up. Years of Dad frying foods. Mom rarely fries since he passed away.

I cringe at the thought of grease and oil. A mental hangup for sure. Just can't do it.

How do you know I eat McD's? :) Choke, choke...choking from the grease.

Grease in my mouth is different than grease on the walls, ceiling, carpet, appliances. I can't stand grease anywhere other than in my mouth while munching on McD's chicken nuggets, haha!

My parents used to work at restaurants as cooks in the kitchen. They were always cautious about grease and cleaned it off right away. That same grease paranoia transferred over to me, so I blame my parents, hah!

Just for the record, most of the time I eat chicken salad at Chipotle for dinner. Or will get Pho soup or something similar. I am *not* a walking grease pit, haha! I just recently went to see the doctor and got weighed at 157 pounds at nearly 5'9". Not bad for someone my age. I'm actually on the thin side. Blood pressure? That's a different matter, hah!

By the way, my new favorite burger joint is called "Super Duper" Burgers. I always get the works with bacon, cheese, and all the toppings. Yum!