Camco Olympian Wave 3 Heater

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scout said:
My wave 3 flares up during the 45-60 second startup right before I turn it to high. Has that happened to anyone else? It burns the hair off of my arms almost everytime it does it but it doesn't do it on every start up.

If by 'flares up' you are referring to the normal flashover that occurs during startup, you can reduce the level of that by lightly 'puffing' or blowing on the pad...this will distribute the LP a bit and of course, be careful, keep your face at least 2 feet away from the pad when starting it up.

izifaddag said:
Those legs seem to be another thing that gets a lot of complaints. They don't line up properly.
I have a different complaint about the legs.  They make storing the heater more challenging.  I leave them somewhat loose so they can be rotated when I put it away, but even so, they stick out behind the heater frame.  The Wave 3 "lives" under the bed in a Sterlite plastic box for convenience and protection.  Honestly, I plan to never use it in the van.  It's just a really expensive emergency item for now, but I'm glad it's there.

Finally got my Wave 3 installed and hooked up to propane, and used for the first time last night. It was very nice waking up with the heat still going! (Was using a Little Buddy before and it would only run for 5 hours before the tank ran out.) Not as much heat as the Little Buddy, although I also had the windows cracked more, and it's installed on the bulkhead so it's not very close to my bed (bed is in the back of the van). But overall I am very happy!

I believe the drip leg is for permanent lines. The diagram on page 3 shows the line going to a gas stove with the heater in the middle of run. So in the case of using in vehicle u dont need it.

Here is a picture of how i have my wave 3 set up in my cargo express van. I put the tank on basket hitch. Ran gas line up under bumper into door hinge area, door still closes. Then ran it under my bed to the heater i have hung on the door. Well i cant seem to attach the picture. Guess i will have to figure out how to get that tab to upload my picture. I chose the file but tab still says no file chosen.

Resized_20191221_085020.jpeg
Here's a photo of my Wave 3 attached to the side of a cabinet facing the bed. It was 29F this morning, but 62F inside. We did put in lots of insulation,  though- that helps bunches.

Attachments

• Resized_20191221_085020.jpeg
    Resized_20191221_085020.jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 12
are you trying to say you can't load a pic directly from your phone? highdesertranger

I live in a part Canada where the coldest nights in the winter can go down to approx. -30 C , -22 F.
From what I have heard, when it gets that cold the Olympian Wave 3 can not sufficiently heat even an insulated extended cargo van. If that is true, do you folks think I would be better off installing a single Wave 6 heater OR two Wave 3 heaters?
My thinking is that two Wave 3 heaters would give me a greater range of heating possibilities, from very little heat on slightly cool nights with one heater on low to lots of heat on extremely cold nights with both heaters on high, while the Wave 6 would give me a great deal of heat on its lowest setting up to lots of heat on its highest setting.
What do you all think?

(replying to post #90)

What size vehicle are you trying to heat, and is it insulated, and will you be spending the entire winter where it will be dropping below zero?

If this is a well-insulated minivan, for example, a single Wave 3 might still keep the deep chill chased away, assuming you will have a very good sleeping bag...but if this is a big bare cargo van or larger RV or trailer, then NO WAY will a Wave 3 make much difference, or even 2 of them.

You might need a Wave 8 in that scenario.

It's hard to give a good answer without more information about your plans and your vehicle.

Hi tx2sturgis.

Chevy Express extended cargo van. Will be insulated come next winter.

Ok, given the scenario as you have laid it out, I would recommend installing a Wave 6 and then keep a Little Buddy or Big Buddy heater nearby in case you DO need a lot more heat on a really cold and windy long winter night.

A Wave 6 has three settings, low mid and high...which will give you a wide range of settings.

I would absolutely buy (or make) a cover for it and always cover it when not in use.

Be sure to have a CO detector also.

Boy oh boy have these gone up in price!
Good thread, looks like a good heater.
I'm going to try and incorporate one into my build using a 5 pound tank.

If anyone has a link for a good deal on one, let me know, or if anyone wants to sell theirs...

I have a Wave 3 for sale and I'll ship it. I used it for 2 months and decided to go with the diesel heater instead. It will come with the legs and the fitting in the original box for $150 if anyone is interested.

Uncle Todo said:
Boy oh boy have these gone up in price!
Good thread, looks like a good heater.

If anyone has a link for a good deal on one, let me know, or if anyone wants to sell theirs...
I'm trying to sell one. Heater, legs, and fitting for $150. I ran two of the 11lb tanks through it and then put it back in its box.

PaBsTs said:
I'm trying to sell one. Heater, legs, and fitting for $150. I ran two of the 11lb tanks through it and then put it back in its box.

Where are you located?

Uncle Todo said:

A 5 pound tank is only one gallon or so....I have done this and a typical heater will burn thru this amount of propane in few days assuming 6 to 8 hours per night.

Minimum size for vehicle heating should be a 20 pounder. If you simply do not have room for a 20 pounder, then look at the 11 pounder tanks...you can get those in a tall, narrow profile. They are not cheap, however.