Camp Chef Stove/Oven Combo

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraz627

Reaction score
I plan on using a Camp Chef Stove/Oven Combo, in my van. I was planning on permanently installing it in a cabinet, leaving about 2 inches of clearance on all sides. Anyone else do this?

I am very cautious about cooking in the van. Most of my cooking is done outside and then in bad weather inside only a one burner butane stove that I sit far away from everything else. I once set the stove on top of my refrigerator and did not notice until days later that I literally melted the smoke detector. It was just heat no smoke so didn’t go off. That experience taught me very little use of cooking equipment in the van and when I do it is set up in the middle of the van feet away from anything else. And I literally never take my eyes off of it until I remove the fuel can and put it away. You can call me chicken. But, at least I’m not a roasted chicken.

All I can recall goes along with one of Bob's YouTube videos about cooking inside a van during a live streaming. Someone asked him about a combo oven/stove. I believe this is the one that he was trying to remember. It's the really good looking red one.

Anyway he recalls a lot of issues with that unit. I remember there was a lot of people talking about its reliability too. So you might want to go online and search for YouTube reviews on the unit before you have a cabinet dedicated to it.

I was very interested in it about 7 years ago myself. An independent stove top makes sense.

Not enough clearance. You can get away with that clearance for a built in RV oven as they have insulation surrounding the oven. But that camp stove has no insulation on its sides

If you really desire an oven for indoor cooking you can have one. Just get a proper RV cooktop oven combo and build it in place with properly installed fuel supply lines to a bulk tank. There are used RV and surplus RV appliance outlets if your budget is tight.

I DO have a camp chef 2 burner with oven installed.

I also tested it at full heat for an hour to see how hot it actually got prior to installation and of course to burn off any residuals.

Even after that time the external surface was relatively cool to the touch there was only one spot at the very back where the oven exhausts out that was remotely warm. You can pick it up easily with bare hands... it is not going to set the place on fire.. contrary to what some may have you believe.

I have mine installed with about 2 inch clearance on the sides and the entire back is open..just how my layout happened to be.

2 inches is plenty of clearance. turn the oven on for a length of time and test for yourself. The heat emanating from the sides or below are not an issue at all.. but I would not have it to close to the ceiling.. in case of flare ups during cooking.

My experience, an actual user of the product. There are many vids about this on youtube.... from people who actually have the product..

Last place anyone should accept advice from is those with out the actual product. That would be like taking driving lessons from someone who never drove a car....

The Camp Chef stove/ovens are designed for outdoor use, so they take some care to install inside. The exterior surfaces carry the heat generated by the oven. A stove/oven designed to be installed in a cabinet in an RV has insulation to prevent all of the heat being transferring to the exterior surfaces, solving that problem. I have seen videos of installs in van cabinets with the Camp Chef models and use of insulation to separate the outer surfaces of the stove/oven from the cabinet was a necessary step. I think you can do it with proper precautions taken. The Atwood/Dometic RV Range Oven Cooktop I ordered for my build cost $500. and measures 16"H x 20-1/4"W x 17-3/4"D. You might want to compare the amount of space the Camp Chef plus insulation takes up vs that.

Depends on how much room you have and are willing to devote to the combo. Camp Chef is a great name, and they make solid products.

I have a regular cargo van, and just don't want to devote the kind of space a permanent installation of the Camp Chef combo would take. I like the Omnia Oven and my single-burner propane stove. The Omnia works great, the more I use it, the more impressed I am with how well it is designed. I am even using it more often in place of my beloved cast iron skillet.

desert_sailing said:
Last place anyone should accept advice from is those with out the actual product.

Agreed. But the first place would be from the manufacturer. If we are talking about this oven, Camp Chef refers to this as their OUTDOOR Oven.
https://www.campchef.com/deluxe-outdoor-camping-oven.html

The operating manual specifically states... "For OUTDOOR use only. Do NOT use in a building, garage or any other enclosed area. Do NOT use in or on recreational vehicles  or  boats.  NEVER  use  this  appliance as a heater."
https://www.campchef.com/media/manuals/COVEN_Manual.pdf

Guy

That sure is the truth isn't it gfish.

I always start with the manufacturers warnings and would suggest that as the  first point for any decision.

But we also know that in the sue happy culture we have, manufacturers have to take the route over precaution for their products. There are warnings on plastic bags to not put over the head and warnings to not get shampoo in our eyes...etc etc etc. ad nauseum.

Then on the other hand there are stacks of videos regarding vandwelling and a few "wink wink"  statements about how to safely use a 1lb propane cooker inside the van.. or which mr buddy system to use INSIDE a vehicle.

Indeed I wonder how many buildouts are within building/manufacturing rv codes?
There is no doubt that code compliance will be how the govts. will crackdown even harder on nomads.
I have a feeling very few people are following manufacturer instructions in much of their van builds.

As I mentioned to the OP, I am a user of this product. I do have it installed with about 2+/- inch of clearance on the sides. I have tested the surface temperature after it had been running on maximum setting for over an hour. And yes I did read the owners manual, including the fine print.

I have no problems with heat radiating in the mounting I have and it is unlikely that the OP will either. I have complete confidence that I wont suddenly combust while baking an apple pie and a roast.

Prudent and sensible precautions such as a heat test prior to installation, a smoke detector, a CO detector, a propane detector, proper connections should always be utilized.

BUT just because someone says that you cant do something doesnt mean you can't.  This tends to be a generational difference more often than not... if you know what I mean Vern?

How many folks paid a licensed electrician to install their battery and solar?

I have it so I can remove it and bring out side as well. I cant imagine using it  when its 100 degrees inside.
1628736262385.jpg

Attachments

• 1628736262385.jpg
    1628736262385.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 16
Cooking inside can also attract bears.

Dogs have a sense of smell about 40,000 times as good as humans.

Bears have a sense of smell FIVE TIMES as good as dogs. They can literally smell food from miles away.

Just in case that could be an issue.

Latest posts